Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to set up the auto-updater (With Pictures)

Drakiac

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Aáron:

> Make copys of your client and make copys of the autoupdater and put them in the same folder.

Makes no sense. I can put client and autoupdater together, but then theres no data files or src. If i combine the data files and src i have to delete frmmain and some modules and replace them. The only way to do it is to insert these codes into the game client on vb6, which does not work. I get an error

Edit: tried it with Yami's autoupdater, it seems to update fine but then when i launch the game i get RTE 53 file not found

what file is missing??

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
works great one thing i had to change is in  "modMain" 

This

For i = CurVersion To VersionCount

To

For i = VersionCount To VersionCount

I found it kept downloading the same files over and over to get to the new version this way it only downloaded the new update

@greendixy:

> -snip-

…The whole point of an updater is to progressively release the updates. If a version you haven't downloaded contains new graphics, music, or whatever, and you skip that - and judging by the fact that you've not understood the point, you probably don't use FileExist - they will not get the file, and will probably error out of the game.

By having CurVersion to VersionCount, it makes sure you download everything between it, and VersionCount itself.

i rather it not download everything in between just the current update when sending out a client everything in between should already be in place so when it comes time to download the update it wont try and update what is already there thus saving bandwith and extra downloads that is not needed

@greendixy:

> i rather it not download everything in between just the current update when sending out a client everything in between should already be in place so when it comes time to download the update it wont try and update what is already there thus saving bandwith and extra downloads that is not needed

Assume the following scenario (using + for addition and ~ for modified):
```
Version 1:
+ main.txt
+ hello.exe

Version 2:
~ hello.exe

Version 3:
~ main.txt

```
What an updater should do (assume version 1):
```
Download hello.exe
(Version 2 Update Complete)
Download main.txt
(Version 3 Update Complete)

```
What yours will do:
```
Download main.txt
(Version 3 Update Complete)

```
As you see, yours misses the hello.exe update, because it only updates the newest version. A logical one updates all the way to the newest version.

@greendixy:

> i rather it not download everything in between just the current update when sending out a client everything in between should already be in place so when it comes time to download the update it wont try and update what is already there thus saving bandwith and extra downloads that is not needed

You obviously don't know how the updater works, then. You don't re-package your entire client in those rars. You package up the resources which have changed.

Now what if someone with a version 2 client tries to update to version 5? They miss out any changes made in version 3 and 4.

If you don't want duplicate file downloads then do what I did. Switch over to an individual file system using an online client mirror and a crc32 PHP caching system which allows you to compare online and downloaded files to weed out the ones which have changed.

let me try and explain it a bit more simple 

say my client is ver 5 it has all the updates already i send it to a friend i put ver 6 on my web server so it should just download ver 6 but it still downloads 1 through 5 again both my wife and my self has tested it it keeps downloading files that are already installed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The inet control isn't included with the library files if I remember correctly.

Tell him to download [this.](http://www.ocxdump.com/download-ocx-files_new.php/ocxfiles/M/MSINET.OCX/6.01.9782/download.html) (Or send him it yourself)

Drop the file into C:\Windows\System32\

Then open a Command Prompt (as admin if 7/vista) and run "regsvr32 msinet.ocx".

alright, thanks alot. Will see if it works and get back to you (:

EDIT: he downloaded and put in system32, and he put that regsvr32 msinet.ocx and ran it in the command prompt it says:

the module msinet.ocx may not be compatible with the version of windows that you're running.

he said he has a 64 bit windows 7 premium. Whats wrong!?

• 1 month later...