Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Map

guuh

I think your maps look good.

Only a few little things bother me:

**Screenshot1:** The house in general, the fountain on the roof and a few too many snowmen. ![:o](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.png)

**Screenshot2:** Insufficient high grass (reminds me too much of Metin2 -.-), using more high grass, it looks more like "TES4Oblivion" only in 2D. ![:D](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.png)

**Screenshot3****:** Looks good. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

Screenshot 1: well i'm a mountain mapper expert , some mistake on adding a tile on it will become a disaster at a map.. But i can see that you are no beginner mapper , so i say it was great..

Screenshot 2: Just a normal map , but too much plain below because of that edge , it will be great if your not showing that instead of the northern part ..

Screenshot 3: well it seem fine to me

overall your map was great , hope you show more

It's like you ignored all common sense and just placed things at random. Your maps have **very little** sensible tile placement. Try worrying less about filling empty space and more about the design _behind_ the map; worry about its purpose.

First map:

* You've fenced off an ugly, useless building. The only gate opens directly to a ladder that leads the roof? what part of this sounded like a good idea?
* Tall grass is placed about as awkward and random as could be. You even put grass in the ONE place it shouldn't be found - smack dab in the middle of the walkway to your useless building. To top it off, you neglected to put any AROUND the building/walkway, as if to say: "f*ck logic."
* Apparently some rebel went around building snowmen in the wilderness
* Your little ice cave that isn't a cave is probably the worst part of this map. It's an eyesore and makes absolutely no sense.
* Hardy yellow flowers growing strong in the winter? Unless they are a unique species that play a role in your game, you need to ditch 'em.
* While not as bad as the others, the stumps and collapsed cliff-sides are too random/common.
* This map would be a female dog to navigate.

Second map:

* When you walk outside, is it normal for every 3rd tree to be naked/dead? In most cases the answer is no. To this day I can't make sense of why this is so common among rookies.
* It is not okay to fill lots of empty space by evenly dispersing every single plant tile at your disposal. It just looks ugly. In real life, plantlife often grows in clumps and patterns.
* It's boring.

Third map:

* Same as before. This map is easier to look at.
* Probably the most useless of all the maps.
* Also a female dog to navigate.

Games are allowed to break logic, but there's a certain threshold and you're way past it. You've got a lot of rookie mistakes to fix. Keep at it.

Nook gave some solid advice. Another note about tree stumps, who would cut a tree on top of a cliff in the middle of wilderness? In the first map, there's a stump on the cliff that seems kind of randomly there. The notes about logic nook made are pretty key. When you place a tile, make sure it makes sense. Why is that tile there? Is there any reason it shouldn't be there? What is the purpose for it to be there, both inside of the game as a role playing device and at a more meta level of why does the player need to see it or interact with it?

Now a note about trees/plants. They grow in thickets and clumps. Place trees densely together in woods and fields. In drier areas, they should still grow in thickets. Maybe place three or four trees per 25x25 in drier areas, all in a clump. If it's even drier, a single tree per 25x25 would be fine.