Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rate This Map!

Capeless

I give it about a 5 since the raised land is too square and you have strange wood-posts sticking out of the ground. The overall map pays attention to realism and detail while some parts are too bland. It's nothing spectacular. I don't like the random "broken bridge" piece you threw in there since it limits the navigation of where the player can go. You could use some more scenery around the wooden fence there at the bottom of the map and maybe add more "stuff" to the raised ground to give your overall map a more full look.

2.5/5

You need to add some grass to the ground because the ground tileset your using looks too blank.  Also, a lot of the 'detail' you put in the river really doesn't go there and also doesn't match because theres no shadow.  The cliff is also too rectangular.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the rules of this forum or with the internet at all, but I'm just including rule 1.2 here:
@Godlord:

> The Rules of the Game
>
> **1.2\. Images.**
>
> **There are a few rules as for images actually. All images uploaded and shown in a topic, in the shout box or in a reply must be using the image format PNG (Portable Network Graphics), JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) or GIF (Graphics Interchange Format). For animated images GIF (Graphics Interchange Format) and APNG (Animated Portable Network Graphics) are allowed to be used. As for vector graphics, you should use SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics). All the other image formats are discouraged and the use of BMP may result in a warning, simply because it is not funny to use a huge image.**
>
> As for the actual size itself. Theoretically, any size is allowed, however, you should keep in mind that not everybody on this forum has 1920x1080 as their resolution. Therefore, we encourage the use of the width and height property. In the case of a normal forum topic or reply you should use 640 as the width and 480 as the height. In the case of the shout box, you should use 150 as the width and the height doesn't matter, as it auto-resizes. If you want you can link the image as well using the code below (where src is the URL or the link to the image):
> ```
> For topics and replies:
> [url][img]src[/img][/url]
>
> For the shout box:
> [url][img]src[/img][/url]
> ```
> If your image file is more than one MB or if you're posting in a topic where there are a lot images, then please use just linking instead of the image tag. See the code below:
> ```
> [url]title or description of my image here[/url]
> ```
>
> Regards,
>   The Forum Administration Team.

Anyway, "Silver Cave.bmp" looks too plain and the "bridge", hedge and path look way to odd, in my opinion. I'm also missing the naturalism in this map. Your trees are fine, not like if they were planted by humans, but the rest just looks weird and not really natural.

"Camp Site.bmp" looks a bit too chaotic. The fallen trees used for you camp should be used in another way. There's no transition between the path and the wooden bridge. The things floating on the water don't seem to great. And all by all there's same problem as with the previous map and that is that it doesn't really look natural, especially since there are tables, chairs and a lantern.

"Screenshot_2.bmp" looks, like you mentioned, completely unfinished and I'd have finished this before posting it. Problem with the map is basically the same as with the previous maps and that is the natural feeling, it is absent. Another problem is that it looks too plain.

What I'd do if I were you is quite simple actually: if I wanted some sort of naturalism in my maps, I'd try to use different levels as for the hills, like for instance three or four different levels. Then map rocks like they are in nature. Just try this yourself and if you do it right, you'll see what for an effect something like that would cause. What I surely wouldn't do is leave maps plain or fill them up so they look chaotic, because that just won't work. Your main problem would probably be trying to use an incomplete, or what I call incomplete, tileset. It might probably be best to create your very own tileset from the start, although that would require some additional work (including reading tutorials about pixel art). At the end that would actually pay off, so don't worry about the additional learning process and everything, that shouldn't be a problem at all. Something that might interest you as well are the mapping tutorials made by Soljah and Anna Comnena, they both know the subject very well and they have both written tutorials with tips and all, but what I surely would do is make my very own tilesets, because if you do that, it'll be easier for you to map more naturalistic areas as the current tilesets are limited, but will work though to some extend as some people have made great maps with them (e.g. Anna Comnena, Kreator, Spainion, etc.; if I remember well).

Regards,
  Godlord.

@RavenStylez:

> QUESTION HERE!
> Some things in the eclipse client/server must use .bmp (except for when you source edit / script)
> If you upload an image for this case… isn't it allowed to use .bmp than as well?

That's actually off-topic, but the answer is quite simple: if you want to distribute tilesets, spritesheets, whatever you should use PNG, which is lossless by the way. If someone downloads the graphics, they can simply use it as it only requires MS Paint to convert them back to BMP and the quality wouldn't be affected because PNG is, as I mentioned before, lossless. The reason why Eclipse doesn't support PNG is because DirectX 7 doesn't, or not directly as there are some ways to get PNG-images to work.

Regards,
  Godlord.

~~Not sure if you read my other reply, but I encourage you to use PNG instead.~~

@BubbleTrouble:

> @Kreator:
>
> > Upload as .png. Reduce that file size from 900kb to 90.
>
> How? Lol I'm kinda newb at that? Explain please ;)

Open the file in Microsoft Paint and save it as a PNG file.

"Screenshot_0 (2).bmp": the foundation is there, perhaps some transition problem in the water. The thing that annoys me in this map are the fences. Other than that I have not much to say in this case.

"Screenshot_0.bmp": the foundation seems to be great here, except that the transition looks a bit unnatural and that the top isn't finished. The boats next to each other don't seem to fit, I'd remove one of them and perhaps both and move the boat at the bottom more to the top. Another problem is that the boxes look a bit too structured, I'd actually expect some smaller boxes as well so that there are some oddities so that it doesn't look too perfect.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@BubbleTrouble:

> @Kreator:
>
> > Upload as .png. Reduce that file size from 900kb to 90.
>
> How? Lol I'm kinda newb at that? Explain please ;)

0_0'

As Godlord said, use any image editor to save it as a different format. Click Save us, then in the dropdown menu choose .png. PNG reserves all quality, while reducing the filesize a heck load. Whatever you do though, don't save as GIF or JPEG.