Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Self Installer

Gahduvdeth

Self Installer!

Okay, okay. I personally didn't make the resource, nor have I had anything to do with it. I'm posting this here because I feel that it could be put to good use by a lot of people in the Eclipse community. I've noticed that a large majority of you STILL simply just zip up your game and send it on out.

Think about this: how many 'professional' (yeah, many of us are only here for fun. Bear with me) games force the user to extract everything themselves? ~~I have yet to find one.~~ Literally everything made with Eclipse or Unity. Anyway, the majority of 'official' downloadable games come in the form of a self-installing EXE program that does all of the extracting for you. Right? Right???

Today, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you something that will help to give your games an added 'professional' feel. You can customize just about everything for the installer, and even add your own EULA/ToS that the user has to agree to in order to install your game (I find this to be a GREAT feature, for legal protection purposes.) Of course, you can always opt out of adding an EULA/ToS.

It also comes with a nifty feature that creates an **UN-**installer. So if, for whatever reason, your players get bored of your game, they can simply uninstall it, just like any other program.

ALSO, you can choose to have your game (or whatever program you're making) installed somewhere in 'C:/ProgramFiles/YourCompany/YourGame' or whatever, and include a desktop shortcut to the client. You can also add a start menu folder. Basically, it's a self-installing package creator that will add a bit more 'professionalism' to your games.

Do you use Unity? Tired of the ugly Game_Data folder? No problem! Have everything installed to a directory of your choosing, and add a nifty little desktop shortcut to your game!

Oh, and did I mention that it's _**free**_?

Yeah, I probably should've mentioned that sooner.

Anyway, without further ado, I present to you….
[The Uber Super Duper Special Magical and Mystical Self-Installing Setup Program Thingamajig](http://www.jrsoftware.org/download.php/is.exe?site=1)

Please note that the above link is a direct download. If you want to check out the official site, then simply click [here.](http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php)

@'Sigridunset':

> There are tons of people on this site who are unnecessarily negative and everyone knows about them but they are too lazy to point them out so this post is totally useless.

You, my good sir, deserve a cookie.

@'YourBestNightmare':

> There are tons of these around and everyone knows about them but they are lazy to use them so this post is totally useless.

Too lazy to use a self-installer package, but not too lazy to make an MMO?

Because screw logic, that's why.

@'Gahduvdeth':

> @'Sigridunset':
>
> > There are tons of people on this site who are unnecessarily negative and everyone knows about them but they are too lazy to point them out so this post is totally useless.
>
> You, my good sir, deserve a cookie.
>
> * * *
>
> @'YourBestNightmare':
>
> > There are tons of these around and everyone knows about them but they are lazy to use them so this post is totally useless.
>
> Too lazy to use a self-installer package, but not too lazy to make an MMO?
>
> Because screw logic, that's why.

Sorry, I meant too unskilled to use basic things like that. And 99% of projects here die anyways and never gets finished because people are lazy and their are trying to make their first game MMO, which will never happen. So my point is valid.

@'YourBestNightmare':

> Sorry, I meant too unskilled to use basic things like that. And 99% of projects here die anyways and never gets finished because people are lazy and their are trying to make their first game MMO, which will never happen. So my point is valid.

When Eclipse advertises "ECLIPSE ENGINE - Make your ambitions possible" with little to no experience in game-making, do you really think they stop because they're lazy? I spent half a year on a solo project making a crappy game in an unmodified Eclipse Origins 2.0, and other people can do it too if they really focus their efforts. But that half a year was hell. You realize that even with a pre-built engine, producing a game is a lot of work. Lots of problems and issues that you never thought of are hiding under the surface of the prized idea of making an online RPG. People don't stop because they're lazy. People don't change projects rapidly because they're too lazy to continue their own project. People stop when they realize that even though might be their dream, it's too much effort to put in and as such, they think of ways to combat the issues of development to save time on their current project. They change projects because it's easier to theorize over game-development than actually developing games. And I'm no exception to that. People can get lazy on their projects, for sure, and producing a diamond with no effort is a nice idea. But people have more motivation than that.

Gahduv found a resource, and posted it here for people to potentially use. Even if all the users don't use it, they still have knowledge of its existence, or it might even be something they haven't considered. Arguably, you could just google for the tool and find it. But the same goes for free to use graphics, and we still allow that without trashing the thread's existence. Should we go and bash your threads and promotion of non because 99% of people here will not stray away from the support VB6 engines here have? I don't think so.

In short, I do not think your first reply to this thread was appropriate. Have a good day.

@'YourBestNightmare':

> @'Gahduvdeth':
>
> > @'Sigridunset':
> >
> > > There are tons of people on this site who are unnecessarily negative and everyone knows about them but they are too lazy to point them out so this post is totally useless.
> >
> > You, my good sir, deserve a cookie.
> >
> > * * *
> >
> > @'YourBestNightmare':
> >
> > > There are tons of these around and everyone knows about them but they are lazy to use them so this post is totally useless.
> >
> > Too lazy to use a self-installer package, but not too lazy to make an MMO?
> >
> > Because screw logic, that's why.
>
> Sorry, I meant too unskilled to use basic things like that. And 99% of projects here die anyways and never gets finished because people are lazy and their are trying to make their first game MMO, which will never happen. So my point is valid.

The mmo I'm making is the first game I plan on publishing. No matter which type of game you make, online or not, there will be people out there that will say "you'll never make it, it's too big for you to handle, blah blah blah TROLOLOLOL."

I'm putting a lot of time into The Underground, and I'm dedicated on finishing. I've been with this community since the beginning (new accounts…lost access to the original). I've seen projects live and die.

I want to contribute to the community in any way I can. This post is just one way.

Best argument is result. If you will finish your game and it will be alive atleast for month, then you was right. Otherwise no. And as you said Matt, making MMORPG from EO is just a dream. I just want to be realistic and I am talking from my own experiences. I think this article explain it a bit better: http://sol.gfxile.net/mmorpg.html

@'GalacticGlum':

> First we should all stop calling them MMO's 10 people is not an MMO, it's an Online Multiplayer game! Or simply a Online Role Playing Game.

I use that term as a generic catch-all phrase. But you're right, ORPG would be a better-fitting term.

@'Gahduvdeth':

> @'GalacticGlum':
>
> > First we should all stop calling them MMO's 10 people is not an MMO, it's an Online Multiplayer game! Or simply a Online Role Playing Game.
>
> I use that term as a generic catch-all phrase. But you're right, ORPG would be a better-fitting term.

I see..

Well, technically, Something that's not massive to you, Would be HUGE for someone else. Example:

To you a banana isn't very big in size. It looks like a banana whether it's a slightly larger or smaller banana its still "just" a banana.

Said banana is huge if you were an Ant.

That said a 5" schlong might not mean much to a woman with a hole the size of Alaska, But to a emotional wreck of a girl who's never done it before that 5" is massive!

Eclipse can hold more than 10 people, I haven't hit my limit with a year + old engine so Eclipse can hold more than 10 people at once because my old engine can handle 20-25 at the same time. Thus my player base was "massive" compared to 85% of the games released here.

@'TehDoug':

> Well, technically, Something that's not massive to you, Would be HUGE for someone else. Example:
>
> To you a banana isn't very big in size. It looks like a banana whether it's a slightly larger or smaller banana its still "just" a banana.
>
> Said banana is huge if you were an Ant.
>
> That said a 5" schlong might not mean much to a woman with a hole the size of Alaska, But to a emotional wreck of a girl who's never done it before that 5" is massive!
>
> Eclipse can hold more than 10 people, I haven't hit my limit with a year + old engine so Eclipse can hold more than 10 people at once because my old engine can handle 20-25 at the same time. Thus my player base was "massive" compared to 85% of the games released here.

That post made me laugh so hard.
You have a great point, I didn't say Eclipse can't handle more than 20 players it's just the average amount of players on good Eclipse games. That's all.

Well, I haven't had a forum account for a while but have been lurking on the forum in 2014 from time to time and I was actually trying a few games, although you are correct I will edit my previous post. I didn't always go as GalacticGlum, I used to go by random names I made up on the spot.

@'Gahduvdeth':

> @'GalacticGlum':
>
> > First we should all stop calling them MMO's 10 people is not an MMO, it's an Online Multiplayer game! Or simply a Online Role Playing Game.
>
> I use that term as a generic catch-all phrase. But you're right, ORPG would be a better-fitting term.

Term ORPG do not exists anywhere other than this forum. It should be then better called MORPG.

@'YourBestNightmare':

> @'Gahduvdeth':
>
> > @'GalacticGlum':
> >
> > > First we should all stop calling them MMO's 10 people is not an MMO, it's an Online Multiplayer game! Or simply a Online Role Playing Game.
> >
> > I use that term as a generic catch-all phrase. But you're right, ORPG would be a better-fitting term.
>
> Term ORPG do not exists anywhere other than this forum. It should be then better called MORPG.

I beg to differ, just do a quick google search of ORPG.

@'YourBestNightmare':

> @'Gahduvdeth':
>
> > @'GalacticGlum':
> >
> > > First we should all stop calling them MMO's 10 people is not an MMO, it's an Online Multiplayer game! Or simply a Online Role Playing Game.
> >
> > I use that term as a generic catch-all phrase. But you're right, ORPG would be a better-fitting term.
>
> Term ORPG do not exists anywhere other than this forum. It should be then better called MORPG.

[You should try clicking here!](https://www.google.com/search?q=ORPG&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

Honestly, dude. You're trying too hard.

Or maybe you're not trying hard enough.

@'Gahduvdeth':

> @'YourBestNightmare':
>
> > @'Gahduvdeth':
> >
> > > @'GalacticGlum':
> > >
> > > > First we should all stop calling them MMO's 10 people is not an MMO, it's an Online Multiplayer game! Or simply a Online Role Playing Game.
> > >
> > > I use that term as a generic catch-all phrase. But you're right, ORPG would be a better-fitting term.
> >
> > Term ORPG do not exists anywhere other than this forum. It should be then better called MORPG.
>
> [You should try clicking here!](https://www.google.com/search?q=ORPG&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)
>
> Honestly, dude. You're trying too hard.
>
> Or maybe you're not trying hard enough.

Yep! I also said that in my post, the term ORPG is very popular among indie devs and the like.

This whole topic is just the center of an individual making the conscious choice to be a miserable SOB and the rest of us arguing over an acronym. Call it whatever the hell you want and move on with your day. I'm going with TOOGWRG or otherwise and popularly known as "Totally Original Online Games With RMXP Graphics"

Yeah - an acronym within an acronym. Bitch about that now.

@'Gahduvdeth':

> @'YourBestNightmare':
>
> > @'Gahduvdeth':
> >
> > > @'GalacticGlum':
> > >
> > > > First we should all stop calling them MMO's 10 people is not an MMO, it's an Online Multiplayer game! Or simply a Online Role Playing Game.
> > >
> > > I use that term as a generic catch-all phrase. But you're right, ORPG would be a better-fitting term.
> >
> > Term ORPG do not exists anywhere other than this forum. It should be then better called MORPG.
>
> [You should try clicking here!](https://www.google.com/search?q=ORPG&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)
>
> Honestly, dude. You're trying too hard.
>
> Or maybe you're not trying hard enough.

Said guy who is using VB6\. Error 404\. Value not found.

@'YourBestNightmare':

> @'Gahduvdeth':
>
> > @'YourBestNightmare':
> >
> > > @'Gahduvdeth':
> > >
> > > > @'GalacticGlum':
> > > >
> > > > > First we should all stop calling them MMO's 10 people is not an MMO, it's an Online Multiplayer game! Or simply a Online Role Playing Game.
> > > >
> > > > I use that term as a generic catch-all phrase. But you're right, ORPG would be a better-fitting term.
> > >
> > > Term ORPG do not exists anywhere other than this forum. It should be then better called MORPG.
> >
> > [You should try clicking here!](https://www.google.com/search?q=ORPG&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)
> >
> > Honestly, dude. You're trying too hard.
> >
> > Or maybe you're not trying hard enough.
>
> Said guy who is using VB6\. Error 404\. Value not found.

Sense, that didn't make.

Clouded, your future is.