Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My First GUI, needing some comments to improve it.

juvanio

It looks nice. The blue theme makes it look nice, it's better than anything graphical-related I could do at this point.

Also, you haven't used the IMG tags correctly.
This is the way to use them:
```
[img]http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7277/guie.jpg[/img]
```

it's not too bad, but I might suggest a lay out revision.  It looks a lot like generic EO.  The bars are ugly, you can't just do a bilinear gradient and call it a health bar.  Look at how Other games do health bars, and try to copy off them a bit.  Then change your pallette up a bit, it's so bland right now.  Monochrome works, but isn't the best.

@Skull:

> it's not too bad, but I might suggest a lay out revision.  It looks a lot like generic EO.  The bars are ugly, you can't just do a bilinear gradient and call it a health bar.  Look at how Other games do health bars, and try to copy off them a bit.  Then change your pallette up a bit, it's so bland right now.  Monochrome works, but isn't the best.

The word Generic is way overused. It's nothing like a generic EO layout. The whole GUI is completely different then any other I have seen with EO.

I like it so far.

@Beast:

> The word Generic is way overused. It's nothing like a generic EO layout. The whole GUI is completely different then any other I have seen with EO.
>
> I like it so far.

The GUI is fairly unqiue for an EO layout.  That doesn't change the fact that it looks mostly like the EO GUI.  I honestly find that Crystalshire is the only game made with EO that doesn't use a generic layout.

Now, his layout is Generic because it works well.  Lots of people like doing something like that because it's good.  However, you can get a lot more creative.  Let's go on a trip, shall we?

>! ![](http://www.gamezone.com/images/gamezone/35/8/67/s35867_pc_12.jpg)
Ahh yes, Dragon Age Origins.  There's so much room! It's quite a nice layout.  Nothing special, just a large screen with a focus on playing the actual game, not navigating the GUI.  Now, what makes this unique?  well, nothing.  It's pretty ordinary tbh, but it's a good GUI and changes stuff up a little bit.  Look at the round character HUD, it minimizes space by taking away the health bar and just making a rim to the circle.  The nice Icons at the top allow you to quickly see what menu you're opening and then open it without much reading.  A nice little Hotbar hidden away at the bottom is necessary, but since it's at the bottom it's fairly out of the way.

>! ![](http://www.markeedragon.com/screenshots/data/3062/medium/3994Guild-Wars-screenshot-Kragg-111541663053.jpg)
Guild wars.  A simple central HUD at the bottom middle, which won't interfere with larger(or smaller) window scaling.  It shows your health, mana, and your hotbar in that HUD which takes nearly no space.  There's a little Menu button in the bottom left can open a menu, which is a great deal for space saving, but sometimes you need to be a little bit quicker in the heat of battle, making the closable menu perhaps not the best idea.

>! ![](http://www.firingsquad.com/games/diablo2screens/images/3.jpg)
The GUI in Diablo 2 is simple.  There's a Hud on the bottom, A health or Mana indicator on either side, a hotbar, a stamina bar, and a small button menu.  Fairly small and non invasive.
And that concludes it!  hopefully you'll be inspired by these good UIs.

In my opinion I wouldn't to be able to play a game with that color GUI. The gradients on the HP/Mp/SP bars are kind of bad. The icons look bad and pasted on. About the layout, there so much space taken unnecessarily making the game screen small.