Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was bored… again

Robin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got the clipping sorted for larger images.

```
' Clip to screen
If y < 0 Then
    With rec
        .Top = .Top - y
    End With
    y = 0
End If

If x < 0 Then
    With rec
        .Left = .Left - x
    End With
    x = 0
End If

If y + height > DDSD_BackBuffer.lHeight Then
    rec.Bottom = rec.Bottom - (y + height - DDSD_BackBuffer.lHeight)
End If

If x + width > DDSD_BackBuffer.lWidth Then
    rec.Right = rec.Right - (x + width - DDSD_BackBuffer.lWidth)
End If
' End clipping

```

@The:

> Are you making this whole engine completely by yourself Robin? Seems like a hard job.

Pretty much by myself. I get Harold, Jacob and Joe (GIAKEN, Dugor and Mellowz to you commoners) to give me a hand with a few things.

I generally program by myself. There are very few people I would trust with my source code xD

Harold and his deep thoughts…

![](http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/857/rawrth.png)

@The:

> Quick questions? Do the trees give anything?

Not atm, but I've only just got them the way I want.

Next up is adding an object editor, to say whether it's a tree, rock, fishing spot, etc. that you want, and set the difficulty of the spot and possible items you got for successful 'gathering's.

It's now all generic and I have a sexy editor for objects. Going to rename it all to 'Resource' as well, as Object is something actually in the language which causes a lot of confusability.

![](http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2450/editora.png)

![](http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9115/mines.png)

@Xeross:

> Hey robin, so how hard would it be to code something like this for someone with a lot of programming experience ?
>
> I also love the graphics, can I know where you got em from because I want to use them for my game.
>
> Regards, Xeross

Depends what you mean by a lot of programming experience. The programming itself is easy, but the way I did it will confuse pretty much everyone.

Rather than rendering by tile, each object is cached in a dynamic array which is sent to the client and pushed through a dynamic array. The array stores some basic data and a pointer to the tile which it is set on.

So yeah, the original version, I made waaay back when on Winds Whisper is easy, this version is re-done to be generic and more complicated, but altogether faster and cleaner.

With a lot of programming experience I mean 4 years of programming experience and programming fully OOP. now OOP itself doesn't mean much but lets say I'm working on a complete PHP CMS following the MVC pattern. and well I think I'm nearing (or am already in) the level of experience a professional has (With certificates and everything).

The Object stuff sounds interesting, and I think that's how most modern MMOs work I think.

The only thing I really lack experience with is DirectX because I've never worked with it. and well I just kind of hate VB6

Regards, Xeross

@Xeross:

> With a lot of programming experience I mean 4 years of programming experience and programming fully OOP. now OOP itself doesn't mean much but lets say I'm working on a complete PHP CMS following the MVC pattern. and well I think I'm nearing (or am already in) the level of experience a professional has (With certificates and everything).
>
> The Object stuff sounds interesting, and I think that's how most modern MMOs work I think.
>
> The only thing I really lack experience with is DirectX because I've never worked with it. and well I just kind of hate VB6
>
> Regards, Xeross

To do something like this, you need to understand the program's src structure.

@Xeross:

> src structure, as in how the source was/is built ?
>
> Regards, Xeross

How the source works. You need to know where to put something to get it to work properly, hence you need to be experienced with the source code as well as the language.

@Xeross:

> Hmm, I agree on that. Going to dive into the source code some more in the near future. also one last question wait for SE or use EO/EE ? (Ofcourse modify it heavily).
>
> Regards, Xeross

I wouldn't use any. I hate using code which feels so dirty.