Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Huge Problem

Whackeddie99

Alright, my friend's game has a shitload of players, and was maxed at 70 and everyone was complaining about the hotbar bug and trade crash bug etc, so he asked me to program some features in. He was using the projectiles system ( he just downloaded it from the projectile tutorial) and thats it. His game has a ton of maps and a ton of items, it took him forever to make. So I downloaded Eclipse Origins Fixed because of the bug fixes, added the projectiles system, added player levels, and added the text memory leak thing. When he redownloaded server and client, he replaced the client data files with that of his games, and replaced the server data folder with that of his server. But now, when everyone tries to connect (after downloading the new client) it either:

A. Shows nothing for the piscreen and says syncing… where ping is

B. Shows the game in the piscreen, shows around 3000 for ping, and nothing works that requires sending packets, like changing maps, talking, equipping weapons, etc.

I checked several times, don't know whats wrong. I didn't add anything new to playerRec, and seeing as the only thing I DID add in that affects that was the projectiles system, maybe its with that? But the thing is is he was already using the projectiles system.

Help please!

EDIT: I also changed the MAX_PLAYERS to 150, MAX_TRADES to 75, and MAX_LEVEL to 60, both client and server side.

@JustinSD:

> my friend's game has a shitload of players
> my friend's game has a shitload of players
> game has a shitload of players
> shitload of players
>
> On topic
>
> how stable is the "projectile tutorial"
>
> I'd start by removing that and re applying it.

He's been using that for some time now. He was just using the projectile tutorial on a blank EO that you can download from the projectile tutorial page. He doesn't have vb6, so he asked me to add some new stuff. But instead of taking his source, I just download EO fixed an put in the projectiles, so maybe I should try again with his source or something?

@Alatar:

> Hmm nope. And players are having errors with maps created on the new version (original ones of the new version)?

The maps are all from the first client, we just replaced the new client's data files folder with the old client, and the new server's data folder with the old server's. This way we could keep all the maps. For some reason, when you log in sometimes nothing shows up for picScreen, and about 25% of the time it does, but like i said…

@gooby:

> B. Shows the map on the picScreen, shows around 3000 for ping, and nothing works that requires sending packets, like changing maps, talking, equipping weapons, etc.

The only thing that DID work was moving around.

@Dolan:

> So, apparently to you, 70 players is considered a shit load?
>
> This is why this community is going nowhere.

70 is what the engine is currently maxed at. During the day it's almost always maxed. For an eclipse game, this is a lot of people playing. Actually, they have found a LOT of bugs because of all the players playing. This is obviously one of them.

The community is going somwhere, thanks to jcsnider.

Dolan y u hait gooby

@Dolan:

> So, apparently to you, 70 players is considered a shit load?
>
> This is why this community is going nowhere.

The engine IS maxed at 70, and for an Eclipse game, that is amazing. I doubt my game would ever have that many players. I have fewer than 5 friends in real life, and under 5 from the Internet. The community won't really get anywhere, but we can still have fun while getting there!

By the way- 250th post! Halfway to 500 (new usergroup?)

Try to read a player .dat and check manually if it has difference between a new one created on the new source, maybe there's something missing (I'm saying this because the only time I've experienced an error like yours was when I've forget to store the .sprite variable in a playerrec (long ago), and I've figure it out checking manually the .dat)