Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Lighting Methods

Jaz

I'm not interested in doing any development with ES or EO, it looks like it's being handled okay by the people doing it now.

Is there a technical write up somewhere on how the ES team has implemented their lighting feature?

ES team? Now you're just being silly.

The 'lighting system' is just cheap abuse of the BitBlt ROP API that was tutorialised at Mirage back in '03\. It's slow, useless and looks terrible. Ever wondered why ES runs at 12fps during the night? That's why. (As well as all the other slow systems.)

If you want a lighting system, your best bet is tile-based gamma correction or a D3D7/DD7 hybrid.

As for using an SVN for Origins archiving, lolno. It has no practical use for such a small project, especially as I'm the only developer.

That was a typo, I meant to use transparent blit.

Anyway, couldn't it just use the Windows GDI to remove the need for multiple locks? Like lock it once, get DC, unlock, release DC and do everything else in-between?

@Jaz:

> That was a typo, I meant to use transparent blit.
>
> Anyway, couldn't it just use the Windows GDI to remove the need for multiple locks? Like lock it once, get DC, unlock, release DC and do everything else in-between?

As I said, the original system was made in '03\. No one has touched it since then. It can be improved upon, but it'll still kill your FPS. The simple fact of the matter is that DD7 isn't suitable for those kinds of advanced effects. It's actually easier to simply port over to D3D8 than try and get alpha blending working in DD7 in a way which won't destroy your game.

@Robin:

> The simple fact of the matter is that DD7 isn't suitable for those kinds of advanced effects. It's actually easier to simply port over to D3D8 than try and get alpha blending working in DD7 in a way which won't destroy your game.

A D3D8 or OpenGL port of EO would be tits. I'm sure it's been discussed to death, though.

@Jaz:

> A D3D8 or OpenGL port of EO would be tits. I'm sure it's been discussed to death, though.

Already done one.

[http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,64854.0.html](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,64854.0.html)