Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Speed and Magic issue (ES)

chiccora

I know there are problems with the Speed and Magic constants in Eclipse Stablen (And other versions of Eclipse). I know there are topics about this in the Stable topic and the Known bugs sub board but I want to know EXACTLY how I can fix this today. At first the magic and speed variants were in opposite positions and I think Godlord's Main 9.x fixed that however here is the problem I am currently dealing with:

The attributes go like this:

LEVEL
MAGIC
SPEED
STRENGTH
DEFENSE
Now if I have some points and I click to add it to the Magic variant..it will say YOU HAVE GAINED MORE MAGIC…however the point will be added to the speed attribute row. However, one good thing is that the attributes are not totally messed up, because although when adding a point to magic and it ends up in the speed column; the MP will increase, there for the proper stat is still gaining the stat point. I just want to know how to fix it so that when i add a point to magic OR speed, that it shows in the stat screen under that attribute and not the other one.

Can someone help me how to do this..I am assuming therew ill be some edits in the source made, if so can someone people help me a bit with this and what to do exactly..I attached a screenshot to show the problem.

**The screen shot shows a character who originally had 1 speed and 1 magic..the character gained a level and decided to add 1 point to magic as you can read in the battle log however when adding the point it shows You have gained more magic but it shows the new point in the speed section. Also the MP has increased by 10 meaning that the attribute point is being added to the right stat, its just that its showing up in the speed section**

@chiccora:

> Nooo that part of the main is not messed up..I think its a problem somewhere in the source

It is and has been for a long time now. People started complaining about it, since they thought it was my main. But EE 2.7 has the exact same problem as well.

Regards,
  Godlord.

• 4 weeks later...
@New2Eclipse:

> look in main.ess and change this bit
>
> ' Stat constants
> Public Const STAT_STRENGTH = 0
> Public Const STAT_DEFENCE = 1
> Public Const STAT_SPEED = 2
> Public Const STAT_MAGIC = 3
>
> it worked 4 me :)

i had same problem but this fix it tnx :)

@Raiko:

> @New2Eclipse:
>
> > look in main.ess and change this bit
> >
> > ' Stat constants
> > Public Const STAT_STRENGTH = 0
> > Public Const STAT_DEFENCE = 1
> > Public Const STAT_SPEED = 2
> > Public Const STAT_MAGIC = 3
> >
> > it worked 4 me :)
>
> I had same problem but this fix it tnx :)

That halfway fixed it for me. It now puts the effects in the proper position but the number goes to the other one. Is there no fix for that?

Ok I've been looking through the E-Stable to see if I can't figure out whats going on and I have only partially managed to fix it.  Heres what you do need to do in order to full fix it.

In both the client and the Server, there are packets that send the stats back and forth, the problem is that some packets send the stats in this order,

STR-DEF-MAGI-SPEED

while others send it in this order

STR-DEF-SPEED-MAGI

Now from what I can see with the way its structured,  the correct order is supposed to be the second one,  STR-DEF-SPEED-MAGI.  So inorder to fix the problems you need to go into both sources and look for any packets that are not sending the data in the right order, and flip them around.  I will post some of what I've found but be cautioned that this doesnt fix the entire thing, there is still an issue with it giving you energy when you level up speed.

==SERVER SIDE==

-Open ModHandelData and find
```
Public Sub Packet_UseStatPoint

```
-look down in the select case part for

```
Case 2
Call SetPlayerMAGI(index, GetPlayerMAGI(index) + 1)
Call BattleMsg(index, "You have gained more magic!", 15, 0)
Case 3
Call SetPlayerSPEED(index, GetPlayerSPEED(index) + 1)
            Call BattleMsg(index, "You have gained more speed!", 15, 0)

```

-now switch those around so it looks like this

```
Case 2
Call SetPlayerSPEED(index, GetPlayerSPEED(index) + 1)
            Call BattleMsg(index, "You have gained more speed!", 15, 0)
Case 3
Call SetPlayerMAGI(index, GetPlayerMAGI(index) + 1)
Call BattleMsg(index, "You have gained more magic!", 15, 0)

```
==CLIENT SIDE==

-open ModHandleData and find

```
Public Sub Packet_PlayerStatsPacket

```

-change this:

```
Public Sub Packet_PlayerStatsPacket(ByVal STR As Long, ByVal DEF As Long, ByVal Mag As Long, ByVal Spe As Long, ByVal MaxExp As Long, ByVal Exp As Long, ByVal lvl As Long)

```

-into this:

```
Public Sub Packet_PlayerStatsPacket(ByVal STR As Long, ByVal DEF As Long, ByVal Spe As Long, ByVal Mag As Long, ByVal MaxExp As Long, ByVal Exp As Long, ByVal lvl As Long)

```

When I get home today I'll try and look through the source some more to find all the issues.  For now only use the above code as a reference, don't make the changes until you've found all the problems.

• 2 weeks later...
So the problem still remains that the actual values list in the wrong positions on the client. I've tried everything both client and server side, but in the end I think this fix will require a hard source edit of the client.

If I could break down the code on the character stats page of the client it would show:

Magic:          (your speed)    +Magic
Speed:        (your magic)      +Speed

=(

@[SB:

> Damian666 link=topic=59064.msg639824#msg639824 date=1274440731]
> seeying  I dont have much time to investigate, fix it and post it.
>
> ill do a fast recompile for you guys then.
>
> Damian666

Mine is fixed as far as I can tell :)

@miroki123:

> Changing it in main does NOT fix the issue. As Grey's post shows, the packet swaps speed and magic. You might not notice it, but it's there.

Yes, changng the main does not fix the issue, it partway fixes it.

Before I changed the main, if I added a point to speed it added the point to magic, and the effect was that magic increased, and vice versa.

After I changed the main if I added a point to speed it put the point in magic, but the effect was that speed increased, and vice versa.

Changing the main does not fix the issue, but it is part of the fix.

@Gohan:

> @miroki123:
>
> > Changing it in main does NOT fix the issue. As Grey's post shows, the packet swaps speed and magic. You might not notice it, but it's there.
>
> Yes, changng the main does not fix the issue, it partway fixes it.
>
> Before I changed the main, if I added a point to speed it added the point to magic, and the effect was that magic increased, and vice versa.
>
> After I changed the main if I added a point to speed it put the point in magic, but the effect was that speed increased, and vice versa.
>
> Changing the main does not fix the issue, but it is part of the fix.

Changing the main pretty much does nothing, other than lie to you. I tested this out after starting my game, using an item that required 8 speed, I equipped it, when it said I had 0 speed and 8 magic. If you change what the message said, it'll then be lying to the player, resulting in confusion with stat requirements on armor and weapons.

The problem is the label, not anything else. Pretty much, you have to change what the labels say in VB6, or else you're prolly gonna end up screwing it up even more.

~Urame

@Urame:

> @Gohan:
>
> > @miroki123:
> >
> > > Changing it in main does NOT fix the issue. As Grey's post shows, the packet swaps speed and magic. You might not notice it, but it's there.
> >
> > Yes, changng the main does not fix the issue, it partway fixes it.
> >
> > Before I changed the main, if I added a point to speed it added the point to magic, and the effect was that magic increased, and vice versa.
> >
> > After I changed the main if I added a point to speed it put the point in magic, but the effect was that speed increased, and vice versa.
> >
> > Changing the main does not fix the issue, but it is part of the fix.
>
> Changing the main pretty much does nothing, other than lie to you. I tested this out after starting my game, using an item that required 8 speed, I equipped it, when it said I had 0 speed and 8 magic. If you change what the message said, it'll then be lying to the player, resulting in confusion with stat requirements on armor and weapons.
>
> The problem is the label, not anything else. Pretty much, you have to change what the labels say in VB6, or else you're prolly gonna end up screwing it up even more.
>
> ~Urame

…apparenlty I fell for it -_- my bad

Oh well, mine is fixed so I'm happy.