Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Playing around with a tileset

Murdoc

No, im not playing with myself.. Im playing around with a tileset I started last night. Also made a little sprite dude. A little c&c is welcome.. Anyway, heres what i got

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/bde6f9a2ab5e6d77a8800153b5273d9e.png)

Nice :)

I'd say the sand is a bit too gold and needs a tad less contrast, it usually tends to be paler. The water is a little simplistic and the trees and bushes blend in a little too much with the grass, but otherwise it's pretty cool.

You should also try and make the wooden house look more wooden, it's too smooth to really be wood.

The grass is nicely done, it manages too look short and like grass, which is always an issue :D
The trunks on the trees are very good, they're shaded properly and work well, colour-wise.

Overall, very good tiles.

@Bonk:

> Nice :)
>
> I'd say the sand is a bit too gold and needs a tad less contrast, it usually tends to be paler. The water is a little simplistic and the trees and bushes blend in a little too much with the grass, but otherwise it's pretty cool.
>
> You should also try and make the wooden house look more wooden, it's too smooth to really be wood.
>
> The grass is nicely done, it manages too look short and like grass, which is always an issue :D
> The trunks on the trees are very good, they're shaded properly and work well, colour-wise.
>
> Overall, very good tiles.

Thanks for the c&c, and compliments. I see what you mean about the dirt being too gold, and the wood not looking detailed enough. Im gonna make the boards of the wall wider so i can add more detail, and work on the door.

The grass is a little grainy..And the log cabin is awesome, all things considered I live in a log cabin. 0_o
You can't beat the real thing though. What the tileset really needs is shadows, that way the whole thing wouldn't look so flat.

• 2 weeks later...
@Kusy:

> Inb4 "it's supposed to be retro"

Who said I was going for retro? Shoo troll shoo.

Anywho, I went with the suggestion to resize. I may work on making the walls and door more detailed. Other than that im pretty happy with it.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/a9df4f00959aa333e976a6376a6e34cb.png)

And just for you Kusy lol

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/32ef4630c06aa1f2f65eba91ab5bf35d.png)

It might just be me, but the dirt tiles look like they've been paste on, like a carpet over the grass.

Probably either change the border/transition, or desaturate the path palette, or just lower the contrast (less contrast makes things seem farther away, same with saturation, more = foreground, hence atmospheric perspective)

@Düsk:

> It might just be me, but the dirt tiles look like they've been paste on, like a carpet over the grass.
>
> Probably either change the border/transition, or desaturate the path palette, or just lower the contrast (less contrast makes things seem farther away, same with saturation, more = foreground, hence atmospheric perspective)

Thanks for the advice, ill take it into consideration.

@Robin:

> Zooming in simply highlights the existing issues.
>
> Everything looks embossed. The textures are poor.
>
> This is how those style of graphics can look if done properly.
>
> ![](http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1375/screencurrent3.png)

Youre right. The textures are definately not the best they could be. Tilesets like the one youve shown have a lot more work put into them, and as a result look better. If i took my time on pieces I could put stuff out like that. I dont plan on using this one for anything, it was just done out of boredom one night and I wanted a little cc on it. Pretty much everything im hearing about it I already know. Having said that im going to lock the topic because this tileset didnt do justice from day one, and I have no problem admitting it.

Complain about a custom tileset, then post SQUARE graphic work (and ironically probably the ugliest converted Square graphic sets I've seen floating around the scene). :icon_nif:

This is why people never make their own tilesets.

Sure the OP tileset had some issues but it was perfectly acceptable for use in an alpha game or a proof-of-concept; certainly just as useful as the crutch of RPG Maker graphics and community graphic resources Eclipse has almost always leeched off of.

@Anna:

> Complain about a custom tileset, then post SQUARE graphic work (and ironically probably the ugliest converted Square graphic sets I've seen floating around the scene). :icon_nif:
>
> This is why people never make their own tilesets.
>
> Sure the OP tileset had some issues but it was perfectly acceptable for use in an alpha game or a proof-of-concept; certainly just as useful as the crutch of RPG Maker graphics and community graphic resources Eclipse has almost always leeched off of.

I wholeheartedly concur. As far as a learning experience or proof of concept graphics set went, this is quite fine.

At least it was not just ninja'd graphics from somewhere.