Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dynamic Lighting?

tjstock

I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how I would even start to add this to EO. Would it require a full overhaul of the graphic rendering system? Also would implementing a particle system be as or more difficult? Or do they go both hand in hand?

And if you don't know what I mean by dynamic lighting, im talking about a radius lighting effect that is manipulated by the environment. Or it can be as simple as radial lighting illuminating around a moving object aka: players, spells, etc.

I could be wasting everyone's time if this is already possible with the engine, I am new. So forgive me if this is the case, but I could not find any trace of this on the board or in the source.

Thank you for your time.

You could add a see-through dark layer with a graduated fading light that will follow the player on a new layer, but this would need alpha-blending, I think. And according to most people it's damn difficult (but not impossible) to do. They managed to do something similar in EE/ES with a day and night cycle. You could have a look at how they do it. I wouldn't advise it, though. It will have been left out of EO for a reason.

Is that due to the high impact on fps? Would upgrading to a higher version of direct x or open gl libraries allow alpha blending and ambient / dynamic lighting to function without as much stress? Or is this just because visual basic 6 is to dated to handle effects on this scale? Sorry Im just full of questions lately.

@tjstock:

> I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how I would even start to add this to EO. Would it require a full overhaul of the graphic rendering system?

Yes.  If you're somewhat savvy with VB6, then you can look into converting from DX7 to DX8.  Best of luck if you do.

Alternatively, you could by Crystal Shire Developers Edition, an engine made by Robin based off of EO.  It has DX8 already into it, and it would probably be a lot easier to use as a base for a Dynamic lighting system.

@Skull:

> Yes.  If you're somewhat savvy with VB6, then you can look into converting from DX7 to DX8.  Best of luck if you do.
>
> Alternatively, you could by Crystal Shire Developers Edition, an engine made by Robin based off of EO.  It has DX8 already into it, and it would probably be a lot easier to use as a base for a Dynamic lighting system.

The fail part of this logic is that his developer's edition requires more knowledge of VB6 to even edit it. ;)

@RyokuHasu:

> Buying CrystalShire: Developer Edition would be the best option for you.

@Jimmy:

> buy Crystalshire, man.

Jesus christ, the man obviously is new to coding.
Why would we make him move to a /harder/ system? Saying 'buy crystalshire'' is really getting on my nerves.

ok this is my honest opinion any source of different lighting will make the fps go through the roof
so don't add night or day or any lightning around spells or players (it's not needed unless you put night and day in there and i would not recommend doing that.)so this is basically pointless topic (or atleast to me)

> And thanks for the info about the other client but money is always tight around here.

Which means I cannot afford to pay for a game engine, and no im not new to coding. This apparently is a dead / flawed engine if I have to pay for a better version, but what did I expect from a MMORPG engine coded in VB. MOD just please close this tread ill move on to a different engine or code my own.

@Axis:

> ok this is my honest opinion any source of different lighting will make the fps go through the roof
> so don't add night or day or any lightning around spells or players (it's not needed unless you put night and day in there and i would not recommend doing that.)so this is basically pointless topic (or atleast to me)

You have rather generalized opinions.

@tjstock:

> Which means I cannot afford to pay for a game engine, and no im not new to coding. This apparently is a dead / flawed engine if I have to pay for a better version, but what did I expect from a MMORPG engine coded in VB. MOD just please close this tread ill move on to a different engine or code my own.

*shrug* Robin's engine is completely unrelated to this except his is based off this engine. People just think his work (it is) top quality.

Anyway, you have three (well, 2) options:
1\. Convert the engine to DirectX 8, which may not be an easy process for many, but will be considerably faster than anything else.
2\. Use fake lightning which will slow down your game, a lot.
3\. Get a programmer to code it for you.

Number 1 is the best, followed by Number 3\. I highly dislike Number 2.

>If I have to pay for a better engine

Welcome to almost every engine. Again, Robin can sell stuff based off Origins if he wants, but it's not Eclipse Origins.