Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A notice for the eclipse community

deathtaker26

Alright, so I got some cash put away to rent a dedicated server to host some community game servers, I wouldn't mind running them but I don't wanna pack away 40 to 60 extra dollars each month for server stuff. I'm kinda unemployed, so if anyone wants to chip in and help out, send me a private message, I'm $20 USD short from renting the server right now.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> What kind of site is trying to rip you off with a 60 dollar server?

Dedicated server generally cost more than $60 dude…

I actually got a discount though because I know the guy so it's 40$ a month at a normal cost of 60$ it's got enough memory to host starbound, minecraft ,and teamspeak.

• 4 weeks later...
I think a lot of it boils down to the lack of competition in this area of game development. There used to be so many decent communities that existed simultaneously (Mirage, Eclipse, Elysium, Chaos [was decent if you were there], etc…) now it just doesn't seem like a hot topic with things like Unity. if the engine is going to attract people, either make it pro or super user friendly for kids.

i think what really kills communities is the lack of a complete product, how many engines have been released with simple plain

features which are typically the same over and over just re-released by different companies and developers.

it has to really stand out to keep people motivated and there attention at 100 percent.

i dont think this community is dying, in my opinion its the best it has been in a long time, everybody is friendly, moderators are great and the people

who caused the drama before are absent (won't name any names to avoid a war :P). (if you were around back in the day when there was multiple communities it was very different).

and i might add, its hard working with other coders just like being in a band, everybody must mesh together and understand limits and boundaries and

at the same respect each others prospective code. there is very few who i trust to code with or alter my code in between me working on it and that has been Devogen and MutantX. My advice to everyone, find who you are comfortable with if your wanting a coding partner, use drop box so everybody is updated in real time and realize just like band members come and go, eventually the right one will stay, its all got to click to be perfect.

Haven't been around in awhile but I'll leave my two cents anyway. In regards to having a new engine to spice things up: The problem is that now with EO4 and eventually EO5 being closed-source and paid for, anyone who creates an orpg engine using C#, Python, Java, C++ etc. will most likely not want to make it free and open source. Why would they when there's potential profit to be made, not to mention the ability to create their own games with a more superior engine if they so wish. It would be like having a store where you pay for a pen, but the whole package is free.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Eclipse is all about business prospects. I remember back in 2006 when EVERYONE was a hobbyist developer, and there was no interest in making money. But, we have to realize that since the Eclipse engine (the highlight of the forum) became a closed source engine you pay for, it was inevitable that many people on the forums would leave and take their fancy engines (or skills to create one) with them. Possibly to sell elsewhere (last I checked you couldn't sell your own engine on Eclipse), or to use them for their own productions.

In other words, anyone who makes an open source engine that is better than what currently exists is one charitable person. ;-)

It's just the way in which they are making money is bad. Making money is good, but the heart and soul of Mirage has been butchered. They should not call it Eclipse Origins, because it is just morally wrong. EO's name has been tarnished now.

There are many ways to make money. You can do it open-source with donations. You can make it open-source and sell plugins. Etc.

> It's just the way in which they are making money is bad. Making money is good, but the heart and soul of Mirage has been butchered. They should not call it Eclipse Origins, because it is just morally wrong. EO's name has been tarnished now.
>
>  
>
> There are many ways to make money. You can do it open-source with donations. You can make it open-source and sell plugins. Etc.

I totally agree with this. I think that Eclipse (as it stands now) would be better if it had a substantial base for free (everything needed to make a hobbyist game), with the option to pay for additional features (more advanced ones like guilds, pets and so on). Donations would work if the upcoming release turns out to be phenomenal in every way, and there's a guarantee of upgrades. People only donate, generally, when their money is being put to good use.

• 2 weeks later...
Its not a matter of something new being written; its a matter of how much you know that determines the scope of what you can employ in terms of frameworks (or engines, if you prefer).

If you know any language quite well then you automatically have access to tens if not hundreds of libraries dedicated solely to this purpose (game development).

> Its not a matter of something new being written; its a matter of how much you know that determines the scope of what you can employ in terms of frameworks (or engines, if you prefer).
>
> If you know any language quite well then you automatically have access to tens if not hundreds of libraries dedicated solely to this purpose (game development).

This guy is a genius.

Anyway, there isn't a lot of people trying new stuff. And before anyone bashes that statement let me break it down. They aren't trying new stuff in the sense that, most just pick up an EO copy, and just look to how they can just add tutorials or just change a few names here and start a project that will 9/10 times not even be half way complete. Everything is just… boring. And the few that dare to be different with other languages and engines usually don't get to finish them. Mostly everyone talks about how we should get in developing in different preferably "modern" languages but the thing is even if there was an "official" engine in another language, most wouldn't care and still stay with EO because that's what they are use to; 1\. download vb6\. 2 open the server and run. 3Easy to edit and change and heck there are tutorials for it everywhere.  We just can't get out from under that "Eclipse" shadow that we don't strive to venture out and do something "different" with it. And I see the other eclipse engines in other languages and don't get be wrong they are great and all but usually the only one who ventures out and digs into them "as in trying to do something with it" are the either experienced coders, developers and the one who created it in the first place, which doesn't help anything at all because that means the experienced will know and the un- won't. Then we are back where we started. Now getting the people to think past the standard and into new possibilities and the true task here, because if we are still thinking in the box of eclipse origins, there isn't much we are going to reap out of it beside the same eclipse origins. I am not saying vb6 is bad or anything because it isn't. Its not support and has a lot of limitations we didn't see as a problem but we live in this era and age and what we want is way above its abilities.

• 1 month later...
Sounds like a great idea Crest. I'm a returning Eclipse user, from ages ago lol. Eclipse was the inspiration that pushed me into the direction of computer science and game design. I missed the community and that's why I've come back, but it's like all of the people I knew have left.. So hopefully I can make new friends on here! My name is Justin btw. It's good to be back.