Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cheat & Hacking

PVJsquad

If Robin says there is no hacks then there is no hacks. He did create it after all. Though I did wonder myself if someone could indeed hack your game, if they had Origins and VB6 as well? And download your game and be able to get everything you got and say what you created was theirs?

@Annahstas:

> If Robin says there is no hacks then there is no hacks. He did create it after all. Though I did wonder myself if someone could indeed hack your game, if they had Origins and VB6 as well? And download your game and be able to get everything you got and say what you created was theirs?

Who gives away their source when they release the game?

@Annahstas:

> If Robin says there is no hacks then there is no hacks. He did create it after all. Though I did wonder myself if someone could indeed hack your game, if they had Origins and VB6 as well? And download your game and be able to get everything you got and say what you created was theirs?

Origins was developed to use a dumb terminal as the client. As far as I know there is no way to cheat on the game, even with a modified client.

Botting is another story entirely.

@SeeingBlue:

> That's assuming your server code is solid. My point was more about detecting cheats I guess.

The server was built knowing full well what Konfuze/Elysium was like. There may very well be some way to cheat the system, but if there is no one has found it yet even though the games get attacked by cheaters all the time.

People spent the first few weeks of Crystalshire's release just trying to break everything.

When something is released it can be easily fixed. In the mean time there are no known cheats or hacks which means the dumb terminal model is working pretty damn well so far.

The only idea that comes to mind is the possibility of duping on map change or exploiting player saves. Don't know if it's possible, but with a dummy terminal, that's what you are reduced to. Plus bots, but I for one, am really interested in building GM features to help catch them.

Why would changing maps open up any possibilities for duping anything? Also, to exploit the save file system you need to actually exploit the data storage system. That's where the problem would be. And there isn't one.

As for spotting bots, there is absolutely no need to develop GM features to catch a botter when your average community has 100 or so active players.

I don't know. It's been a problem in the past with other games. Exploiting latency in the server while changing maps. Something like do a trade & change maps at the perfect time when the server gives you the item & hasn't taken it away from the original player yet. People used to disconnect their internet to try & exploit this also.

My community doesn't even have that much but that doesn't mean I'm less interested in the possibilities.  I've always been very interested in the GM tools. It's all a learning experience either way.

@SeeingBlue:

> I don't know. It's been a problem in the past with other games. Exploiting latency in the server while changing maps. Something like do a trade & change maps at the perfect time when the server gives you the item & hasn't taken it away from the original player yet. People used to disconnect their internet to try & exploit this also.

Origins isn't "other games". Exploiting systems depends entirely on the system. Origins systems are completely different than any other game. If there is an exploit then it's something unique to the engine.

Pointing out problems in completely unrelated projects doesn't do anything to enhance the security of this engine.

If you are lagging and still see an item on the ground that has been picked up or otherwise removed, when you go to pick it up, the command is sent to the server who knows if it is actually there or not.
So no, you can't just grab false items and dupe them.

Commands are executed on the server side to prevent all these horrible issues in older engines.
The only calculations done in the client are for how to display the data given to you.
While you can make your client show you have 999999HP, you still would have the amount the server calculated for you.

You can learn everything from other people's mistakes. Luckily I got there first. I've seen every hack and cheat that's ever popped up in any Mirage spin off ever. All known issues were patched.

If you want an issue fixed then you need to actually find the issue first.

You seem to be confusing closed-source games and open-source engines here.

I don't need to poke at my own game to find a security hole. I just need to read the code. Just because you've never actively looked for security holes doesn't mean I haven't.

@Robin:

> You seem to be confusing closed-source games and open-source engines here.
>
> I don't need to poke at my own game to find a security hole. I just need to read the code. Just because you've never actively looked for security holes doesn't mean I haven't.

I'd follow up with doesn't mean his players haven't either.