Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[WIP] Afterlife - World Map!

Sowtis

It is going to be a interactive map, somewhat. When you mouseover a certain area (lets say the desert to on the southwest corner) it will glow just a little bit and the name of the desert or area will appear above it.

![](http://i49.tinypic.com/z4aaw.png)

What you guys think so far?

@Hybrid.:

> I think you shouldn't use bevel and texture effects, try to do something that makes it look flat.
> The brown page looks awesome.

I disagree. The mountains actually look good for a quick effect. The forests could use work, but hey. I don't like how the water (I assume) is just blank map space. That makes it look awkward. The lack of texture on the grasslands next to the other textures also looks a bit off. Overall it's a nice idea, and a good start, graphically.

@Harris:

> Cool, but there is grassland that is norther than iceland.

Yeah, and? lol

@Ballie:

> @Hybrid.:
>
> > I think you shouldn't use bevel and texture effects, try to do something that makes it look flat.
> > The brown page looks awesome.
>
> I disagree. The mountains actually look good for a quick effect. The forests could use work, but hey. I don't like how the water (I assume) is just blank map space. That makes it look awkward. The lack of texture on the grasslands next to the other textures also looks a bit off. Overall it's a nice idea, and a good start, graphically.

Well if I make it blue, the paper will be blue. The map is just to show the land.

Also I will add more forestry and mountains etc. This is just the basic stuff and how it will look.

I'm sure it will look a lot better when done.

@Harris:

> Cool, but there is grassland that is norther than iceland.

Maybe his world does not function like planet earth does? Anyways, it looks nice.. Granted it could use some more detail and work on some parts(like zone borders perhaps, and some more detail in the huge ass grassland, lakes and such perhaps?)

@Anna:

> Horrible. What's the deal with people putting mountain ranges on far edges of everything? People don't understand basic geography and especially not topography.

Squaresoft could probably use that advice :P

The snow island is a little unrealistic, Hawaii isn't placed next to the South Pole.
That always bothered me in WoW, how can you have a land covered in snow, at the equator no less, and have an active volcano in the land next to it

@Anna:

> Horrible. What's the deal with people putting mountain ranges on far edges of everything? People don't understand basic geography and especially not topography.

I don't think basic geography or topography applies to fictional places, unless you want it to. Heck there could be one mountain range made of marshmallows in the center, who gives a crap?  :P

It should, because even fictional places have to seem believable (believable is not the same as realistic).

Look at Middle-Earth. Those maps make sense, mountains form obvious continental spines, rivers flow down in elevations, there are divides, passes, flats, and different types of topography with appropriate settlements. Or the Dungeons & Dragons maps. It's not that hard to do if you just bother to think about it. Just another thing people cut corners with for their games.

Well considering the landscape is the basic part of the map, you need a better base before you add more.

As far as your current effects and details, I do like how you've done mountains, with their little divides and slopes. That's what a mountain range is, in an very aesthetic but effiecient visualization.
:)

The mountains are placed horribly, though.

@Anna:

> It should, because even fictional places have to seem believable (believable is not the same as realistic).
>
> Look at Middle-Earth. Those maps make sense, mountains form obvious continental spines, rivers flow down in elevations, there are divides, passes, flats, and different types of topography with appropriate settlements. Or the Dungeons & Dragons maps. It's not that hard to do if you just bother to think about it. Just another thing people cut corners with for their games.

Ok show me the rule book on fantasy that says fictional places or things HAVE to be believable. A one-eyed, one-horned flyin purple people eater isnt very believable, but its fantasy/fiction.

@Anna:

> Well considering the landscape is the basic part of the map, you need a better base before you add more.
>
> As far as your current effects and details, I do like how you've done mountains, with their little divides and slopes. That's what a mountain range is, in an very aesthetic but effiecient visualization.
> :)
>
> The mountains are placed horribly, though.

Yeah the detail and looks is what I was checking in on.

I will add more mountains and fill in the green area, I just wanted to see how I was doing so far.

@Cheshire:

> Ok show me the rule book on fantasy that says fictional places or things HAVE to be believable. A one-eyed, one-horned flyin purple people eater isnt very believable, but its fantasy/fiction.

It just helps with immersion. But people don't care about immersion in MMOs anymore.
:icon_alabanza:

@Shackles:

> Yeah the detail and looks is what I was checking in on.
>
> I will add more mountains and fill in the green area, I just wanted to see how I was doing so far.

You should think about moving your mountains; mainly the ones up top; why are they there? Nothing would cause mountains to just be there. They should swing down in a large arc down the coastline or be a top spire to a mountain spine that traverses the continent… or something.