Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to make a pokemon mmo

antho3000

Yeaaaah you are going to have to know a great deal about programming with Eclipse via VB6 and sadscript…The amount of work needed for a project like this would be insane. Not saying you cannot do it, but you need to be knowledgeable with programming and have tons of dedication.

In addition to what the last two posts stated, I can tell already you won't be able to do this just from the vagueness of your post. You typed that out in two seconds and just expect someone to walk you through making a Pokemon based MMO from scratch?

Your best bet is to learn a programming language, and make your own engine; don't even use eclipse.

@Lam3r:

> Your best bet is to learn a programming language, and make your own engine; don't even use eclipse.

Great way to discourage new users from using our engine Lam3r :icon_nif:
Besides, if you feel the user won't be able to implement a pokemon battle system into Eclipse, why would you recommend leaving the engine and trying to write something from scratch?

Also, in regards to the rest of your post (about the vagueness leading to the fact that he won't be able to do it); do remember when Miguu came to Eclipse asking how to work out a 2d mmo, his opening post was something along the lines of asking for a jump script like, "How do I make make it so when the user enters xxx key, he goes up one tile and goes back down???", and even his post introducing the sidescrolling concept, he said something like "Can there be a version of Eclipse that is a sidescroller?"; well, he's the one that released project vertigo, in all its fully-sidescrolling glory XD

But yeah, it's like I say various times; anything is possible with this engine (Kite made a First Person Shooter in Eclipse, though he didn't get too far with it), and OP were to learn Visual Basic 6, and familiarize himself with the engine, he could pull this off.

Encouragement; that's nothing we need to see more of on Eclipse; if people encourage new members instead of putting them down, you really can see greatness come out of some of them.

Gah, this is what happens when I post after having my Organizational Psychology class XD!

tl;dr: Start encouraging new users instead of telling them they can't do it; you'll be surprised how much someone can accomplish when they're encouraged to do so :)

i would normally agree with you, but seeying im making a pokemon game myself, i think im more then qualified to say this.

im working on it for almost 2 years now, and its hell… so excuse me if i tell a noob he cant just waltz in and ask how to do it, he should first make a normal game with eclipse, then, when he made one, after multiple tries(we all know thats how it works) then he can ask for pointers.

this is not for discouraging new members, its for letting them know its not as easy as they think, new users tend to think

its easy to build a game ya know...

and now after reading again i see its not even directed at me xD oh well :)

Damian666

@[SB:

> Damian666 link=topic=58703.msg621629#msg621629 date=1269444594]
> i would normally agree with you, but seeying im making a pokemon game myself, i think im more then qualified to say this.
>
> im working on it for almost 2 years now, and its hell… so excuse me if i tell a noob he cant just waltz in and ask how to do it, he should first make a normal game with eclipse, then, when he made one, after multiple tries(we all know thats how it works) then he can ask for pointers.
>
> this is not for discouraging new members, its for letting them know its not as easy as they think, new users tend to think
>
> its easy to build a game ya know...
>
> and now after reading again i see its not even directed at me xD oh well :)
>
> Damian666

Yeah, I wasn't directing it to you; I also wasn't saying it's not hard work.

What I'm saying, is that everyone is a newb at one point, and just because they don't know how to do things now, that doesn't mean they aren't able to learn how.

And when someone comes on asking how to make something like this, and someone replies, "You can't do it, you're better off leaving Eclipse", that's not the same thing as telling them that it's difficult.
Do you know where I'm getting at, or?