Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reclamation (Game Idea)

Troy

ok so ive been thinking of a new game, it is called Reclamation (Could change) the game has a deep storyline and lore behind it but im not giving it all away, unless i get enough support… any way back to the game. (Might point out before your read that it is set in Medieval times like most MMORPGs)

Extract of my Written Storyline.

over 10 years ago the Arch-Lich Akthor summoned a mighty army of the undead and begun to lay siege to the world of Delnothia many once beautiful places now lay in rubble. Their last target, the city of    Sunfall the largest of the city's in the world. Your home is at stake here, as the hero you must save the city from being destroyed.

ok here is a list of features:
- Loads of bosses
- Monthly in-game Events in which you can grab some great items
- Deeeeeeeeeeep Storyline/lore… deeper than the pacific ocean!
- Legendary Weps. Legends Sword, Legends Staff, Legends Bow
- Legendary Armor, (This will be later in the progression/release of the game)
- Massive map, over 500 maps BEFORE the release of the game.
- High Scores, nothing like being imprinted into history like a hi-scores table!
- Class Progression:
Brawler > Fighter > Warrior > Knight  >>>>>> v
Caster > Apprentice > Mage > Wizard  >>>>> Hero (Requires hard work but is great in everything)
Slinger > Ranger > Archer > Royal Archer >>> ^
- And Much more!

Please tell me if you think its interesting and/or if it has potential.

Great Storyline, bigger than any other Eclipse Games or most MMO's

Scenario's in-game made by me/other workers put out to the players that can change the future of the game…

Once the Player reachs the top level of a class he/she is given the oppertunity to take on another class, like the following:

Player: *becomes a Royal Archer* (receives Class Token)
Player: *walks to class training place*
Player: *Becomes a caster*

(Class Tokens are given to those who have worked hard to receive the top level of that class, Achieve all 3 and they can be redeemed for Hero Class)

@pink: if ur tryn to make his project look bad, you doing a good job.
@Troy: i find that 500 maps b4 release is awesome. ur class evolution sounds interesting. bosses and events are always fun. keep up the good work and dont let jealous or life hating ppl tell ur that ur game is unoriginal cause most mmos all resemble each other and they still work out.

@pink: lol.. the guy obviously doesnt want that kind of comment. picture urself in his shoes and him in ur shoes. im sure u wouldnt like posts like that in ur WIP or w/e lol. that was my point.

@dezire: agreed, if bosses are gonna be a huge thing in ur game, make sure ppl to add such msg. u can also just make it onnpcdeath or w/e the sub is call u can check to see if the npc is greater than or equal to npc#100 and less than or equal npc#150 and then u make the bosses in number 100 to 150 and regular npc from #1 to 100

@dezire,greendude…Unforunatly i dont know scripting yet, but stuff like this will be sorted out before the release.

@pink your project was nothing special (what? you asked =P)

also looking for some good Undead Sprites if anyone could contribute ill give them some Credit upon release.

Your classes aren't that great, and you'll need to source edit the engine to even make advanced class trees function properly.

Also, although it's good you have or want a "deep" storyline and set of lore – that sets up great atmosphere for a game, but you shouldn't rely on it as one of your features; when you break stories down everything has some simplistic theme in common... i.e. Dragon Age: Origins is a blatant generic LotR ripoff, but it's presented well.

Another thing I was thinking, since your game name is "Reclaimation" I was thinking you have no in-game economic systems or anything; I'd thought perhaps you fight demons from an area, and then it becomes your land to tend or sell. Reclaiming dark tainted lands that were previously overrun in some plague or war or blight or whatever in your game history story.

But instead you just have the same generic kill-ambiguous-antagonizing-force MMO that we already have plenty of. So get a better hook.
;)

Take this a lot slower. The idea is good if you accomplish everything. Start with a town and its outskirts, develop the area, make a second, huge castle-town and add a forest. Keep developing, show us your developments, and publically release them. Invest in a Domain Name. And be sure you understand you will need to work very, very hard. You'll be fine if you do all of that.

@Anna, there is never anything "fully" unique but i can make it as Unique as possible e.g Swords and Magic have to be used at some point in an MORPG (if its a medieval themed game).

also ive been thinking of a "Undead" race called "The Rebellion" this race fights the Evil Undead (undead raised by the Arch-Lich) while also fighting the humans, Creating a 3 way fight. (Un-original you're probs thinking but i can explain more in-depth if you like)

Reclamation is about the reclaiming of the land. New/recovered land will come after week long events, if the all players combined dont kill a certain amount of Undead within the week they do not get any new land. this can also happen in reverse where you must defend an area. Polls put up on the website (which im yet to create) choose Whether to:

Attack - Gain new land

Forage - Adds to land (Shops, Houses and overall resources to an existing town)

Defend - Adds defense's (NPC Soldiers, Walls, more likely for undead to fail on an attack. NOTE: if area doesn't have enough resources it wont be nominated to be improved)

The idea of players own'ing land is pretty bad though since one player could own every peice of land, pretty unfair dontcha think?? xD

@Troy:

> @Anna, there is never anything "fully" unique but i can make it as Unique as possible e.g Swords and Magic have to be used at some point in an MORPG (if its a medieval themed game).

Exactly why you shouldn't rely on your "deep" story then.

> also ive been thinking of a "Undead" race called "The Rebellion" this race fights the Evil Undead (undead raised by the Arch-Lich) while also fighting the humans, Creating a 3 way fight. (Un-original you're probs thinking but i can explain more in-depth if you like)

Oh wow really pressing the envelope there…

> Reclamation is about the reclaiming of the land. New/recovered land will come after week long events, if the all players combined dont kill a certain amount of Undead within the week they do not get any new land. this can also happen in reverse where you must defend an area. Polls put up on the website (which im yet to create) choose Whether to:
>
> Attack - Gain new land
>
> Forage - Adds to land (Shops, Houses and overall resources to an existing town)
>
> Defend - Adds defense's (NPC Soldiers, Walls, more likely for undead to fail on an attack. NOTE: if area doesn't have enough resources it wont be nominated to be improved)

Website polls are stupid, if you have such a system it should be in-game somehow to maintain world immersion.

> The idea of players own'ing land is pretty bad though since one player could own every peice of land, pretty unfair dontcha think?? xD

Then balance the system. It's not like ANY PvP isn't unfair at some points anyway, derp.

All I'm saying, is your ideas are nothing special, and they are not new, not even in this community. It's good that you've shared them to develop ideas further. But I still think your ideas have nothing that is particularly interesting, as it's all the same medieval fantasy battle against good and evil / chaos and order / whatever. We've all played that many times before.

@Troy:

> @greendude120, im glad your interested i aim to make the game succeed  unlike most makers.

One of the most foolish things I've read around here for a while. You think the majority of game developers do NOT aim to develop a successful game? Their games don't fail because they intended them to…

It's one thing to say your game is going to be huge, deep, and successful. Accomplishing this however...

@Kreator:

> It's one thing to say your game is going to be huge, deep, and successful. Accomplishing this however…

Im not saying its gonna be successful, it could flop thats why i create threads like these before going straight to WIP.

it seems this idea wont work… looks like im back to the drawing board.

You can't know if an idea will work until it's actually made into something.

But you should start small; you aren't particularly new to Eclipse (a 4-digit user number) so you should have played around with Eclipse for a little bit and know the general functionality. Eclipse can make decent small-scale MMO games with little trouble, really.

Nothing in your ideas was wrong, it just was not particularly unique or exciting; most of it was pretty generic. It could all work fine if you make a clean, small game that was fun to play; but that's what you can't find out until you make something.

thanks for the advice but the idea itself is aiming too high for my knowledge, and running an mmo has never been my strong point

(getting a hoster, graphics etc)

and yes i have a 4 digit number. i have great experience in mapping and story and thats about it.

This idea was scrapped because i was simply aiming too high. not because no one liked it.