Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[EO 3.0] Inventory/Spell Tab Getting Cut Off?

lcarens

> because EO 3.0 renders a box in black that cuts off anything under it. you just have to go into the rendering sub and Render the background texture there

I do believe he said BITMAPS, which are not used in 3.0\. Please read before you post.

Anyway, could you show us an example of the problem? I don't quite understand. (Your attachment doesn't appear to be there)

VB6 natively supports .jpg and .bmp, so even when I was using DX6, I was able to replace all of the .jpg files with .bmp.

I'm not sure why my screenshot didn't show up, so I uploaded it to Photobucket instead:

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz220/pokemonshadowbladerpg/cutoff.png

I'm confused now, what version are we talking about? 2.3 doesn't do this because of the way it is handled, the ONLY engine that does this is 3.0 and it's derivatives, which uses *.png for the alpha channels and whatnot.

In case it is 3.0(and I'll have to slap you for using bitmaps in that version, real hard) you'll need to render a seperate image behind the items to make it show up, the D3D8 engine overlays the GDI set image of the background.

> I'm confused now, what version are we talking about? 2.3 doesn't do this because of the way it is handled, the ONLY engine that does this is 3.0 and it's derivatives, which uses *.png for the alpha channels and whatnot.
>
> In case it is 3.0(and I'll have to slap you for using bitmaps in that version, real hard) you'll need to render a seperate image behind the items to make it show up, the D3D8 engine overlays the GDI set image of the background.

Yes, I'm using 3.0, and I'm using bitmaps, so I guess you'll have to slap me. xD

How would I go about rendering a separate image? And isn't it doing that already, since it is showing the top part of the inventory.bmp?

The background is loaded on the GDI form objects, it isn't actually rendered by the rendering engine. How you do that is.. well, load in a new surface and render it before rendering the image icons.

Can't guarantee how it'll look though, why are you using bitmaps in the first place? If you're going to use Bitmaps, you're better off using older versions such as 2.3 to be honest. (Seeing as the only reason to use DirectX8 is to well.. Step away from the simple transparency color and make use of Alpha Masking to get gradual transparency, not to mention the filesize is waaay smaller)

> The background is loaded on the GDI form objects, it isn't actually rendered by the rendering engine. How you do that is.. well, load in a new surface and render it before rendering the image icons.
>
> Can't guarantee how it'll look though, why are you using bitmaps in the first place? If you're going to use Bitmaps, you're better off using older versions such as 2.3 to be honest. (Seeing as the only reason to use DirectX8 is to well.. Step away from the simple transparency color and make use of Alpha Masking to get gradual transparency, not to mention the filesize is waaay smaller)

I'm using PNG for almost everything outside of the GUI, since I was under the impression that it needed to be in either JPG or BMP since that was how it was when I downloaded a clean copy.

I would use PNG for everything if I could, but there might be some type of error that I would get if I tried, and I haven't gotten around to trying yet. (I have all of my GUI saved in a lossless format in case I can do that)

The downside of 3.0, it was kept to be.. relatively simple to edit, but brings this kind of flaws. Several file formats, and some things that were just left as-is and never fixed.

Basically, you can completely delete the loading portion for the inventory/spell bitmaps and delete those files and replace them with *.PNG files, then load them in as a surface through the D3D8 engine and render them before the icons are rendered. It sounds much more complicated than it is.

> The downside of 3.0, it was kept to be.. relatively simple to edit, but brings this kind of flaws. Several file formats, and some things that were just left as-is and never fixed.
>
> Basically, you can completely delete the loading portion for the inventory/spell bitmaps and delete those files and replace them with *.PNG files, then load them in as a surface through the D3D8 engine and render them before the icons are rendered. It sounds much more complicated than it is.

Do you know of where I could find a tutorial to do so? I never messed much with DirectX, only the code for the engine itself.

> I don't believe there is one, not a great deal of people ever used EO3.0 to make a game in I'm afraid. (It was made during a transition, where most people were using DD7 engines still)

I was referring more so to a guide on how to use DX8 to create a surface and render them. If I can get it working, I'll put a guide up on how to do so.