Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Making profit out of F2P game without making it too hard/not amusing for non-paying customers

darkhog

What are your thoughts about making profit out of free games? Obviously server won't pay for itself so there's need to be some way. Obviously donations are one of options, but what with others?

My thoughts so far is to make microtransaction system that is simply fair for both paying and non-paying customers. The rules of it are as follows:

1\. Offer only cosmetic upgrades, like mounts, hats or other non-gameplay altering stuff for premium members.

2\. If you want to make some gameplay-altering changes available for premium members, do it so those things would still be obtainable for non-paying customers, but ***very hard*** to actually obtain, like road to premium city/town filled with high-level enemies while premium members can simply teleport to said area, bypassing enemy zone. Or some powerful weapon/armor/whatever that premium members can buy at any quantity, but it is also hidden in very remote and hard to reach place for non-premium users, but only obtainable one time (so when it's gone - it's gone. Try to find premium member that will sell one to you and take better care of it next time). This way, paying players will get some advantage, but it won't be Pay2Win, because non-paying players will still technically be able to obtain same items/go to same areas if they have enough skills.

Also good solution would be to partner with one of those companies that will give you small buck if you'll add their toolbar to your game's installer.

I suggest you look into the model Turbine holds for LOTRO, you gain shop currency by doing deeds, specific events and just random achievements you get in those games. It's not a lot, but there is the ability to play for free entirely, should you dedicate a bit of grinding to it. They also offer a decent base game, with free stuff so you can -always- continue, even if it's a grind. But to make it easier, they sell cheap quest packs for new zones, boosts that make your characters stronger and whatnot. There's also cosmetics and helpful items that say, remove specific points so you can restat a weapon(Legendary Items are more complex, but just to make a simple point ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)) or increase the chance of a critical craft(increases the item quality). Keep in mind that LOTRO also has a subscription option which makes most quest packs freely available.. So that might not be a good idea in full F2P games.. But you get the idea ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

Personally I'm an understanding player when it comes to micro transactions in F2P games. Turbines model, as Joyce mentioned is decent, but in my opinion a touch too much, even for 'bigger games'. For example, in Dungeons and Dragons Online, everytime a player needed something in a dungeon, they could purchase it from the store. No rogue or artificier on the team to open locked treasure chests? Buy something from the store to fix that! Don't have enough strength to pull that rusty lever? Buy something from the store to fix that! Died near the end and don't want to replay? Buy something to fix that! I assume LOTRO's Turbine store was probably simular, it felt definately too much, players who could spare a few bucks here and there were able to breeze through any situation. Heck, there was even some options in the store to start a new character at both a high level and with additional stats. They made it possible in game to 'achieve' it, but it was literally impossible. But of course, the player who could spare some money on the game could easily achieve such perks becoming the strongest players in the game able to breeze through any encounter thanks to the cash shop.

Partly, LOTRO has some ressurection scrolls (on a 30 minute cooldown) and stuff to increase crafting chances, reputation gains etc. But you can't buy higher level characters and the like on it. The only thing that really affects the game in my opinion, are the stat books they sell. (Permanently increases your xxxxx stat by x, one time use only and there's several levels of them) as well as these stats and effects you'd normally need to grind up for your Weapon(s). Other than that, I rarely see anything in the game that really promotes the store an awful lot.

It's fair in a sense, although I do hear a lot of people complain about DDO's system.

From what you're saying, LOTRO and D&D Online may get new player soon ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png).

Yeah, that's almost what I'm thinking about.

In my opinion, premium features should be constructed in way, if they're altering gameplay, that allows for getting them with only hard work. 80% of players will buy it anyway and devs will get their well-deserved buck and rest 20% which are either poor, like play hard way or just don't wanna to waste tons of real money on virtual sword that is only slightly better than maxed sword for free users won't feel put off.

ok ill comment.

from what i seen on a few games

special items, fuel, packs,pets/special pets, auto remote(so u can be lazy), and other items. in a shop. but to use the extra shop u pay rl cash.

i seen near 5-7 games use this method . Free to play, to get the good stuff u pay XD.

not sure this helps but alot of games do it this way. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Providers of such games : IGG,aeria,Digimon online(2.5D verison and 3d), IJJI (no longer merged with aeria)

o-o

Yeah, that model I'm calling being a hole (you know which one) to the customers, and I agree with Notch there that most F2P games are scam (i.e. executed the way you mentioned).

–-BUT---

I'm not agreeing with him completely as I believe F2P executed correctly will be both good for customers and devs (i.e. you can buy good stuff for real money, but you can also earn them - latter shouldn't be too easy though as people wouldn't pay then).

quests and system event give out items"Wonderland Online" has such events alot some weeky. some items give exp %s to them making faster leveling. also by taking part in the events the earn Credits which can help buy items from there credit mall. any free to play game. that allows a shop in it is making money and think this way. how do the keep up hosting and work and bills caused by such?? this way there not begging there supplying a items you can buy. even facebook games do it. not like u need to rail road them. maybe 5buck for 1k of point and make prices reasonable. and you will help both out.but if you think of how IGG prices are XD i be they make near few 100k a year. XDD.

simplely put just look from both sides.

another way to make cash is maybe set price to account creation 1 time fee. all depends how u wanna do it.

One option I think is decent is make it so aesthetic bonus items are things you buy instead of items that have gameplay balance restrictions. The people who want that sort of immersion are the people more likely to buy microtransaction features anyway. If they are equipment or other things like that you can have issues with "play2win" items which disrupt game balance.

only thing the weapons are nice for is critical hit % bonus's XD snow ears(white cats) +20 spd not much.

but packs give stuff like weights to lower spd potions and other "cosmetic" stuff. you can do with out ik b/c i did it. XD sucky part is if players resell the item shop stuff. b/c think there no control on what they will charge. unless you set a book value in game to advoid op resales. o-o

• 2 weeks later...
Path of Exile and sadly League of Legends are the best way to go. Only cosmetics and convenience.

By convenience I mean, extra bank space (Not to limit the player to an abysmally small size to begin with, but more of a luxury for those who dont want to mule everything they find), increased XP, SP, or other level components for an hour or day. Large HP/MP regeneration for PvE outside of instances. Skins or custom sprites for looks, and spell effects (If you consider yourself savvy enough to check each one for a cash shop change to morph it from one to another that is). Cosmetic pets, though Im highly against pets as is, as they just seem to cause problems from anyone. Custom in game avatar.

Most importantly, cheaper in game functions. Offer a membership package that gives a small amount of CS currency, as well as cheaper bank upgrades, player house upgrades, player shop creation fees, etc etc. Maybe its monthly, or maybe you can buy it 5 times (Or pay 75% and only spend 35$ instead of say 10$) and you get the effects permanently.

10% exp boost for all party members is also a neat one. Its not going to ruin the game too much for free players, hell they might have a friend who can rub off some of their fortune off on them.

Things to avoid however. Magic Find, Chance to Drop, Rare loot, or Gamble Boxes should ALWAYS be avoided. No matter how much the player base complains, youll lose more players from this mess then youll lose that actually want to pay up. Not to mention less players playing means less surface area for players to actually join the game, ie F2P player has 3 friends who join him, 2 pay for the game. Scare off F2P player before his friends join, nobody pays.