> >
> > I thought staroffice = openoffice?
>
> http://why.openoffice.org/
>
> ???
>
> i still say notepad.
> a) you can create html files with it (save file as. html…)
> b) easy to control
> c) lol dont know

Notepad is fine for notes.
For full pieces of structured writing, I want formatting. ¬¬

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Zetta:

> gedit > wordpad > notepad
>
> I thought staroffice = openoffice?

StarOffice seems to be the commercial version, while OpenOffice seems to be the open source and free version. Ironically, they're currently both free as Solaris 10 is free, and ironically both Solaris and OpenSolaris are now free.

@SHADERS:

> @Zetta:
>
> > gedit > wordpad > notepad
> >
> > I thought staroffice = openoffice?
>
> http://why.openoffice.org/
>
> ???
>
> i still say notepad.
> a) you can create html files with it (save file as. html…)
> b) easy to control
> c) lol dont know

(X)HTML can't render my formulae unless you're using ML or (La)TeX or something similar. Also why write (X)HTML, CSS and perhaps Javascript while you can just use a formatted and extension-based text editor instead? Which, on top of that, can actually export to/save as (X)HTML.

If you really want Notepad that badly, I recommend you to use ~~vi~~ a fucking magnet instead. Just because you want so much pain in your ass.

@[SB:

> Soul link=topic=55553.msg587804#msg587804 date=1261279559]
> Notepad was never meant to be used as an official editor. It's for notes, hence the name.
>
> I think WordPad is a simple version of MS Word (except a lot worse…) but OpenOffice sounds better.

WordPad is an ancient Microsoft application, which barely supports formatting.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> @[SB:
>
> > Soul link=topic=55553.msg587804#msg587804 date=1261279559]
> > Notepad was never meant to be used as an official editor. It's for notes, hence the name.
> >
> > I think WordPad is a simple version of MS Word (except a lot worse…) but OpenOffice sounds better.
>
> WordPad is an ancient Microsoft application, which barely supports formatting.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

But it supports Formatting :D.

@[SB:

> Soul link=topic=55553.msg587806#msg587806 date=1261279792]
> @Godlord:
>
> > @[SB:
> >
> > > Soul link=topic=55553.msg587804#msg587804 date=1261279559]
> > > Notepad was never meant to be used as an official editor. It's for notes, hence the name.
> > >
> > > I think WordPad is a simple version of MS Word (except a lot worse…) but OpenOffice sounds better.
> >
> > WordPad is an ancient Microsoft application, which barely supports formatting.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Godlord.
>
> But it supports Formatting :D.

My partition manager also supports formatting.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> @[SB:
>
> > Soul link=topic=55553.msg587806#msg587806 date=1261279792]
> > @Godlord:
> >
> > > @[SB:
> > >
> > > > Soul link=topic=55553.msg587804#msg587804 date=1261279559]
> > > > Notepad was never meant to be used as an official editor. It's for notes, hence the name.
> > > >
> > > > I think WordPad is a simple version of MS Word (except a lot worse…) but OpenOffice sounds better.
> > >
> > > WordPad is an ancient Microsoft application, which barely supports formatting.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >   Godlord.
> >
> > But it supports Formatting :D.
>
> My partition manager also supports formatting.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

wrong kind of formatting

Does it support:
Adobe Acrobat Document
Flash Document
IVPSvM Document
Mircosoft Equation 3.0
Microsoft Graph Chart
Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet
Microsoft Office Excel Binary Worksheet
Microsoft Office Excel Chart
Microsoft Office Excel Macro-Enabled
Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet
Microsoft Office Powerpoint 97-2003 Object
Microsoft Office Powerpoint 97-2003 Slide
Microsoft Office Powerpoint Macro-Enabled Presentation
Microsoft Office Powerpoint Macro-Enabled Slide
Microsoft Office Powerpoint Presentation
Microsoft Office Powerpoint Slide
Microsoft Office Word Document
Microsoft Office Word Macro-Enabled Document
Microsoft Word Document
Microsoft Word Picture
Microsoft Works Spreadsheet
Package
Paintbrush Picture
WordPad Document
Objects?

@[SB:

> Soul link=topic=55553.msg587814#msg587814 date=1261281110]
> Does it support:
> Adobe Acrobat Document
> Flash Document
> IVPSvM Document
> Mircosoft Equation 3.0
> Microsoft Graph Chart
> Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet
> Microsoft Office Excel Binary Worksheet
> Microsoft Office Excel Chart
> Microsoft Office Excel Macro-Enabled
> Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet
> Microsoft Office Powerpoint 97-2003 Object
> Microsoft Office Powerpoint 97-2003 Slide
> Microsoft Office Powerpoint Macro-Enabled Presentation
> Microsoft Office Powerpoint Macro-Enabled Slide
> Microsoft Office Powerpoint Presentation
> Microsoft Office Powerpoint Slide
> Microsoft Office Word Document
> Microsoft Office Word Macro-Enabled Document
> Microsoft Word Document
> Microsoft Word Picture
> Microsoft Works Spreadsheet
> Package
> Paintbrush Picture
> WordPad Document
> Objects?

See "Files". Unless you aren't using a real file system, they are all supported as for embedding.

Regards,
  Godlord.

http://alternativeto.net/desktop/microsoft-word/

Open Office takes the cake here. also, if youre wanting to save in a specific format to fit most word editors, try saving as .rtf cuz its word compatible and such. not sure if open office saves as that though.

@Chief:

> http://alternativeto.net/desktop/microsoft-word/
>
> Open Office takes the cake here. also, if youre wanting to save in a specific format to fit most word editors, try saving as .rtf cuz its word compatible and such. not sure if open office saves as that though.

.doc is the universal standard because Windows doesn't conform to standards; it makes its own. Godlord can fill in the rest if you want to object to that.

@Zetta:

> @Chief:
>
> > http://alternativeto.net/desktop/microsoft-word/
> >
> > Open Office takes the cake here. also, if youre wanting to save in a specific format to fit most word editors, try saving as .rtf cuz its word compatible and such. not sure if open office saves as that though.
>
> .doc is the universal standard because Windows doesn't conform to standards; it makes its own. Godlord can fill in the rest if you want to object to that.

See (Back-up provided):

* Visual J# - Implementation of Java 1.1 with no standard on Microsoft for Microsoft-only purposes.
* Visual C# - Combination of C++ and Java 1.1/J# with no standard as they got sued for J#, again for Microsoft-only purposes.
* Visual C++ - Where official standard functions are marked and treated as deprecated and replaced with Microsoft-only functions. (e.g. strcpy is deprecated and replaced by the Microsoft-only strcpy_s)
* The DOCX file format - Which just isn't a proper file format at all, simply because it is based on a standard, but not conform to it. On top of that, the implementation of Microsoft fails epically.
* File Extensions - If you know how to hack around with those things, you can actually procude destructive files on the Windows platform, that's one of the many reasons why MIME exists.
* COM - A Microsoft-only implementation available on their platform and although other software and platform provides COM, this is usually their own version and not the same as Microsoft's COM. Problems with Microsoft COM are mainly design issues.
* .net - A Microsoft-only virtual machine mainly meant to compete with the already existing and well-developed Java virtual machines. Virtual machines like Mono are unofficial and Microsoft is actually against them. They cover this up by saying that it will replace COM in the future.
* Internet Explorer - Was available for Mac OS, Windows, Windows CE/Mobile, UNIX and BSD. Is currently only available for Windows and Windows CE. Internet Explorer is not conform to any of the de facto web standards and only scores about 20% on the Acid3 test.
* XHTML is and remains unsupported in Internet Explorer. (See above)
* CSS is not implemented properly in Internet Explorer. (See above)
* ActiveX - A product or file format which came forth out of COM. Due its lack of proper protection and safe guards, it's actually dangerous and it's again a Microsoft-only product.
* Windows 1.0 - 3.1, 9x and ME - Operating systems that run on top of MS-DOS causing all sort of issues such as the infamous BSOD.
* Windows NT - A kernel developed since 1993, which took Microsoft about a decade to get it right and only three years to screw it over again (See: Windows Vista).
* Windows XP - The best Windows of all time and still filled with issues here and there.
* Windows Vista and 7 - Whereas Vista came with all sort of diseases and issues, such as the User Account Control, Windows 7 was meant to fix those. They have been fixed, but not properly. I once even stated that it is better to run X11 instead of Aero as window manager, which is still true, in my opinion.
* The User Account Control - Microsoft's implementation of the UNIX-equivalent root or superuser. The only thing it does though is frustrating users instead of protecting them against potential vurnabilities.
* OpenGL - Microsoft's implementation runs slower than DirectX as it runs on top of DirectX. However, the SGI implementation for Microsoft Windows actually runs way faster than DirectX. Resulting in all sort of myths about OpenGL vs. DirectX. Whereas in fact OpenGL is faster than DirectX, that is, if you don't use Windows Vista as Microsoft screwed over OpenGL on Vista (as well as on 7, most likely).
* IPv6 - The upcoming IP-standard is implemented on most UNICES and Microsoft Windows already, however Microsoft Windows fails to support this properly, especially since they don't support half of the BSD functions and as the only two operating systems with so-called full support are Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 7.
* Winsock - Microsoft's implementation of BSD sockets for the Windows platform, however, it fails to provide full BSD-compatibility and even has WSA functions instead which aren't actually used (unless you count WSAInit and WSACleanup). On top of that you can only get proper IPv6-support when using the WSA-functions instead of their BSD-compatibility layer.
* Windows API - Their ancient API which has all kinds of issues such as DWORD, which isn't a cross-platform type and which should only be used in Assembly.
* DirectPlay - An useless Winsock wrapper.
* Windows NT as microkernel - Somewhere announced in 2000: "Microsoft Windows NT will be a microkernel". A decade later is where we currently are and there is still no microkernel, even though there seem to be user-mode drivers, probably a result of this attempt, they epically failed at.
* GDI - Microsoft's API and functioning for drawing their windows. One of the issues is that this usually leaks resources, especially on the older Windows versions. Hence why GDI+ has been released and why DirectDraw is used instead since Windows Vista, even though DirectDraw has no future anymore (Support and updates have been dropped).
* etc.

This is definitely not the whole list but actually a smart part of all the issues Microsoft caused by not being conform to de facto standards, keeping their monopoly up and various other things. Also I'm currently waiting for Microsoft Visual D and/or Microsoft Visual D++ and/or Microsoft Visual D# to happen.

Also, if you're currently using .net, I recommend you to switch over to native immediately as native will stand out forever on the Microsoft Windows platform while .net probably will not. (See the dropped VB6-support (caused by the latter) as well as the dropped COM-support.)

**Conclusion**: standards usually tend to revolve around Microsoft and if they don't, Microsoft just makes their own. Hence why .doc is the universal format instead of .rtf. Another reason though, is that .rtf supports less than .doc.

Regards,
  Godlord.

1) Get a C/C++ compiler.
2) Copy this to a file called 'main.c' or 'main.cpp':
```
void ShowBSOD() /* Windows 95, 98 and ME only. */
{
for(int *p = (int *)0x00010000;;*(p++) = 0);
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
ShowBSOD();

return 0;
}
```3) Run it on Windows 95, 98 or ME.
4) Enjoy.

Or without a compiler:
1) Open Command Prompt on Windows 95, 98 or ME.
2) Type "debug".
3) Type "-f ffff:0000 ffff ff".
4) Enjoy.

Regards,
  Godlord.