Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do i need to buy server?

joihnsonlee

It depends on how you want to run it.

A. You run it straight off your computer. This means your computer always needs to be turned on in order for players to connect.

B. You make or use another computer to host the server and you keep it on all the time.

C. You pay another member here on Eclipse to host it for you.

Lastly, D. You can purchase/rent a VPS that hosts your server for you. You just pay monthly for it and connect to it using your computer. This is somewhat expensive compared to other methods but it means you don't need to have any computers on in your house or have to trust another member with your game.

As above really, But I would like to add you will need a windows VPS to run an VB6 program like the server. A VPS is a shared connection with X amount of other VPS owners in the same server as your own. Hosting the server at home and downloading a large file, like a movie, would lag the server out for all players but your self until the file is finished. Few people here have a dedicated server such as my self which is like have a really good PC with a dedicated phone line so no lag during peak hours etc. It can be used for everything from web hosting to game servers to botting on games (with loads of accounts (gold farming)). Which ever path you take remember VB6 builds are a single threaded application so buying 16 cores 16 gb ram means nothing to it as the server (in this instance) can only utilise a single core (first one) and upto 4gb ram IIRC.

@Benjo, it's 4GB on a 64-bit OS however if you're on a 32-bit OS, you only get about half that. reason being 64-bit, since it can use more ram than 32-bit, it can handle mapping programs to certain parts of the memory, thus the extra amount of memory for systems.

Anywho, I do $5 hosting! *Shamelessadvertising*

@'Growlith1223':

> @Benjo, it's 4GB on a 64-bit OS however if you're on a 32-bit OS, you only get about half that. reason being 64-bit, since it can use more ram than 32-bit, it can handle mapping programs to certain parts of the memory, thus the extra amount of memory for systems.
>
> Anywho, I do $5 hosting! *Shamelessadvertising*

Not to post a useless "note" but wanted to say hes correct, I just threw what I knew out there just to add some information to Nell's post. I used to offer hosting for a few bucks a month but when they either don't respond to messages about late payments or server crashes a few times a day becomes not worth it.