Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

C++ Game Developers

Iscn

Hello i wanted to know for C++ game development which library is better.

SDL or Allegro or SFML.

Also if any of these are compatible with Dev C++ .(i am just use to Dev C++)

If you have other recommendations let me know.

> I started trying some stuff with c++ some time ago and directly used sdl+opengl… It was a pretty easy to use combination for 2d-stuff (never got further into 3d). And I think SDL is what most people use (correct me if I'm wrong)
>
> -seal

Hm that is what i want to do too but i read somewhere that it does not support .png and can't handle transparency.

> ofc opengl CAN handle transparency and for png-support there are libraries (libpng if i remember correctly). Also for fonts etc. so it can basically handle everything you need with the right libraries I think.
>
> -seal

Thanks i will use that then. Do you know if it is usable wiht the Dev C++ ide?

> Its all preference. I am sure either of the 3 will do the job fine. I havent used any of them so i cant really give information beyond that. Try looking them all up on wikipedia and checking which one is best for game making.

More people recommend sfml so i might look into it. it's just that sfml require VSC++ or CODEBLOCKS.

> Why are you using Codeblocks? Stephan will disagree with you.
>
> And easily SFML.

> Use visual studio, it is used most in the industry so you might as well get used to it. Also it may seem a bit intense with all the features and options at the start. But those things get incredibly useful later on.

Yeah i am just going to use that one. It has so many options. I look at it and shrink.

Anyway, Marshy Dearest do you have the express version with the sfml libraries installed? do you have tutorials on this you can post?

I followed the tuts on their website but i get errors every time. Already reinstalled the whole thing 5 times. The error still persists