Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse C graphics API?

Jeff

Hey, I'm wondering what API(s?) you plan on using for Eclipse in C.  I'm guessing it will be in SDL or allegro?  Or is stephan writing/using his own library?
Sorry if this has been asked or answered elsewhere.

Hi,

@asdfawef:

> Hey, I'm wondering what API(s?) you plan on using for Eclipse in C.  I'm guessing it will be in SDL or allegro?  Or is stephan writing/using his own library?
> Sorry if this has been asked or answered elsewhere.

I'm using libmad for the majority of my work. It supports graphics (OpenGL and Direct3D8+, next to some parts that allow software rendering as well), window management (through WinAPI on Microsoft Windows, and X11 on anything else), file I/O and run-time linking (through WinAPI on Microsoft Windows, system calls/POSIX on UNIX and standard libraries on everything else), audio (generally through OpenAL, DirectX does a horrible job at it), multi-threading (through WinAPI on Microsoft Windows and POSIX on anything else) and some other things (through WinAPI and DirectX on Microsoft Windows and through system calls, POSIX, X11 on anything else). Some parts are completely written in C and inline Assembly and do not make use of any APIs or libraries at all (e.g. UNICODE). Most of my work is therefore spent into the library, instead of the engine itself. This allows me to focus on projects better, whilst not having to deal with cross-platform-related issues, performance-related issues, etc.

Why didn't I just choose Allegro, SFML or SDL instead? They are horrible and mostly incomplete for most of my work. Most of my time has been spent on software design inside the library to ensure optimal performance when possible (e.g. there are certain policies when dealing with memory in all the programmes I write). Ergo, SDL, SFML and Allegro do have their uses, but generally lack functionality and good philosophies (SDL for instance has entire C library implemented, which is a stupid thing to do, since the C library is horribly designed).

Do not be afraid of libmad though, since I focused on getting myself focused on the programmes I write instead, it will certainly be made user-friendly and documented for usage. It just takes a bit to get used to it.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.