Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to track time in a space game.

cheatking

Well, you can always make a planetary map then, and make time run different on every planet based on the distance and rotational force by gravity of the planet on that map. It may not be perfect, but in terms of immersion it might be a lot more interesting and different for a player than having each planet run on the same clock (although a universal clock that's linked to say, your faction's main hub's time may also be of use)

@Stein:

> Well, you can always make a planetary map then, and make time run different on every planet based on the distance and rotational force by gravity of the planet on that map. It may not be perfect, but in terms of immersion it might be a lot more interesting and different for a player than having each planet run on the same clock (although a universal clock that's linked to say, your faction's main hub's time may also be of use)

This should be fun.

It's a retarded concept that basically makes you work on something nobody will give a single duck about and/or won't like. Immersion is not about making everything seem as complicated as it possibly can, it's about making the player familiar with the world around him. Splitting every single planet to a different time line will make in-game time useless as people will use real time to avoid confusion you are about to ducking cause them.

The only thing this could be possibly useful for is controlling time of the day for different planets, basing any player interaction on it would cause nothing but headaches and frustration.

Which is why I also mentioned to use a single universal time along with it?

But look at our solar system, no planet here runs at the same time. Why would planets in a fictional game? And I did mean so he could add different day/night cycles to planets. Not to use it as an all and absolute game time mechanic. Because again, I did mention a universal time along with it. Be it faction based, completely universal or whatever.

Sorry, as I look at it now my comment probably seemed offensive. It's a retarded concept game design wise. But more than I think about it, it's not that bad, and not really redundant. So yeah, my mistake.

True.

Make a universal time system based off of tens. Say that it was made by an intergalactic congress that convened thousands of years ago. If you want, have uncivilized/outlying planets use their own rogue system.

@Eckhart:

> Make a universal time system based off of tens. Say that it was made by an intergalactic congress that convened thousands of years ago. If you want, have uncivilized/outlying planets use their own rogue system.

Metric time it is!