Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Setting things transparent whit directx7

santa-clause

I found this tutorial it's a little old but it still works but i have one problem it works till i put it onto the picscreen because then frmMain just overwrites the transparency of the chat.

how can i fix this?

> Put this in modGameLogic, at the top.
>
> ```
>
> 'Eclipse Transparent chat, Tutorial Created by Akio!
>
> Public Declare Function SetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias "SetWindowLongA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long, ByVal dwNewLong As Long) As Long
>
> Public Const GWL_EXSTYLE = (-20)
>
> Public Const WS_EX_TRANSPARENT = &H20&
> ```
>
> Then, put this on the top of frmMain code.
>
> Dim result As Long
>
> result = SetWindowLong(txtChat.hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE, WS_EX_TRANSPARENT)
>
> result = SetWindowLong(txtMyChat.hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE, WS_EX_TRANSPARENT)
>
> If you want anyother transparent text boxes, copy" result = SetWindowLong(txtChat.hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE, WS_EX_TRANSPARENT) " , and replace txtChat with textbox name.
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> Akio
>
> Credits: I did not make the code, i found this a while ago on my comptuer, and i have no idea were it is from.

Long story short, this is not a good solution and will be terrible at best if you ever did get it implemented with the functionality you are after. You need dx8 to truly do what you are trying. A detailed answer would only give the same conclusion, trust me I tried.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to use something like this, you have to put it in to the game loop so it constantly updates the background of the chat box. Otherwise, this will set the chat box transparent and when you move, the background will not move with it. Now when you do this successfully, you'll notice just how awful of an idea this is in DX7 by your FPS. Good luck.