Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Community projects - why don't they ever succeed?

I remember there being a lot of ideas about community projects way back when. I'm just wondering, why do you guys think that they never succeed?

I think we need a community project, or something like it, where we could at least get together and hang out, talk about stuff.

So why don't community projects ever succeed with Eclipse?

It's a game that's has **work** to be done, and is **in progress.** Sounds like a W.I.P to me. And also, the latest update(according to the title) says 7/2, which is a month ago. So unless he's just being lazy and not updating the title, then I'd say it's done for. It's almost reached the next page, too.

I think her thing is really more a proof-of-concept than an actual "community" game. She even outsourced graphics to someone who wasn't part of this community anyway, the only main thing she does is every game design decision she makes a poll in general chat to gather opinions on.

Anyway, to your question, you know why. It's hard to organize conflicting opinions and talents to one thing. Everyone has their own ideas about things, and most of the people in this "community" are or were here to work on their own game ideas, not sit on a commitee to decide things about some half-organized project.

"Proof of concept"
*Looks at thread title*
"The Eclipse Community **game** Mock Screenshot UP"
Read that 4 letter word that I bolded for you…. are you sure she doesn't just put it in the general chat section just to get more attention? Because that's the feeling I'm getting when I look at it.

I remember last year, Balliztik, Frog, Timus(the hell happened to him?) and I were working on a community project, after posting it in WIP. It didn't get **any attention** at all. Actually, it got about 1 page, but then it died.

For some reason, when you post something in General chat, more people look at it. I think the reason is because it's closer to the top of the forum, thus more easily accessible.

> Anyway, to your question, you know why. It's hard to organize conflicting opinions and talents to one thing. Everyone has their own ideas about things, and most of the people in this "community" are or were here to work on their own game ideas, not sit on a commitee to decide things about some half-organized project.

With good leadership and cooperation combined into one, we could probably do a community project. Now that I think about it, the problem is nobody around here has any leadership… or the people that do, already have their own projects to work on. However, I agree with the last sentence you said; everyone here basically wants to just do what they want, and won't cooperate. Yeah, thanks for helping me answer my question Anna. xD

And Lol @ marshie's reply to Admiral's thread. XD

Yeah she can call it a game all she wants, but she (TT Snim) is "working" on three other projects. So I don't consider her work necessarily a game yet. Notice I've worked on my game longer than 90% of the people here, but I don't have a W.I.P. thread. In fact what you seem to suggest would soon make WIP forum more messy than it already is.

@HailBlazR:

> With good leadership and cooperation combined into one, we could probably do a community project.

So how would you vote such a leadership group? Who would you defer to to be the main decision maker or "tie-breaker" vote?

Lol. 4 projects at once? I see. I thought she was only working on 2? That ~~enoobz~~ [edit] -AHH! I mean emoobz, that was a simple typo, don't get the wrong idea- game and this community thing?
Making the WIP section more messy than it is? No, I think if more good games got posted there, they would survive for a while, and stand out more than the 10 noob games per day.

About the leadership thing…. probably a popular vote... or, if we come to a tie, we'd just have marsh lead. Rofl.

Ah hell. I still think we could use a place to just hang out in and discuss stuff. Then again, there's always MSN and AIM(which I don't have and don't plan on ever getting) and the chat feature(which nobody ever goes on). Oh well.

Let's start up a community MMORPG xD I mean not one that we all help design, I mean a game that we all play. (Maplestory, FlyFF, etc)

@HailBlazR:

> Ah hell. I still think we could use a place to just hang out in and discuss stuff. Then again, there's always MSN and AIM(which I don't have and don't plan on ever getting) and the chat feature(which nobody ever goes on). Oh well.
>
> Let's start up a community MMORPG xD I mean not one that we all help design, I mean a game that we all play. (Maplestory, FlyFF, etc)

Again, if you were searching the forums you'd see that many people are playing on a private WoW server, together.

Yeah I made a typo, i mean three projects, not three other projects. But that's beside the point, all I was saying is every game idea, even when you have "mock screenshots", aren't working games yet. Besides General chat back at the time was pretty quiet and it was good to throw around game ideas in it (since it's about Eclipse in general).

@HailBlazR:

> Don't you have to pay to get WoW onto your computer?

All you have to do is spend 20 bucks on buying WoW itself, then use a private server… Which are free...

And about the communal game thing, TT Snim has been working on that game for quite a while, Marsh and other Admins/mods, have allowed her to post it in the General Chat. As it was not a WIP, because many members were contributing to ideas FOR the WIP.