Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OldGen Vs. NewGen Gaming

ddunit

Well, me being only 14 years old, I don't know much about old games except the ones I played. And I played a few.

Anyway, these days, most of the available space is just stacked in graphics, which leaves close to nothing for the rest. (Slightly exaggerating). While back in the day, only part of the game was put into the graphics, since things were more axed into the gameplay and other things that make the usual experience good.

So, in your opinion, what's better, OldGen or NewGen?

Depends really… I don't mind CounterStrike.

If you want to go really far back oldgen, I've spent the past two days playing NetHack (it's INSANE how much you can actually do!!); that's like what, the 80s?  I'm currently trying to learn ncurses.h so I can attempt to write a basic ascii-based mmorpg engine similar to those old roguelike games.

If by OldGen you mean the SNES games, I like them as well.

Though it still comes down to personal preference I suppose..

Idk, what my opinion would be, im also 14 and i've played a suprising amount of Old Generation games, yet i've played more "Newer" Gen. games, and they were both good, so id be in the middle.

Favorite Old Gen. Game - All Mario's
Favorite Old Gen. Game ( for now ) - Xbox 360 - Modern Warfare 2

I've actually played more games of the old generation than there currently are games for the new generation. Examples of these include: Chaos Engine II; Gobliiins III; Settlers I, II; Monkey Island I, II, III; Zool I, II; Superfrog; Time Keeper; Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert; Quake; etc. Some other, but the more simplistic and arcade games include: Rush Hour, Breakout, Asteroids, Pacman (including several look-a-likes), Tetris (including several look-a-likes), etc.

I played several games of the new generation, but I don't like most. Usually the new generation games I like are part of a series originating from the old era (e.g. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2, Renegade, Red Alert 3, Tiberium Wars, Tiberium Twilight).

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Admiral:

> I'm currently trying to learn ncurses.h so I can attempt to write a basic ascii-based mmorpg engine similar to those old roguelike games.

Hi, All!

Yes. +1 cookies for you. I am going to play that all day.

Even though I probably don't know the meaning of 'OldGen' compared to you guys, I still gotta go with oldgen.

-JS1

Admiral Refuge and I are actually into playing Battle for Wesnoth. It's a hexagonal board game with 2D graphics, pretty epic sound and some nice multi-player capabilities. Basically, it's a turn-based game where each player can move units, recruit more units, attack other units, capture villages, etc. Usually the objective is to get the other leader killed as fast as possible. It's a pretty slick game, if you ask me. Might not be really be old generation, but it has the feeling of such games and is definitely worth trying because of that.

Regards,
  Godlord.