Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to send client and autoupdater?

Grovvycko

So I'd like to start sharing my client and autoupdater with other people.

But I'm not sure which files to send/how to send/how to give a download/etc.

For the autoupdater, I **have** read the guide on **how to set it up.** However, I still have a question.
What file(s) do I give to the players?

I'm also not sure on what file(s) to give to my players as well.

As well, I'm confused on how Hamachi plays into this. I know it has something to do with letting the server work on their computers?

I'm really sorry for my noob questions, but um, this is my first ever MMO. ^^; Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

So if there's a guide or something that I missed or you know how, can you please tell me?

Thanks~

well first follow this tutorial it tells u what files u use and ect.
AUTO UPDATER: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf2/index.php/topic,70013.0.html

The hamachi will provide u a ip address which u should add in your client config file.
anyways in order for that work make sure you do this. also they need to install hamachi.

1\. Make the downloadable zip or rar
2.add all the files you need in there which tells you in the tutorial above.
i would also add the runtimes installer for origins and the hamachi in the downloadable zip folder to your game to save them the trouble to
find em.
3.send em download link to that client zip or rar make em install both hamachi and runtime's
extract the folder to idk where ever they want and play.

this is basically it o.o… post if u have more questions

I have a question about the autoupdater it's self… If I put those files in my Client folder, it'll replace the "Data files" and "src" folder in my Client. Or am I missing somethere there?

So basically I send them the .rar made for the Autoupdater + Hamachi + Runtimes + The Updater it's self?

hmm no.
1\. make a new folder name it client
2.add the data files+Auto Updater + Client + unrar.dll <–-> you can add hamachi installer and runtimes into to make it easier for people to install those to its optinal.
3\. compress the folder into a .zip or .rar folder
4\. upload it and share link

now when your friend gets it if would like to add an update to the game add it to ur webhoster and tell him to run updater.

oh upload the zip or rar file to mediafire.com and share that link around to friends

@Grovvycko:

> OK ummmm if I copy/paste the files I was told to put into the Client Folder to get the Autoupdater to work, then it'll replace my game's Data Files/SRC folder. Is that supposed to happen? Or am I missing something?

You can hand add the files, instead of replacing them.
DO NOT replace the src files for the autoupdater with your client ones.

Bluefroggy, I'm saying that I'll be replacing my client files, not my Autoupdater files. I'm concerned for the game's data if I do that.

Stein, I don't have to worry about VB6\. xD This MMO of mine is literally a giant map for someone, so it doesn't have anything fancy.

@Grovvycko:

> OK. I see.
>
> So with files to send:
> Autoupdater:
> .exe, Data Files folder
> Client:
> .exe, Data Files folder
>
> If I am not mistaken.
>
> So exactly _how_ do I send it to people?

You only need one data files folder sent with everything.
You can send it to people by uploading a .zip of the folder containing everything and sending them the link.

• 3 months later...