Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Replacing Capacitors in Monitor

Rithy58

So my monitor has been flickering and such and because it's a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW, I knew it is the capacitors on the power supply. A little googling confirmed this. This will be my first time replacing capacitors so I'm quite new to this whole thing. I don't know what I need to buy. I think I got everything except the soldering iron. Some suggestion would be very nice.
http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=451b1fc637
If you can post up the part # from mouser that I need to buy, I'd really appreciate it.

Wait, not only are you repairing modern electronics at home, but you expect some of us to know what we're talking about? Consumer electronics are not really designed to be repaired by the consumers anymore, gotta love forced obsolescence.

I'm sorry to be a downer but I don't think you'll find help from any of us first hand here. Gwen maybe, I know she likes tinkering with stuff, but even then I think something like this might be too specialized. Any hobbyist sites or samsung/monitor sites out there that you've found? They might know more of the details on what exact capacitor you'd need and the best process of replacing it.

its probably going to be impossible to do. A monitor is going to have multiple capacitors, also capacitors have different thresholds and discharge rates. It is totally possible for the monitor to have custom-built capacitors or capacitors of varying rates/thresholds.

Also, if its the powersupply, I'd suggest not touching that.
source: I've shocked myself on a 300v capacitor once. It hurts. Also I've taken plenty of E/M classes

Will someone actually help him? Instead of yelling to him about how it's impossible and blah blah blah waste your money on a new one.

Ok, first of all. Get all these things. Go to radioshack.

1x Spool of Solder
1x Soldering Iron (Try at least 45 watt if you want to be able to get a good, easy melt.)
1x Desoldering Iron (45 watt again, for best results. You need a desoldering iron, a desoldering wick ain't gonna cut it.)
1x A good, steady hand.

Those are the tools now. First of all, find the capacitor that's at fault, get a new one. Second of all, use the de-soldering iron to take off the solder from the old, broken capacitor. Place the new one in, and solder it in. Be very careful now. Watch the polarity and make sure the solder isn't touching anywhere it shouldn't be.

Look up on google how to do a good de-soldering, and soldering job. Also, I still advise to go to radioshack. That's where I get all my stuff. (I'm a hobbyist.)

This is my desoldering iron. [http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=45+watt+desoldering+iron&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1745&bih=889&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6522632956671589919&sa=X&ei=tuWFT-T7MpKi8gSL4_23CA&ved=0CJgBEPMCMAI](http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=45+watt+desoldering+iron&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1745&bih=889&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6522632956671589919&sa=X&ei=tuWFT-T7MpKi8gSL4_23CA&ved=0CJgBEPMCMAI)

I wouldnt reccomend touching capacitors in a TV/Monitor unless you know what you are doing. I helped out a friend that worked at tv repair shop for like a day, and that was one of the things they warned us to stay away from. They store enough power to seriously cause damage if not death if you are not careful.

The capacitors I'm "touching" is only 25v. I did opened up my monitor and I saw the three capacitors that is bulging out with the electrolytes coming out.

I'm ordering the capacitors now and my cousin have a soldering iron. Now, do I need the solder and what kind? And what is a desoldering? is it like a tube that you squeeze to suck up the old solder when I melt it to remove the old capacity?

Sincerely,
Rithy