Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

30 Days of "How To" with Ne[o]x

Ne-o-x

> [http://www.mercurial…m/media-gallery](http://www.mercurialhavoc.com/media-gallery)
>
> Oh damn, maybe I should watch Neox's stream; I seem to have forgotten my assortment of 32x32 tiles somewhere. /end
>
> PS. There was no "discrediting" concerning him. I simply asked why he felt he had enough authority to warrant him attempting to teach other people anything pertaining to game development. I stated from the very start of this that I felt he had nothing but good intentions and that I had no problem with his attempt. Perhaps I was genuinely interested in seeing some of his work, but after seeing what he did post-live it's unfortunate that it isn't something that I'd personally use as an example for the work I would do.

Your maps are not good. I already looked at them.

By questioning his work you are discrediting him as a developer. You need to see his previous work to be able to agree with what he is doing. If you deem his skills inferior to yours, then obviously you will automatically deem him bad. If you just took a moment to watch him on the stream for a few minutes you would know if you wanted to watch him or not. You do not need work to do that.

> Your maps are not good. I already looked at them.
>
> By questioning his work you are discrediting him as a developer. You need to see his previous work to be able to agree with what he is doing. If you deem his skills inferior to yours, then obviously you will automatically deem him bad. If you just took a moment to watch him on the stream for a few minutes you would know if you wanted to watch him or not. You do not need work to do that.

I'm assuming your referring to the **tech demo's** relating to my 2D map editor, and in which case I'm audibly laughing at you. What exactly are you rambling on about?

PS. Watched his stream for around 20 seconds; the only sound emitting from the stream was dubstep, and the map he was working on looked far from appealing. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

> Your opinion means jack shit. It is the niche we're targeting not you. I already said your opinion only matters if you understand the niche we're targeting or part of that niche.
>
> Programmers do not count toward creating a game world. He may be a great programmer, but **he has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to creating a world via mapping and art**.
>
> I don't like how he has this high arrogance about him. Comes in this thread discrediting NeoX acting like he's doing people bad or something. Just piss off and let him try to help people learn game development.

Firstly, an opinion is still an opinion. If you disagree, fine, but yours is no more valid than anyone else's (unless maybe you've been a part of the creation for a AAA game?).

Secondly, I'll ask again, how do you know Budweiser hasn't done game design before? You don't. Stop assuming, it makes you look like a cretin.

And thirdly, criticism is good. Bud, and myself, never said what Neox was doing was bad. We never told him to stop; all we asked, or suggested, was that he had some evidence of his work which made him loosely qualified to tell people "the proper way" to map.

So, he's worked on Silverdale and Bomberman. Bomberman doesn't count because, despite being a great game, it's just a clone of another and has no use of any of the skills listed in the OP.

And Silverdale is where the argument arises:

Bud doesn't think the mapping is great, and I agree to some extent. It's not bad, sure, but it's not brilliant. The tiles and sprites used are really nice (the "art", if you will), but the actual mapping leaves a lot to be desired.

So, that is an opinion. It's just that, okay? Just an opinion; it's not fact. Remember your lessons on subjectivity versus objectivity? Two people think one thing, some others think the opposite. Both are free to express their opinions, but none is necessarily correct.

Now, relax your balls and have an ice tea.

Ne[o]X, thank you for doing this. It's an excellent contribution to the community. I hope you're having people show up and challenging yourself at the same time.

Honestly, I wouldn't include the images of what you produced on the first day in a game, although it has technical merit. Clutter is a pet peeve in aesthetics as well as domestics for me, but where beginners overwhelmingly tend to the simplistic in their mapping, your influence could balance them to a happier medium. Thank you for helping others. I think this is also an opportunity to gather a bit of feedback on your own methods - which are very good, just a bit overdone.

Wish you the best on this. I haven't seen any updates, but I'm hoping you'll keep it up. If it's feeling like too much, consider changing it to fewer days of the week or a weekly event.