Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sink or Swim game development

RyokuHasu

Recently there have been a few Discussions about Handing everything to a noob developer on a silver platter or letting them figure stuff out on their own

I agree with Pandora's recent statements, one should learn the tools they are using, however not all the tuts are there for how to use this at it's basic values. but some most basic Networking and Computer Science skill are minimally required. i.e. Port forwarding, basic Knowledge of how IPs and ports work, ability to edit text Files, ability to both find and accurately describe where a file is. These are the things to google'd because it's kinda assumed that you have basic knowledge of such things before you want to make a game, hobby or otherwise. Game development  falls under computer science no matter how you look at it and there are prerequisites to it. 

Personally I believe that letting them sink or swim on their own is the best approach. Asking questions is nice but there is a thresh hold betwen a development question and a "I can't get it to work" question, the former is ok to ask, the latter is what one needs to figure out for themselves if they want to use an engine. In the projects board it's generally the technical people and people that actually took the time to really learn their environment made the promising and really nice looking games/projects. Sure game development can be a fun hobby and lot's of average Joes just want to jump right into it. However it's not a hobby for the average Joe, Just like Skateboarding is the hobby to many people If I ride one it would end badly every time because I do not have the aptitude or natural skills for such a contraption, same goes for Game design, it's not for everyone! You might have a nice Idea but if you lack the skills or ability to acquire the skills needed then you should probably team up with someone who has the skills you are missing.

Forming a team with people is the best way to save yourself from sinking! It's best to team with people you know and live by but if you can't try to find people online to help with your project. That's the other side of most of the good projects on the boards with that they are made by a team of people working together. Now a team doesn't mean you get people to do EVERYTHING for you, you have to contribute your fair share Generally the team leader is the person who writes the story for the game and creates the setting, that the game takes place in, designing every town, every location, story progression, and many other things. If you aren't Technical start with these and you should be able to find a team willing to make it a game with you.

So what are some other thoughts about the subject?

You should find a team leader, or become a team leader. Working on your own is not a wise decision, but if you are completely new to game development you should just make prototype games in Construct 2, Game Maker, RPG Maker, or another engine such as Eclipse. But, no I believe they should be expected to do it on their own and not be given it to them on a silver platter.

I believe in helping whenever possible. Obviously nothing should be handed to anyone on a silver platter. If you aren't willing to put in the hard work it takes to make a game, then you don't deserve to reap the rewards. I also don't think it's fair to others when "Noobs" over-ask for help. It's one thing when help is urgently needed because they literally have no where else to turn, but when they keep asking for a new script, a new graphic, basically a new resource all the time, it becomes an annoyance and that is where I draw the line.

On the flip side, I do offer help to people when they need it and I have the answer. Just because I'm fortunate enough to be in college doesn't mean I need to be an ass and purposely withhold information. If I can help, I usually do because before I went to school and learned, the knowledge of other people was my only resource. Yes you can use google, but nothing beats information from someone with experience.

Basically it boils down to what kind of questions are acceptable to ask for the giving help portion of the topic. 

Good Question Examples:

- I'm having trouble with designing this new feature for my game, but I cant get this part to work quite right, can someone help?

- I Finished working on a large map and saved it, then my client crashed, what do I do? (proceeded to give proper details and relevant information)

- Anyone want to help me with a few Pixel art things for my game? I need help with this, this, and this at the moment.

Bad Question Examples:

- Will someone make a new custom feature for me? I need it to Do this, this, and this. Please I need it right now.

- My game isn't working! HELP ME! I don't know what's Wrong! (proceeds to give no details and shit for information) 

- I need some game resources to fill my entire game with, let me know when you have them all.

If more people would have questions along the lines o the first set then Sure I'd help them. Anyone asking similar to the second set shouldn't be doing game creation.

A lot of times the question is just getting the engine to work in the first place, there are many tutorials on how to do that, maybe a quick search instead of asking first would be better!