Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many players can EO handle?

kroko

well the tittle says it all. i want to know how many players eo can handle normally? guess you need some info about my server then :P my server have 24 gig ram, a quard core (4cores) processor and a 100/100 connection. so how many do you think it can run at same time? also if i change my connection to 1gb/1gb how many players do then think can be online at same time?

Please dont say "there is a search funtion, lean to use it!" i allready tried and cant seems to find anything.

Hope to hear from you :)
kroko

It depends on how good your computer is, how good your connection , and how many extra functions do you have in your game?

If your computer is really good and so is your connection you should have no problem at around 100, but with EO made games none of them get famous/popular enough to have more than  hand full of people playing t any given time.

@Ryoku:

> It depends on how good your computer is, how good your connection , and how many extra functions do you have in your game?
>
> If your computer is really good and so is your connection you should have no problem at around 100, but with EO made games none of them get famous/popular enough to have more than  hand full of people playing t any given time.

okay. well i know eo games never get popular but i think i have what it takes to get semi popular.. marketing is almost all! i have a few ideas that could make my game awesome. as of now my features have all been seen in other games so it wont be something special. but working in that part :P when my game is done it will come on alot og gamming medias like steam and forums and other stuff. i will also promote me alot on youtube! but thats was not the topic. dont want to bore you guys.

could anyone tell how many players my server can run at same time?

I just said it depends and varies, and gave you a legit answer! The fact is no one really knows! I don't think anyone has tested how many accounts they can log on from an external source.

Log on 1 or 2 accounts then look at  how much your server cycles go down (on average), then estimate how many more people can log on with out any problems using that.

@kroko:

> okay. well i know eo games never get popular but i think i have what it takes to get semi popular.. marketing is almost all! i have a few ideas that could make my game awesome. as of now my features have all been seen in other games so it wont be something special. but working in that part :P when my game is done it will come on alot og gamming medias like steam and forums and other stuff. i will also promote me alot on youtube! but thats was not the topic. dont want to bore you guys.

Dude, wrong attitude. Take a step back and don't look at Eclipse games as a money-making venture, because they're not. They're something we do for fun. Even the most popular one, Crystalshire, doesn't make money (As far as I'm aware) aside from donations, which are very sporadic. Bear in mind that 90% of your audience is Eclipse, and they're not going to pay to play an Eclipse game. Just take it slowly and do this for fun, not money.

@Aeri:

> Dude, wrong attitude. Take a step back and don't look at Eclipse games as a money-making venture, because they're not. They're something we do for fun. Even the most popular one, Crystalshire, doesn't make money (As far as I'm aware) aside from donations, which are very sporadic. Bear in mind that 90% of your audience is Eclipse, and they're not going to pay to play an Eclipse game. Just take it slowly and do this for fun, not money.

oh sorry it wasent meat for me to have a bad attitude, sorry. I do not want to earn money on my game. i am doing it for fun. it will be 100% free.

If you really want to know how much you can handle, you should write a benchmark.
This is not a really big deal.. But you have to know how to programm.
But i'll tell you that you could easily host up to 500 players or more.. since eclipse doesn't use that much traffic except for the maps if they're big.
Currently i programm a traffic analyzer for my version so maybe i'll know some exact values in some days.

I'm not looking for exact numbers, how many people do you think I would be able to handle on my computer. I have 4GB ram, dual core AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.30GHz(all though demanding games like Skyrim, minimum spec 2GHZ runs suprisingly smooth even with graphics settings on near highest), consistent 10Mb/s internet connection, 64 bit windows 7 HP.SP1\. Its a Lenovo G575 if your want to delve into more stats. For example, am I looking at hosting 10/20 players or 150/200.

Also, this is my first post and I know the forum rules on here are pretty well upheld, so if i'm breaking any rules or close to breaking any please tell me :) many thanks! Bear

@b1gbear:

> I'm not looking for exact numbers, how many people do you think I would be able to handle on my computer.

Last I checked it was somewhere less than a billion but more than zero.

Anyway, truth is that nobody has ever tested how much Eclipse can really handle. Eclipse doesn't use much memory, but the main limitation is bandwidth/internet speeds (as more players get on your server needs to send more data).

Surely somebody must be able to give a rough estimate of how much data is sent/received per say 10 players at peek usage, if not ill dive in and do some testing myself.
Oh, and not to be offensive but i would appreciate it if you were less sarcastic. I would expect it if the question was pathetic but i thought it was relevant and there are probably many other people looking for the same information, but nevertheless many thanks for your help! :)

@b1gbear:

> Oh, and not to be offensive but i would appreciate it if you were less sarcastic. I would expect it if the question was pathetic but i thought it was relevant and there are probably many other people looking for the same information, but nevertheless many thanks for your help! :)

Your question is pathetic I doubt u have done anything at all working on a game yet ur so worried about how many ppl it can handle… Everyone has given u good advice.. there is no answer everyone's project will be different... Why don't u test it yourself and stop wasting two days asking for an answer that isn't there

@b1gbear:

> Oh, and not to be offensive but i would appreciate it if you were less sarcastic.

Just having some fun. Not to mention this question has been asked multiple times before, whereas I'd much rather work with something new and exciting. Either way, I appreciate your bluntness.

After a certain point the RAM and such don't matter. Anything above 1GB should cover you well. The main limitation is bandwidth/internet speeds. The more the server has to send, the slower it will be for everyone.

If you do decide to do some strain testing, you have multiple problems. You have to have 10 computers around the world doing the tests. Simply opening up 10 clients and removing the check for multiple clients may retrieve similar results, but not equal. You also have no idea if the relationship is linear, exponential or quadratic (which are probably the most likely types you'll get). Now the problem is you can't always tell which one this is, especially with all the varying factors. For example, all player's would have to be active, and doing stuff a normal player would do, and being on the same map could increase the amount of server load. New systems being added could also increase the amount the server has to work. In the end, nothing could be decided conclusively.

I don't believe on complaining without offering a solution, however. You can use Resource Monitor (Windows + R > resmon.exe) to monitor network traffic for the server (server.exe). You can check the CPS of the server (**c**ycles **p**er **s**econds) which is shown on the opening server page to get an idea of how the server is doing. Then you can recruit some people to open up the client and play. Make sure you have actual content to stimulate an actual game. Perhaps have the server average the CPS for the amount of players logged in (like the server continues averaging the CPS, until a player logs in or out, at which point it logs it in a file). Then you could try to use that to project the rest of the data, but in theory you're really not supposed to do that at all (extrapolation). Also, we have not defined "success". Is success simply having 100 active TCP connections? Or is success having players being able to play? How do we measure their 'ability to play'? Do we have a questionnaire on whether or not they experienced lag, or log their ping and FPS (which the logging of could skew the actual results of the test down)?

So really, the only way to do stress testing for 100 players is to have near or at 100 players and have them happy with their game performance. Honestly this is quite an interesting topic if you take off the standard "I have this, this, this, and this and I expect a number on how many people I can hold." If the chance ever came to perform such an experiment, I would gladly participate in creating it.

**tl;dr:** want to find out how much Eclipse can hold? Get people to play your game.

/New replies:

@GeminiXcastorm:

> on the aria of popularity, i am going to school, and i already have 30 people or so planning to spread the word of my game on to more people making a spiderweb effect out to more and more people. if someone is going to max out there server, i plan to be that person :)

If you manage to get that going, see if any lag happens.

@Justn:

> Your question is pathetic I doubt u have done anything at all working on a game yet ur so worried about how many ppl it can handle… Everyone has given u good advice.. there is no answer everyone's project will be different... Why don't u test it yourself and stop wasting two days asking for an answer that isn't there

Keep a civil tongue. He simply doesn't appreciate my sarcasm, and so I won't use it when talking with him.

@Grim:

> +1 @Justn

+1 @worthless reply
;)

i will jump on that band wagon can only connect with 3-4 comps depending on time

im in the uk and prehaps if i dial up a vpn after loading first client i could load 2 per comp im sure this would work i will test and let you know

drop me a message on here

or on facebook only no accses to the actual e-mail addy
[email protected] (matthew howman)

True say Justn :D but its not that the answer isn't there, its that i'm asking the wrong questions, Soul has clearly explained the issues with what i asked and has given me the information i need in order to find out the answer.

Thank you very much again Soul! :)