Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seting up local connection for two laptops.

lel

Me and my lady have a laptop each.
I don't want to have to rely on an internet connection for us to play together.
This way weather it be the power went out in our apartment, or we're in an air plane, or whatever. we can connect and play.

We both have Toshiba's and we both have windows 7.

I don't know if you can connect through bluetooth and build a VPN or something but if you're both on the same network, it's quite simple.

Run the server on one of the computer and find out what is that computer LAN IP. It's something like 192.168.2.1
And you can both connect to that server using that LAN IP.

Sincerely,
Rithy

You need just the wireless router, doesn't need to be connected to the net, but you still need the router.

Ok, the IP displayed on the server once it's loaded is your Local IP however if it is "127.0.0.1" you ARE NOT connected to your router.

The clients should connect to the IP displayed  should be either 192.168.2.X or 192.168.1.X

*X being any number in you LAN IP pool, its given at random.

Ok, do I still need to do "port fowarding" to get it working? I'm not about to ask you guys to tell me how to port forward, I've done the whole thing manually before. I'm just asking if I have to do it again for this. and which ports do I have to use? Or is it based on my computer?

Well I have to say I'm really confused then.
I've messed with this IP number so many times have have it memorized lol

1.Both laptops have connection to the internet on the same router.
2.I start up the server and see the IP on the top bar its 192.168.0.x
3\. I put that in client->data files->config. Next to IP=
4.I copy Eclipse Origins and data files from the client folder and past them to the other laptop.
5\. On the other laptop I log in to the game and it says "Sorry, the server seems to be down, please try to reconnect in a few minutes or to come (HERE lol)"
6\. What am I doing wrong? =(

BTW thank you to everyone here that even took the time to look at my topic and not say something rude.

Ok! wow…..... I guess I need to set up port forwarding, because I used Hamachi and it worked.
I even unplugged my internet cord out of my router to test that and it worked perfectly.

But there is one down side........ I have to have my router on to do this...... Which makes it a little bit of a pain if power goes out in my apartment.

Is there anyway to set this up without the need of my router?

BTW thanks for all your help everyone.

Port forwarding isn't used for LAN, only for WAN.

If you want a client to connect to a server in a LAN-network, then you have to get the local IP of the computer hosting the server (cmd > ipconfig), and use that address when connecting with the client.

The public IP, as well as port forwarding are only to be used when you are trying to connect from a computer outside your server's network.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.