Find results in...

I bought the URL, whats next?

Grizzy

@RyokuHasu:

> @ S.J.R. van Schaik
>
> O.o… how is it the worst?
>
> you can get some pretey awsome things done in a WYSIWYG, then to add futher coding just flip the tab to the source and write. You can write the code and then instantly get a preveiw of it. whats sooo bad about that? It splits the work.
>
> and yes Tutorials are always good, hard coding is always a good thing to know.
>
> have you ever used the coding side of the WYSIWYG? they work better than a Notepad.

No, but neither do I use Notepad. I use tools like Gimp for scripting website front-ends (in HTML 5 and CSS 3) and programming website back-ends (in C), which obviously has features like code-highlighting, line display, etc. unlike Microsoft Notepad. The fact that you are trying to use Microsoft Notepad, Microsoft Frontpage, etc., clearly shows off you have no idea about website development at all.

@Grizzy:

> So I need to go watch youtube videos on how to make a website with HTML & CSS?

Go read tutorials, YouTube is made for watching music videos and old series you've seen as a child. The video tutorials on there are usually horrible as well.

@Kinjiru:

> I've use dreamweaver before, it's not bad, I'ts abot the same as Expression Web.
> And yeah knowing how to do things properly and not taking short cuts is always a better option, but it does take time so it's not a quick option.

Ironically, it's harder to use a WYSIWYG-editor and change the HTML and CSS to work properly, than to design a website properly from the start. The day WYSIWYG-editors will work, is the day every single browser is fully compatible with the standards set up by the brain-dead W3C, which is most-likely to be never.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Mr.:

> How the hell did I miss this topic. e.e
> I feel left out.

Don't fell left out. Okay someone tell me this what should I do next.

After buying the URL and webhost. What should be my next step in everything that I do?

Yeah open up photoshop and pretty much make what you want your site to look like, make sure all the different pieces are on separate layers. And for the coding I wouldn't use just straight notepad, I would use something like Notepad++, it's free.

@Kinjiru:

> And for the coding I wouldn't use just straight notepad, I would use something like Notepad++, it's free.

At least something with code-highlighting for HTML and CSS, line display, configurable tabs and a configurable vertical margin line. With GNU/Linux that would be something like Gedit, and with Microsoft Windows Notepad++ would be a somewhat good solution.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> At least something with code-highlighting for HTML and CSS, line display, configurable tabs and a configurable vertical margin line. With GNU/Linux that would be something like Gedit, and with Microsoft Windows Notepad++ would be a somewhat good solution.
>
> Yours faithfully
>   Stephan.

All that aside, I know this is nothing but I figured out how to connect my FTP client to my site, I have connected the URL to the webhost and i've learned a lot of FTP and html website development from some tuts I have read. Also a very quick question. Can I possibly finagle a way to host my game sever from my website/webhost since I have the best package and have pretty much unlimited everything. I just want to host it there while testing and such.

@Grizzy:

> All that aside, I know this is nothing but I figured out how to connect my FTP client to my site, I have connected the URL to the webhost and i've learned a lot of FTP and html website development from some tuts I have read. Also a very quick question. Can I possibly finagle a way to host my game sever from my website/webhost since I have the best package and have pretty much unlimited everything. I just want to host it there while testing and such.

If everyone could host from there webhost, there would be millions of 24/7 servers for all types of different games.
You'll need to purchase a server to run it off if you're unable to run it from your computer, I'm afraid.

You also said 'i've learned a lot of ftp', FTP isn't a coding language.
It's a special setup most hosts allow you to use, it actually means 'File Transfer Protocol'.
It isn't hard to learn how to use, a lot of FTP clients are so straight forward a young child could use them.

Good to see you're learning, and hopefully one day we will see the finished result of all your hard work!

Edit: Oh, and above our posts they are saying to use Notepad++, it's a great program.
Really easy to keep you coding clean, good for learning in.

Theoretically it is possible to run a game server programme on a web server. The problem however is that GNU/Linux is the most popular choice for web servers, and servers in general, which makes it hard to run any Eclipse server, as they are all written for Microsoft Windows. On top of that, most web hosts don't allow you to execute programmes. CGI, for instance, allows you to programme server pages in C/C++, but isn't widely supported by the majority of hosts, because it is considered potentially dangerous (which is quite ironic, as PHP causes more leaks).

If anything, it would always be a possibility to write a bootstrap programme in CGI/C or CGI/C++, if the web server is running Microsoft Windows. But it might be quite a challenge to get that working.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

Grizzy, if you don't have the time to learn CSS or HTML, i just recommend using one of those WYSIWYG thingies. There's honestly no reason to learn so much for a small time game, unless you plan on doing something in the future that has to do with webdesign. But seeing as Stephan plans on changing the whole ducking protocol for the internets, it would still be useless :3

What i'm saying is, you don't really need to put so much effort into this, imo. If your game is really successful, then you might get like 10 people on at a time? But building a nice website isn't making your game any better, it's just sucking your time. I'd recommend you go work your ass off on the game, and then just prop of a nice Pre-Made thingy for now. If the time comes that your getting close to an awesome release, with a lot of fans, then i'd go professional.

Just what i think~

@SeeingBlue:

> Wow, a lot of patience in this thread. bravo

I would believe its because of the following reasons. One I actually want and am teaching myself more and want to actually learn and not have someone do it for me. Gran it, I might not ask the best questions its about me asking things that are in my learning process. I like to believe most people around here know that I want to learn despite my lack of knowledge, about most general things. Anyways….

@ SJR. I agree 100%. This is going to be prob a long work in process being my first time, but I think when it is all said in done it will be worth the time taking. And Like I said before thank all of you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Almost every person that is going to play your game would be from the Eclipse community. They're going to get there first impressions from the screen-shots and the download link. Like i said, you're going to want to change the website into something professional later, but only once you've made your game professional first. Nobody is playing your website, it's the game that they want to experience.

Though, Stephan's advice applies to almost everywhere else, i don't personally think that it's right in this situation.~

Easier than setting up a webpage from scratch is to go into the control panel of your webhosting & sometimes they will have premade content managing software like fantastico or Simple Scripts that you can have them install for you. Then all you have to do is populate it with content.

@Zonova:

> Almost every person that is going to play your game would be from the Eclipse community. They're going to get there first impressions from the screen-shots and the download link. Like i said, you're going to want to change the website into something professional later, but only once you've made your game professional first. Nobody is playing your website, it's the game that they want to experience.
>
> Though, Stephan's advice applies to almost everywhere else, i don't personally think that it's right in this situation.~

With a mindset like that your game will never get off the ground.
And learning at least basic website design is always worth it. Almost every business today has some sort of website, it may save or make you some money in the future. Any skill that you can learn, that the majority of the public does not know has great penitential for making you money.

@SeeingBlue:

> Easier than setting up a webpage from scratch is to go into the control panel of your webhosting & sometimes they will have premade content managing software like fantastico or Simple Scripts that you can have them install for you. Then all you have to do is populate it with content.

No.

@SeeingBlue:

> Easier than setting up a webpage from scratch is to go into the control panel of your webhosting & sometimes they will have premade content managing software like fantastico or Simple Scripts that you can have them install for you. Then all you have to do is populate it with content.

This is just wrong.

@Kinjiru:

> With a mindset like that your game will never get off the ground.
> And learning at least basic website design is always worth it. Almost every business today has some sort of website, it may save or make you some money in the future. Any skill that you can learn, that the majority of the public does not know has great penitential for making you money.

I see, so focusing on a pretty website instead of your actual game is going to get it off the ground? Like i've said almost 3 times now, Yes, it's a good idea to learn the website design and make it look professional, But Not until you start making a well polished game.

Oh, this is how I first started with HTML.
This was about 3 years ago now, and I'm pretty good with HTML/CSS.

So, yeah watch this video and it'll teach you the basic tags and what they are used for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwQMnpUsj8I

@SeeingBlue:

This is as horrible as websites made in WYSIWYG-editors.

@Zonova:

> I see, so focusing on a pretty website instead of your actual game is going to get it off the ground? Like i've said almost 3 times now, Yes, it's a good idea to learn the website design and make it look professional, But Not until you start making a well polished game.

You can share news on your website. A finished product isn't required, actually. A website however is, even if your product is far from finished, as it will fetch you public, which is the most important part of marketing.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

basiclly u would no need tat high of disk space for EO client, if u want an server with 10GB HDD, 512MB RAM(Burst), 500GB BW, it is just $36 per year!, or you prefer bigger space: 20GB HDD, 1GB RAM(Burst), 1TB BW and it is $72 per year… just buy it from http://123systems.net it is cheap... u can check out my tutorial for setting it for working with EO server: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,73451.msg787733.html#msg787733