Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[TNB] Little doodle

Strafe

Just a little doodle. Started using my old style sprites to create a mockup for a project I might be doing. It's a side-scrolling zombie shooter as you can see, in a very simple style. Please note I'm not the best pixel artist and I've come to this forum to learn, eventually the room will be a loo upstairs and into the sewers below.
It's based at a school you play as one of four characters who try to find why when students/teachers keep turning into zombies.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/a3b9bb63b2ba9b9ef8eba496f36f9eb3.png)

As much as it is only a little doodly thing. It appears that your skill with retro graphics are actually very good. As much as I know the times have graphically moved on, there are always people that enjoy a journey into the world of Nostalgia.

Fact is, if you are able to incorporate nostalgic graphics such as this into a plot/idea of which are both a collision of Past and Modern genre basis, then you could have a winning formula on your hands. I'm sure if Highschool of the Dead can do it, so can you :)

@Byson:

> As much as it is only a little doodly thing. It appears that your skill with retro graphics are actually very good. As much as I know the times have graphically moved on, there are always people that enjoy a journey into the world of Nostalgia.
>
> Fact is, if you are able to incorporate nostalgic graphics such as this into a plot/idea of which are both a collision of Past and Modern genre basis, then you could have a winning formula on your hands. I'm sure if Highschool of the Dead can do it, so can you :)

Praise the lord a real comment! Thanks mate, I now have a question, look at the other thread's graphics (link is my my sig) would you ever be interested in buying this kind of style graphics which gives you rights to change them and includes templates to create more of the same style? For a small price

My comments are never good.

This doesn't look too good at all, the screen is literally cluttered, I can't even read what the first of two blue signs is saying, there are too many gray and blue colors on the above ground level, while everything is clear and fine underground - the above blends into one pulp.

This was written before you made those signs red… now the background blends into one pulp while the signs hurt my eyes badly. You should try to make different parts of that well... more different in tone and color.

Okay, for the writing, except for the score and the hp bars it all pops up quickly and goes i.e the mini scores or the headshots. I agree that the top is still too mushy blended grey but tbh that is what my school bathrooms are like, they are cheap and shit and grey and blue not fit for a king which is why I like to give the feel of even the ground being cleaner and looking better than them, the red I will dumb down but without sounding as if I didn't listen to your crit as it's obvious by this post it is, I will go away and tomorrow will repost a revised version where the red is more pastel like my other palettes and I will slightly contrast the greys but as I said I would like to keep the overall boringness of the room, plus when it's full of zombies and blood and scores will look better and more lively. Please note that this isn't a screen shot this is a visualisation diagram or mock up, it's too see what stuff would look like when it's all on the screen at the same time. Thanks for your comment mate

There's too much happening.  Simplify the graphics/mapping a bit.  Maybe when it's on a bigger screen it'll look better, but right now it's hard to get what's going on.  I'd also suggest outlining people somehow, right now they don't stand out much.  Maybe just use bright shirt colors or something, anything to make them stand out.

@Strafe:

> Praise the lord a real comment! Thanks mate, I now have a question, look at the other thread's graphics (link is my my sig) would you ever be interested in buying this kind of style graphics which gives you rights to change them and includes templates to create more of the same style? For a small price

I think interest in purchase would be down to the idividual. Nowadays, retro games, like the classic "Rampage" are actually free to play. I do not think people will pay a price for it. They will play a game for the sake of Nostalgia, and may purchase items of rarity if that option was given in regards to if it actually became a game, otherwise, nowaday, nostalgia is unfortunately free.

In regards to your new screenshot/Mock Up, I agree with the others. Although, not so much in the clutter, as the idea is made for multiplayer action, but more in regards to the colour. If you check the zombies on the "Top Floor", their heads are almost entirely invisible against the light background.

Finite Incatatum

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/454bcc5362cfb0547b7f3d02453dc1df.png)

Please note, I want the background to be mellow and blending aside from the fact its a shitty school toilet never seen a clean one side scrolling games I find are soo distracting when the background is more prominent than the front, if it was brighter more contrast etc you'd be playing and be like ooh like at that urinal - HOLY SHIT ZOMBIES EATING MY FACE

@Strafe:

> Finite Incatatum
>
> ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/454bcc5362cfb0547b7f3d02453dc1df.png)
>
> Please note, I want the background to be mellow and blending aside from the fact its a shitty school toilet never seen a clean one side scrolling games I find are soo distracting when the background is more prominent than the front, if it was brighter more contrast etc you'd be playing and be like ooh like at that urinal - HOLY SHIT ZOMBIES EATING MY FACE

I agree the background should be dull, but I'm not sure I like the white outlining.  It looks great on the dark colors, but he still nearly blends in with the urinals.

Not sure if you could do that, but how about making the outlines a zone specific thing? So when a player walks into a dark corridor the outline around his character is white, while walking into a well lit room would turn it let's say, intensive blue or something.