Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Am I the only one who takes a picture this way?

balliztik1

Just something I've noticed…

Why does everyone take a picture of them holding their camera/phone in the mirror? Wouldn't it make more sense to turn the camera around and look at it in the mirror? That's what I do if I need to line something up for a self-made shot. One, you don't get the camera flash in the pic. Two, you don't get the camera in the pic. Three, you're not looking away from the shot and at the screen. You can actually pose the picture how you want to. And four, you accomplish the same thing. You still see the camera screen in the mirror, and you still take the pic as you would before, but it turns out better.

I mean, really. It's annoying to see in a majority of Myspace/facepalm profiles, and unnecessarily so. Anyone else feel this way/care to indulge my ranty self?

If you think about why a mirror is made, it's so you can see the reflection of something you can't normally see. And if you think about why a camera is made, it's to take a picture of that which you are trying to preserve. The act of taking a picture of a reflection neglects the uses of both items. Firstly, it really doesn't involve the mirror, since the person looks at the camera. The reflection used so you can see yourself is not an issue here. Secondly, it's not using the camera to take the picture how you wanted. If you're trying to take a picture of yourself, do it, don't take a picture of a reflection of yourself. It's counter-productive.

@Godlord:

> When I see that, I'm thinking only this:
>
> A Mirror Slut (Lv. 2) has appeared.
>
> * ATTACK
> * ITEMS
> * RUN
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Eclipse RPG enemy, anyone? ;)

So while I was on the subject, I just went to rant over on Facebook. ;)

> **The "Mirror Pic": You're Doing it Wrong**
>
> Attention Facebook, I know you like your mirror pics, and I'ma let you finish, but taking a picture with a little bit of logic is one of the best ways to take pics of all time.
>
> Before diving into why it is a bad idea to take a mirror pic, we first examine the usages of the two primary elements of the mirror pic: the mirror and the camera.
>
> **The Mirror**
> Why do mirrors even exist? The sole purpose for a mirror is for us to see ourselves. Because of how vision works, we cannot look at ourselves, but only our reflection. The mirror is the tool that allows us to see this reflection in front of us.
>
> **The Camera**
> Why do cameras exist? The sole purpose of the camera is to take an image of something we want to either preserve, or share. We point the camera at said object, push the button, then are free to share, edit, store, or otherwise interact with the image as we see fit.
>
> **Why mirror pics defy all logic**
> With the established premise for the mirror and camera above, some basic examination shows that the archetypal mirror pic is using these tools in the wrong manner.
>
> 1\. The mirror is meant for us to see ourselves, not for others to see ourselves. Capturing ourselves in a mirror is pointless, since you can already take a picture of a non-reflected you.
>
> 2\. The camera is meant to take pictures of objects, not reflections. It's pointless to take a picture of a reflection simply because, unlike our eyes, a camera _can_ face any direction we need it to. We can take a picture of us, rather than a reflection of us.
>
> 3\. The mirrored element only serves to make a picture worse. There is no reason to compromise. You don't have to get the camera in the image. You don't have to get the flash in the image. You don't have to look at the back of the camera when taking the pic. And you can still accomplish the same thing. So why not?
>
> **What do?**
> There are two easy solutions. The first is to simply have someone else take your picture. However, this defeats the purpose of being able to take your own picture, so it's fairly useless as a solution. The second solution is to just reverse the logic of the mirror pic. Instead of taking a picture _of_ the mirror, take a picture by using the mirror. If you examine why we have the mirror or camera in the first place, you'll see the truth in their usage. Taking a picture of yourself should not mean reinventing the usage of the camera. The mirror is used to view that which we cannot see. In the mirror pic situation, the problem is that one cannot look at the back of the camera while taking the picture in front of you. The solution, then, is not to turn the camera around and take a picture of the mirror, but instead to use the mirror to look at the back of the camera as you aim it. This way, you're not taking a picture of a reflection, you still get what you accomplished to do, and you don't look like an utter moron in the process.
>
> Fair enough? I don't claim to be a photographer. I suck at it; I don't have a decent camera; it doesn't really interest me, etc. However, I do have some common sense and logic skills, and if anything, someone else could put it to good use. A _lot_ of someone elses.
>
> Love you all, though. ;D <3 Feel free to comment.

@Balliztik1:

> If you think about why a mirror is made, it's so you can see the reflection of something you can't normally see. And if you think about why a camera is made, it's to take a picture of that which you are trying to preserve. The act of taking a picture of a reflection neglects the uses of both items. Firstly, it really doesn't involve the mirror, since the person looks at the camera. The reflection used so you can see yourself is not an issue here. Secondly, it's not using the camera to take the picture how you wanted. If you're trying to take a picture of yourself, do it, don't take a picture of a reflection of yourself. It's counter-productive.
>
> Eclipse RPG enemy, anyone? ;)

Maybe people want to capture their image as they percieve it and not how it is. You see your reflection, that's your image perception, it's the one you are comfortable with. But it's never exactly the same as the image everyone else sees you.

A Dimensia Witch Slut (area boss)(Lv. 134) has appeared.
Dimensia Witch Slut's ability creates a barrier of Mirror Sluts around you! You cannot run away!

A Mirror Slut (Lv. 26) has appeared.

* ATTACK
* ITEMS
* RUN(Cannot be used)

Draothgorin Menu-
Attack
Sleep