Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse server

Lucy-heartfillia

Whenever you want to host your server and ensure that people can connect, you have two options.

1) Log Me In Hamachi

2) Port forwarding.

Setting up Log Me In Hamachi is much easier than figuring out how you can port forward (assuming you're new to this), but its worse in the long run. In order for other people to connect, they would have to download LMIH as well.

Port forwarding is more complicated, but better in the long run. Your future players won't be hassled with having to download an extra program just so they can connect.

port forwarding is not done through eclipse… its done on your router. You have to login into your router. go to portforward, put in your computer's ip, and port you want to forward to. then in eclipse you put in the same port that you put in your router.

I always get to know to what IP I have to go to for port forwarding is by going to open cmd using windows run. And then type in ipconfig.

It's your default gateway.

Also a great site to use is: http://portforward.com/

See if it lists your router, it most likely does. If it doesn't it's still good to look around other routers. The steps are quite similar to each other.

global IP ( http://ipchicken.com/ ) works for some routers too to access your router. When I was new to this stuff I used to use that one because it worked, but when I recieved a new router I noticed I had to use my default gateway.

In case anyone new to port forwarding reading in this topic is getting confused by the different IPs.

Default gateway = best way to connect to your router.

LAN IP (aka IPv4) = An IP that mostly looks similar to your default gateway, in common cases only the last number is different, this IP tells to which computer on you network you open a port for/connect to. You'll only note this at port forwarding, or to connect to your server from a computer that's connected to the same network. You can find it the same way as your default gateway. In command prompt -> ipconfig

Global IP = IP other people from other networks will use to connect to your PC. Put this one at config.ini for the client you send to others. You can find this IP at sites like ipchicken.com

(I'm no expert either so correct me if I'm wrong. )