Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Custom Character Base

Irhymer

Constructive Criticism Appreciated!
![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/c872a8c143b374aa1916cae180f28d59.png)

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/295e00db7ae421f52c453a44a9fd2d33.png)![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/af82ac8c90e7be2ec21e90846e153394.png)

Thanks,
-Jake

1\. The shading does not fit retro-styled graphics.
Try going through some spriting/pixel art tutorials to learn how to make shading correctly.
2\. The outline looks the same as Kreator's old Elandor Chronicles character sprites.
Be original.
3\. The shading of the hair is awful as well.
Same as #1, look for some spriting/pixel art tutorials.

Other than that, I'd like to mention that the skin palette is great for my taste. You're improving Jake, nice to see you working hard.

@Mr.LLoyd:

> Yes this looks better except that you can add 1 pixel to make the legs title longer.

Thanks, I tried that after you mentioned it, but it didn't look right.

@Kusy:

> Tis looks good.
> It only proves that the first one simply looked like ballsacks - I only had to say it, and without any further explanation you knew what needs to change.

LOL, thanks man.

@nameless_soul:

> 1\. The shading does not fit retro-styled graphics.
> Try going through some spriting/pixel art tutorials to learn how to make shading correctly.
> 2\. The outline looks the same as Kreator's old Elandor Chronicles character sprites.
> Be original.
> 3\. The shading of the hair is awful as well.
> Same as #1, look for some spriting/pixel art tutorials.
>
> Other than that, I'd like to mention that the skin palette is great for my taste. You're improving Jake, nice to see you working hard.

1&3\. True, I'll work on that
2\. Now that you mention it, it does look the same after that arm position change… So should I just not work on it anymore? Especially if I had a game concept in mind with it.

But thanks, good to know I'm improving  ;)

-Jake

@-Jake-:

> 2\. Now that you mention it, it does look the same after that arm position change… So should I just not work on it anymore? Especially if I had a game concept in mind with it.

No, just go for a different style, a different outline. No need to mess up all of your work and ideas 'cause of that. Just try to be original with everything that you do.

Screw the outline. Given the size of it - there's only that much you can do with pixels. It doesn't look close enough to be connected, and I looked at Elandor's graphics a lot… I still have the whole gfx folder for it somewhere on my PC.

@Kusy:

> Screw the outline. Given the size of it - there's only that much you can do with pixels. It doesn't look close enough to be connected, and I looked at Elandor's graphics a lot… I still have the whole gfx folder for it somewhere on my PC.

He's limited to nothing. He's looking for a retro style, he'll have it. The retro-ish effect isn't determined by the size of an sprite, for what I think. It's mostly determined by the way you make it(outline, shading, colors chosen, etc.).

@Kusy:

> **Screw the outline. Given the size of it - there's only that much you can do with pixels.** It doesn't look close enough to be connected, and I looked at Elandor's graphics a lot… I still have the whole gfx folder for it somewhere on my PC.

That's what I've been telling myself for the past hour trying to rearrange it. The only decent alteration I came up with was a taller version:
![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/bc138a3e50e180aa73b5e5fd25522829.png)

@-Jake-:

> That's what I've been telling myself for the past hour trying to rearrange it. The only decent alteration I came up with was a taller version:
> ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/bc138a3e50e180aa73b5e5fd25522829.png)

looks better than it did.. although id make the torso a bit shorter too…

@Taegan:

> Exactly! Much better, nice.

Thanks!  :cheesy:

@nameless_soul:

> I see no future in your sprite…. what, I can't make a joke once a day?
>
> Anyways, you ignored my advices (Shading, Outlines, Hair) therefore I hate you.

lol I didn't ignore your outline advice. I've always liked a chibi, stubby look on sprites and I don't see how I can keep that and change it completely, AND still keep the 2x2 pixel style. I'll be making more attempts at pixel art as I learn but this topic was about this specific sprite.

As for hair and shading, I'll get to that, but I'd like to finalize a base first. Btw I just noticed who you were, I need to talk to you (PM)

@nameless_soul:

> The retro-ish effect isn't determined by the size of an sprite, for what I think. It's mostly determined by the way you make it(outline, shading, colors chosen, etc.).

I do realize this, and by reading the Skyward Sword thread you could see how firmly I stand behind that point in general. What I'm saying is, they don't look similar to Elandor Chronicless at all, you would have to both, seen EC before (and not that many people did) and actually compare them for some reason.

He should go with the style he likes, if it ends up retro, it's his business. If it doesn't, all the better. It's you who limits him to do so by saying his graphics don't fit a certain style.

@Kusy:

> What I'm saying is, they don't look similar to Elandor Chronicless at all, you would have to both, seen EC before (and not that many people did) and actually compare them for some reason.

I understand your point. What I mean is that the outline is just exactly the same as EC, and yes, I've seen many show-offs from Kreator and what I'm trying to say to him is that the outline is just exactly the same as Kreator's EC character sprites. But, that's my opinion and yours is that it doesn't. I respect that.
@Kusy:

> He should go with the style he likes, if it ends up retro, it's his business. If it doesn't, all the better. It's you who limits him to do so by saying his graphics don't fit a certain style.

He said he was going for a retro style in this sprite. What did you expect me to say?