Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Recruiting] Freedom Online Pixel artists\Sound Artists

Stein

They're along these lines: (although this is just a base sprite I use to dress them up with customization)
![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/ee92f29f571f2031c1eb53c194a56fe5.jpg)

@Scypher:

> They're along these lines: (although this is just a base sprite I use to dress them up with customization)
> ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/ee92f29f571f2031c1eb53c194a56fe5.jpg)

Thanks. This can help me a lot. I downloaded it so I can customize it, so am I apart of the team :)?

If you can work in the style presented. ;] You can see the rest of it on the screenshots earlier as an example.. It's still impossible to tell if someone's good at something without them proving it! ;]

@Scypher:

> If you can work in the style presented. ;] You can see the rest of it on the screenshots earlier as an example.. It's still impossible to tell if someone's good at something without them proving it! ;]

Meh. Too tired.. :D I will tomorrow.

@Scypher:

> I have time, still waiting to finish the UI anyway.. And need to sort out a few bits and bops here and there.

Well I could make sprites any time any day..I'm just at that point where I haven't slept for days and I'm pooped.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/4494b663065911ba56108d5ae00577c0.png)
Anyway, some more work done on it.. Made all the little UI screens movable, seperated them and updated the stats screen to be a lot less.. erm.. texty? It needs some images and UI updates still of course. But it looks much better! I moused over a stat(which you can't see on the image, doesn't capture my mouse..) and it displays the experience gained for that stat in the lower right corner(Endurance in this case). I still need to add images to the stats though, the blue backgrounds are just placeholders for now!

@Scypher:

> ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/4494b663065911ba56108d5ae00577c0.png)
> Anyway, some more work done on it.. Made all the little UI screens movable, seperated them and updated the stats screen to be a lot less.. erm.. texty? It needs some images and UI updates still of course. But it looks much better! I moused over a stat(which you can't see on the image, doesn't capture my mouse..) and it displays the experience gained for that stat in the lower right corner(Endurance in this case). I still need to add images to the stats though, the blue backgrounds are just placeholders for now!

I really do like the way you put it, but something just seems off about it. I don't know what, but it just looks unorganized, which isn't a bad thing, but it still looks good. I like how you put the branch-like style for the top content.

It is far from done, I told him he didn't need to rush it and took it a little more literal than I had hoped. ;] But all in due time, I have no hurry in getting this out there. Although I am planning on getting a few people to test the way I render chat and handled the experience.. I really could use some feedback on that.

Hate to post again, but this could use some attention perhaps. ;]

There's a small demo build for download [–> HERE <--](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/60b2ff6a15262d800b7c3909d924fcb7.zip) and I would love some feedback on my stat system and the how the chat is rendered! The server will be up for a while, so don't worry about that.. It's running on a dedicated, so meh.

EDIT: After some testing today, I've fixed a few things for future versions..

-> Attacking another player with bare hands will no longer trigger a server crash.
-> If your chat keeps dissapearing you can use the Fix Chat option, this causes a small amount of additional overhead but will fix the surface issues that causes the chat to wipe itself.

And some things I need to look into:
-> Word Wrapping plain sucks.
-> Your inventory is invisible in the shop screen, making it impossible to sell items.

I'm probably going to get punched in the face for this again, but 8 days later I think I should be allowed to up my own topic right?

Anyway, I've been making some progress with adding small features in here and there, testing a new packet handler and finalizing ideas for systems.. But the most prominent feature I almost have completed would probably be the random item loot. It is not yet finished, mind you but I am getting there(There's a few sync bugs left here and there, and it will not let you see the stats properly yet) but the basic idea is just.. Well, you loot an item and the stats are randomly generated in a sense.. Here, let this image I took with the notes of my constants show you a bit:

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/3c119e4764a244444fbfd83b774b7a8a.png)
Now, note that the percentage based stuff has been modified a bit. It's all dependant on the rarity and intentional "level", or base stat amount of the item. So it will be a tad different from  the above notes, although it still essentially works the same.

Server-Side it currently looks as follows:
```
Public Sub GivePlayerRandomItem(ByVal Index As Long, ByVal Itemnum As Long, ByVal InvSlot As Long)
    Dim RandomType As Long, StatAmount As Long, Rarity As Long, TempNum As Long, TempAmount As Double, i As Long
    Dim Prefix As String

' Check to see if we're out of range, or if the item isn't random.
    If Itemnum < 1 Or Itemnum > MAX_ITEMS Then Exit Sub
    If Index < 1 Or Index > MAX_PLAYERS Then Exit Sub
    If Item(Itemnum).Random = 0 Then Exit Sub

' See what rarity we get
    TempNum = RAND(1, 100)
    If TempNum >= 95 Then
        Rarity = RARITY_EPIC
        TempAmount = 0.5
        Prefix = "Epic "
    ElseIf TempNum >= 80 And temnum < 95 Then
        Rarity = RARITY_RARE
        TempAmount = 0.35
        Prefix = "Rare "
    ElseIf TempNum >= 60 And TempNum < 80 Then
        Rarity = RARITY_UNCOMMON
        TempAmount = 0.2
        Prefix = "Uncommon "
    ElseIf TempNum >= 20 And TempNum < 60 Then
        Rarity = RARITY_COMMON
        TempAmount = 0
    Else
        Rarity = RARITY_BROKEN
        RandomType = RANDOM_BROKEN
        Prefix = "Broken "
    End If

' We've got a rarity! Determine the Enchant type
    If Rarity <> RARITY_BROKEN Then
        RandomType = RAND(1, MAX_RANDOM_TYPES)
    End If

' Set the item level for easy reference
    ItemLevel = Item(Itemnum).ItemLevel

' set the Bonus StatAmount
    StatAmount = ItemLevel * TempAmount
    If StatAmount < 4 And Rarity = RARITY_EPIC Then StatAmount = 4
    If StatAmount < 3 And Rarity = RARITY_RARE Then statatmount = 3
    If StatAmount < 2 And Rarity = RARITY_UNCOMMON Then StatAmount = 2
    If StatAmount < 1 And Rarity = RARITY_COMMON Then StatAmount = 1

' Give out the item based off of the randomtype
    Select Case RandomType
        Case RANDOM_SPEED
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Prefix = Prefix
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of Speed"
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Rarity = Rarity
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Speed = Item(Itemnum).Speed - (Item(Itemnum).Speed * TempAmount)
        Case RANDOM_DAMAGE
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of Damage"
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Damage = Item(Itemnum).Data2 + (Item(Itemnum).Data2 * TempAmount)
        Case RANDOM_WARRIOR
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of the Warrior"
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Attack) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Endurance) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
        Case RANDOM_ARCHER
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of the Archer"
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Archery) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
        Case RANDOM_MAGE
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of the Mage"
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Magic) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
        Case RANDOM_JESTER
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of the Jester"
        Case RANDOM_BATTLEMAGE
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of the Battlemage"
        Case RANDOM_ROGUE
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of the Rogue"
        Case RANDOM_TOWER
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of the Tower"
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Defense) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
        Case RANDOM_SURVIVALIST
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of Survival"
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Fishing) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Cooking) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
        Case RANDOM_PERFECTIONIST
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of Perfection"
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Mining) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Jeweler) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
        Case RANDOM_COALMEN
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of Coalmen"
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Mining) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Smithing) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
        Case RANDOM_BOWYER
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of the Bowyer"
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Woodcutting) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(Stats.Fletching) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
        Case RANDOM_BROKEN
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = ""
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Damage = Item(Itemnum).Data2 - (Item(Itemnum).Data2 / 10)
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Speed = Item(Itemnum).Speed - (Item(Itemnum).Speed / 10)
        Case RANDOM_PRISM
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of the Prism"
            For i = 1 To 4
                Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Stat(RAND(1, Stats.Stat_Count - 1)) = ItemLevel + StatAmount
            Next
        Case RANDOM_CANNON
            Player(Index).RandInv(InvSlot).Suffix = " of the Cannon"
    End Select

' Set the default item to the player's inventory so they actually own it.
    Player(Index).Inv(InvSlot).Num = Itemnum
    SendInventory Index
    SendInventoryRand Index

End Sub
```
Anyhow, back to working on it some more and sorting out the kinks so I can throw up a new public Alpha for people to try out!

I see, thank you. I did not know that.

Anyhow, I've been finishing off the new random loot system and I think it works pretty nicely.. Here's a screenshot of it in action on a bow:
![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/486922d5e5a08d8e2c0f0c7b5057bf7c.png)
Not bad right? I don't think it is at least..

There's a test download for you to try this build for me over [-> Here <-](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/633a881f955c07a17e3e48786644e24b.zip)

There's a few random items to be found over the map. And the cows drop helmets.. Although I wouldn't suggesting attacking them right away. They eat human flesh. *shiver*

**Known Issues:**
-> ~~Trading a randomized item will make it lose all stats.~~ **FIXED**
-> ~~Banking a randomized item will make it lose all stats.~~ **FIXED**
-> ~~The Shop window shows no tooltips.~~ **FIXED**
-> ~~The HotBar is broken.~~ **FIXED**
-> ~~Spells can not be dragged properly.~~ **FIXED**
-> Chat can randomly disappear when the screen is not visible.
-> ~~The screen does not fit on most Netbook resolutions.~~ **FIXED**
-> ~~Fix Chat can not be disabled from within the client.~~ **FIXED**
-> ~~Fix Chat renders some odd bold text.~~ **FIXED**
-> Cows eat your face.

Enjoy, or.. don't? So long as I can get as much feedback on this as I possibly can!

**In other news**, I still need a pixel artist. I really really do. :[

Well, another batch of fixing later..

>! * Modified the amount of items you can trade, you can only offer up to five items at a time now.
* Trading a randomized item will no longer cause it to lose it's stats.
* Banking a randomized item will no longer cause it to lose it's stats.
* The Shop window has been patched up, and shows glorious tool tips once more
* The Hotbar no longer has the nasty tendency to not display the items and spells you place onto it.
* You can move spells without causing the spells screen to go berserk.
* The game's resolution has been adjusted to be able to fit on a wider variety of screen resolutions.
* The Fix Chat option now actually fixes the chat disappearing constantly on certain system configurations.
* The Fix Chat option no longer causes odd bold lines to be rendered around text.
* Changed a lot of button based commands in stores to work with the mouse buttons, left clicking appraises an item and right clicking buys/sells it.
* Fixed some minor issues regarding the server losing data I accidentally put down as temporary over lasting data.
* The bank no longer allows you to stack armor, helmets, weapons and shields.
* The amount of slots you have on your bank have been reduced to 45.

Hopefully this solves a lot of the issues people were having with the client. Still no GUI however. :[ I think the guy that was working on it eloped with his blowup doll or something. I haven't heard from him in a while sadly. Anyway, known issues!

**Known Issues:**
-> Chat can randomly disappear when the screen is not visible(e.g. hidden behind another screen). You can force it to render again by either ticking and unticking the Fix Chat option, or waiting for a message to be sent(Or sending one yourself if you're feeling lonely).
-> Tooltips in the Trade window are not in the right place.
-> The Options Menus is nowhere near done.
-> The Chat Bubbles option does not function yet(Forgot I threw it in there to be fair).
-> The Guild Screen is mostly unfinished, and has a ton of issues.

**Download Alpha 0.2.5:**
[–> Download <--](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/901c6f8e3622724036890ce3fc9840fd.zip)

As always, the download is as small as possible and ONLY holds data that is actually used in the test environment. Do not expect a fully functional game, or anything along those lines. This is merely a functionality testing environment. I have no graphics of my own to use as of yet, and thus can not start mapping or working on content yet.

**Recruiting**
As said before, I am still on the lookout for graphical artists and music ones. And since I don't seem to have a UI person anymore.. That would probably be a big help as well! Sadly without these three I can not start to actually make the GAME itself. I can program yes, but without the graphical work I am unable to complete my work.

Sadly, in my present state I am unable to pay people properly. I am willing to help out or pay where I can or might be able to, but right now this is simply not a viable option. Do also remember that this is a learning project for me, to understand what it takes to fully manage and run a game along with a community that will hopefully spawn around it. So I'm hoping other likeminded people will step up and try to help me out where possible, so we can make this something worth noting together.

–---

Chagelog for the next update:

>! * You can now turn off the Chat Bubbles from your options menu.
* Magic Damage is no longer static, your magic stat can increase the damage just as your melee abilities would benefit from Attack. And your enemy's Defense stat will reduce damage like it does on Melee attacks as well.
* Critical Hits are now based off of the stat that you train with your currently equipped weapon or spell cast instead of Attack.
* Fixed the Trade Tooltips.

• 2 weeks later...