Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My first Pixel Art.

Zetasis

Okay, so I got curious to how Kreator is always making these amazing Sprites, Tiles, Etc.. So I went to the Graphics Tutorial thread and read Kreators awesome Pixel Art Tutorial and this is the Sword I made. It's not by any means good but I think it is a start in the right direction. I also attempted to make a Sprite but with out having read any tutorials on pixeling Sprites I'm getting no where haha. I just thought I would post it as well just to hopefully get some good suggestions/critisim.

Sword: Image increased by 200%
![](http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/Zetasis/PixelArt-Sword.png)

Sprite: 32x64
![](http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/Zetasis/PixelArt-Man.png)

Looks like your biggest issue here is bad line art. You've got some areas that appear overly thick. I did a quick edit:

![](http://beaubuckley.info/derrick/SwordEdit.png)

As you can see, I didn't change much. I just widened the thin parts of the blade, then made the hilt less huge. You've got to watch for things like that. Just compare how each looks and notice what I did differently. Also, you need more contrast. Your colors are mostly similar shades. This doesn't highlight anything about the weapon.

As for the sprite, it's actually not too bad. It looks a bit awkward that the only details on the body are nipples, but that can be rectified easily enough. The legs are also a bit unshaped. There should be some knees in there somewhere.

@Kreator:

> What saddens me, is you've done everything that my tutorial for swords tries to teach you **NOT** to do. Please try again, and read it a little better, take a little more effort, etc.

:lipsrsealed:

Well I'll try again when I have more sleep ;). I did in like 5-10 minutes or so. The main thing I was trying to work on was the shading aspect. I didn't really use a custom palette either which I will do next time. I just went with my basic RMXP Palette which obviously doesn't work for this style of pixel art. Anyways, thanks for the responses they have been helpful. Back to the ol' drawing board.

@Zetasis:

> Well I'll try again when I have more sleep ;). I did in like 5-10 minutes or so. The main thing I was trying to work on was the shading aspect. I didn't really use a custom palette either which I will do next time. I just went with my basic RMXP Palette which obviously doesn't work for this style of pixel art. Anyways, thanks for the responses they have been helpful. Back to the ol' drawing board.

I did mine in under 5 minutes. XD

And as for the palette, I'm sure the RMXP would be fine, you just apparently didn't select decent colors, or enough at that.

@Azkanan:

> Never outline in black.
>
> **EVER**.
>
> seriously.
>
> **EVER.**

I disagree. 98% of the case, however I completely agree. But in such cases such as certain comic styles, or to outline a non-animating icon on a background which doesn't change, it can be effective. Example, I made some old weapon and armor icons for a still background in a UI.