Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VBMP

Godlord

Greetings,

We all know VBMP, if I still remember well it meant Visual Basic Music Player or Visual Basic Media Player as the first name is completely wrong. Actually, the whole name is wrong.

Well why? For this I made a nice video demonstrating VBMP. Also, check the file extensions I select carefully.

[Download](http://files.filefront.com/VBMPzip/;11429169;/fileinfo.html) (11.05 MB)

As you can see I played MIDI, Wave, MPEG, OGG Vorbis and Windows Media Video correctly. For all these files I have the codecs. But, if I didn't it wouldn't play. This is remarkable. Something else, why does it support Windows Media Video and probably AVI? I though it was a Music Player not a Media Player, unless I got the wrong name. But most programmers know that they can't load any media file without self-written support or without using DirectShow. Well Demon X went for DirectShow, more especially Microsoft Windows Media Player.

Well what's the problem? VBMP is just nothing more than some wrapper. Demon X only made like 1% of VBMP, 99% was made by Microsoft.

Demon X also set up some self-written license. This license forced you to put the logo of VBMP on your application, this was a special offer for Eclipse, Eclipse didn't have to do this at all. This is actually considered as stealing. He said he wrote it himself but he wrote only the wrapper. He only wrote 1% of VBMP probably unless you separate VBMP and Microsoft Windows Media Player.

As you saw in the movie, there was an ActiveMovie window. This only occurs with Microsoft Windows Media Player, this proves that VBMP is just a wrapper using the Microsoft Windows Media Player control.

Thereby VBMP should be free, open-source and have the (L)GPL or BSD license instead also full credit should be given to Microsoft instead of to Demon X as he didn't do much except write probably a few lines of code wherein a few is probably about 40 or so, depending on the methods.

You could better use another API or library instead.

Regards, Godlord.

@dg1423:

> and why are we bringing this up now? I thought we were gonna use DirectSound anyway. o.O

Because the older EEs still have VBMP?

@Simius:

> hmm, I knew something was with vbmp…

Licensing issues were mainly there with VBMP.

Regards, Godlord.

This is old business because the development team decided to not use VBMP a long time ago, and the usage of it is only relevant to them, not the general Eclipse community. All this thread is now, is DemonX bashing (which I'll admit I can get behind usually, but it's not nice to have a thread based on flaming a member or ex-member).