Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[WIP] Spiral Mech

hisherwin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think you should just stick with SAO. Honestly permanent death is just a feature players would get tired of real quick and would want a non-permanent death mode. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's so important to have this feature. As long as everything is similar to the anime I think people would be happy.

The lack of game design skill here jeez. Permadeath goes against pretty much every design goal of MMOs. Is there anything actually unique about this apart from the fact that you're using some other franchise's ideas?

> The lack of game design skill here jeez. Permadeath goes against pretty much every design goal of MMOs. Is there anything actually unique about this apart from the fact that you're using some other franchise's ideas?

Permadeath is fine as long as there is a reward or an incentive to restart, such as when you die, you keep parts of your previous character - etc. It's doable, just game designers aren't really that willing to go that deep into uncharted territory. By charted I mean, World of Warcraft is charted territory, because it has proven to work. Permadeath has never been done right yet, it is something very difficult to do.

> The lack of game design skill here jeez. Permadeath goes against pretty much every design goal of MMOs. Is there anything actually unique about this apart from the fact that you're using some other franchise's ideas?

I know a lot of people like perma death, mostly for bragging rights, while it is true that from a game design perspective, it really does aim for a rather specific audience, and a lot of people do not like it because it is very unforgiving, and can be discouraging and bad for the community, it can be done in ways to make it less so, I believe PoE does it well, while it's not truly permanent death, since your character does not disappear, it does however move the character from the "Hardcore" server to the "normal" server, you can do it in many similar ways.

> I know a lot of people like perma death, mostly for bragging rights, while it is true that from a game design perspective, it really does aim for a rather specific audience, and a lot of people do not like it because it is very unforgiving, and can be discouraging and bad for the community, it can be done in ways to make it less so, I believe PoE does it well, while it's not truly permanent death, since your character does not disappear, it does however move the character from the "Hardcore" server to the "normal" server, you can do it in many similar ways.

Yes it is true, it is not for a general audience. It is why MMOs are making their games more casual, to make it more forgiving to those who are not very good or able to stick it out if something bad happens to them. It's basically babying your players, which I hate to be honest.

The permadeath moving from a hardcore to normal server is probably the best approach with the system to get as many people playing your game as possible even more so than if your game didn't offer permadeath, because that minority of player base will play your game that hadn't and the other group of players who hate it, have nothing to fuss about.

I also did not realize PoE did that, it was something I never thought of doing before.

Permadeath is cool because its like the anime. What Lex said is very true, if you kill someone, alot of people will be out to kill YOU, but I know theres alot of people that are also going to want to be a killer.

Perma death isn't bad and different mmo styles go with different people. Rotmg has successfully established this. SAO will need that feature but like some have said maybe different rewards will need it. In SAO you die ingame and you die in real life, this would be the same thing as perma death since you die ingame that character has died therefor perma death.

I haven't seen a MMO that have a Permadeath, also wouldn't that feature make people mad and quit the game O.o, like when they work so hard on their character then suddenly it lag and the player dies, that would make them angry and quit the game isn't it?

> I haven't seen a MMO that have a Permadeath, also wouldn't that feature make people mad and quit the game O.o, like when they work so hard on their character then suddenly it lag and the player dies, that would make them angry and quit the game isn't it?

I agree with you on that. In my case if I spent 6 or 7 hours building my account and died by accident I'd be very mad. I'd probably rage quit right away. If you do want to please everyone who wants "The full SAO experience" a hardcore mode and a normal mode would be the best option in my opinion.

So then you haven't played realm of the mad god (Rotmg) it's a successful mmorpg with perma death and makes a great bit of money. It's not a matter of if you've seen an mmorpg like that or not, the point is that's how the anime goes. If the game mechanics wont fit the anime there's no point of naming it SAO. If you're going by a specific section of SAO such as the second arc (since it doesn't involve perma death) then make that clear. But Gun gale and the first Arc both involve death that would have to be carried over to an mmorpg as perma death to work.

> So then you haven't played realm of the mad god (Rotmg) it's a successful mmorpg with perma death and makes a great bit of money. It's not a matter of if you've seen an mmorpg like that or not, the point is that's how the anime goes. If the game mechanics wont fit the anime there's no point of naming it SAO. If you're going by a specific section of SAO such as the second arc (since it doesn't involve perma death) then make that clear. But Gun gale and the first Arc both involve death that would have to be carried over to an mmorpg as perma death to work.

To be fair you can get max level in ROTMG in a few hours and its really a bullet hell with the skin of a rpg. its a shooting game. you arent banned when you die and you keep all items you had stored in your chests as well as prestige points acrewed from success in past lives. not really perma death or hardcore just a setback like losing exp for dying.

He's also decided to not go with the name SAO btw. you missed a post

Okay max level or not, when your character dies you lose everything worn and all level progress. Storing things in the vault doesn't change the fact that it's considered perma death. Also, I'm aware he changed the name…I'm the reason he said he was doing so. I'm saying, change the topic title.

> I love Cyberpunk and Mechas, hopefully you'll have both. :)

Well my idea on this game is, player will create their own weapon,items,pet and everything useful on battle like the whole idea is centered on Crafting.. the graphics will be mecha that's why it's Steampunk game.. 

You gather materials on the resource field like mines, forest, caves, enemies and craft them to make equipment and weapons to fight.. Also there will be a few dungeons that you can get rare materials that are being guarded by a boss, that boss is a monster that is hard to beat (This is where i took some idea on SAO that it's hard to beat a boss by yourself) and after you beat it the dungeon will be open for everyone for a few hrs and the boss will respawn again..

Well that's the whole idea i have for now..