Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a few questions. im making a sonic RPG game. YES BIG PROJECT!!

NDS MASTER

i've got the eclipse final version

becuz for some reason it wont allow me to open the server on the updated version (it pops up many error messages) 

yes, im new to this program and im learning it step by step hoping eventually i will become a pro XD

THANKS, i really appericate you guys helping me.  =D

p.s lol, something tells me godlord is going to see this XD

@NDS:

> p.s lol, something tells me godlord is going to see this XD

Nah, it's my turn to be first :P
If you want to make a platform game, go find out how to make Eclipse platform first before you ask how to make it jump… Also, if you want to make a Sonic RPG (So not an ORPG), using Eclipse will be useless. If you ment a ORPG, fan-games fail for 99% because real fans (not saying you're not one, just the real freaks) will always find out a bug, these things a normal eye/mind can't see.

So, here's my tip: Don't waste your time if you don't know EVERYTHING about Sonic, or got someone who does.
Another tip: Don't make it have Sonic only, some people like Knuckles, Tails etc.

Greetings, Anasky.

A few things…

1\. dont make useless polls. It really freaks out some people around here and is well basiclly useless.
2\. give more detail in your help requests... (what is the acutal error, what version of eclipse are you using... and so on)
3\. I think to do jumping and other things you would be hoping for you would need to do source edits. This requires you to know VB6.

Check out my guide to getting eclipse running. I go over a few error messages and hopefully it will fix whatever problem you are having.

http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,31224.msg284234.html#msg284234

Just advice, unless you plan on some nice source edits, I'd advise against a sonic mmo.

Some of the things sonic games are recognized by(signiture gameplay features) Arent possible without extensive coding, and some not possible at all.
Fangames = Epic Fail unless the gameplay stays comparable to the original's

@DrNova:

> Just advice, unless you plan on some nice source edits, I'd advise against a sonic mmo.
>
> Some of the things sonic games are recognized by(signiture gameplay features) Arent possible without extensive coding, and some not possible at all.
> Fangames = Epic Fail unless the gameplay stays comparable to the original's

yes, sorry if i wasted your time. those screenshots of your errors are the same exact ones i have on my computer. if you would to know the game layout, ill explain

1\. k, well basicly the camera view i want to look like runescape (yes i know XD)

2\. jump action

3\. you lvl up about every 15 times and get a new attack set.

4\. i want the player to have the ablity to change characters from like sonic (lvl 5) to tails (lvl 16)

5\. A BIG ONE! is it possible to make one than one screen (just like runescape)

6\. PARTY/GUILD BOSSES

@Gwen:

> you didnt waste anyone's time…
>
> Were you able to get your errors fixed?

lol yup… now i heard there i have to download "logmein hamachi" if i dont have portforwarding set up on your computer.

i need a lill bit more detail on what that does actually than just allow people to join.

THANKS!!!!

> 1\. k, well basicly the camera view i want to look like runescape (yes i know XD)

Ugh, runescape..  Well if you mean 3d, this isnt a 3d engine, your outta luck.

> 2\. jump action

Learn scripting for a decent one, or learn VB for a good one.

> 3\. you lvl up about every 15 times and get a new attack set.

A poor leveling scheme, if done per timeframe(in my opinon)  But can be done. Again, learn scripting

> 4\. i want the player to have the ablity to change characters from like sonic (lvl 5) to tails (lvl 16)

Easy, if you learn scripting.

> 5\. A BIG ONE! is it possible to make one than one screen (just like runescape)

Learn Visual Basic(6)  What for anyways?

> 6\. PARTY/GUILD BOSSES

There is a party system(basically useless) and a guild system(basically useless as well) already in, learn to script to make custom systems(or code for even better ones)  Bosses can be scriptable.

To sum it all up.
Your going to have to put in the TIME AND EFFORT TO LEARN TO SCRIPT, at the very least.  I say this in bold, because its nearly essential for a succesful project, and especially if you want anything near what you'll need for a sonic project.
Few people ever take the time to learn it though, so I'm not betting money on you for that one.

As for hamachi, dont use it.
Hamachi basically = Project fail.

Even if you manage not to lose dedication and actually put in the effort to make a well crafted game, most people arent going to want to download your game, THEN have to download ANOTHER (crappy) program just to connect to it.

Take the small bit of effort needed to learn port fowarding as well.
Thats my advice, take it or leave it.

(p.s.  Runescape is terrible.  Don't be too inspired by it when making your project.)

@DrNova:

> Ugh, runescape..  Well if you mean 3d, this isnt a 3d engine, your outta luck.
> Learn scripting for a decent one, or learn VB for a good one.A poor leveling scheme, if done per timeframe(in my opinon)  But can be done. Again, learn scripting
> Easy, if you learn scripting.
> Learn Visual Basic(6)  What for anyways?
> There is a party system(basically useless) and a guild system(basically useless as well) already in, learn to script to make custom systems(or code for even better ones)  Bosses can be scriptable.
>
> To sum it all up.
> Your going to have to put in the TIME AND EFFORT TO LEARN TO SCRIPT, at the very least.  I say this in bold, because its nearly essential for a succesful project, and especially if you want anything near what you'll need for a sonic project.
> Few people ever take the time to learn it though, so I'm not betting money on you for that one.
>
> As for hamachi, dont use it.
> Hamachi basically = Project fail.
>
> Even if you manage not to lose dedication and actually put in the effort to make a well crafted game, most people arent going to want to download your game, THEN have to download ANOTHER (crappy) program just to connect to it.
>
> Take the small bit of effort needed to learn port fowarding as well.
> Thats my advice, take it or leave it.
>
> (p.s.  Runescape is terrible.  Don't be too inspired by it when making your project.)

well… so basicly, i have to learn visual basic to anything that i want to do.

what do i have to open to start scripting??

i had a few added questions (i just messed around with and couldnt get to work)

GUI folder:
for some reason i edit the the client. where the NEWS area is. i right clicked the image and "open with" and "paint" i used the bucket tool and changed the news area to white.  it wouldnt show on the client

Sprites:
im trying to add sonic sprites in the GFX folder but where do i go to SELECT edited sprites on the client???

im not sure how do even change the sprites 

BTW, my diciation IS VERYYYYYYYYYY HIGH on eclipse

thanks again!!! DR.Nova =D

You dontt HAVE to learn Visual Basic, you can do a ton with the scripting language(except for duel screens, whatever that is)

All scripts go in the sever folder>scripts folder>main.txt
Take a read through this to learn where everything is

To learn scripting
[http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?board=162.0](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?board=162.0)
Scripting board, with tutorials sub sections, script database, ect

[http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,8502.0.html](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,8502.0.html)
ALL COMMANDS list.  Most of them are easily explained, bookmark this and take the time to look through them.
Most scripting commands are easy to learn.  Also, look through scripts other people have posted, and see how they did it, you can learn alot through studying others scripts.
It isnt as hard as it seems at first, once you start to understand it, it comes easy.
Practice writing simple scripts at first, and then move on to harder ones.
And if you ever get stuck, post your script and ask for help, and people can show you what went wrong.

The news black box is actually in the source (vb6) it covers the background image.
Need VB6 to edit that.

To edit the classes, go to the classes folder in your server folder, and change the sprite number in each class.ini file to the number you want.  Remember, spritesheet starts at 0, not 1

@JoshTheEvilInsaneGod:

> You dontt HAVE to learn Visual Basic, you can do a ton with the scripting language(except for duel screens, whatever that is)
>
> All scripts go in the sever folder>scripts folder>main.txt
> Take a read through this to learn where everything is
>
> To learn scripting
> [http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?board=162.0](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?board=162.0)
> Scripting board, with tutorials sub sections, script database, ect
>
> [http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,8502.0.html](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,8502.0.html)
> ALL COMMANDS list.  Most of them are easily explained, bookmark this and take the time to look through them.
> Most scripting commands are easy to learn.  Also, look through scripts other people have posted, and see how they did it, you can learn alot through studying others scripts.
> It isnt as hard as it seems at first, once you start to understand it, it comes easy.
> Practice writing simple scripts at first, and then move on to harder ones.
> And if you ever get stuck, post your script and ask for help, and people can show you what went wrong.
>
> The news black box is actually in the source (vb6) it covers the background image.
> Need VB6 to edit that.
>
> To edit the classes, go to the classes folder in your server folder, and change the sprite number in each class.ini file to the number you want.  Remember, spritesheet starts at 0, not 1

that helped :D

what should i do with the "elcipse final" since im not using it???? delete it???

im opening "evolotion 2.7 .zip" and doing all this.

@Tom:

> I think only an advanced member with good eclipse experience could pull a fan game off.
> i.e
> Robin- Harvest Moon Orpg
> Kreator- Legend of Zelda Orpg

Rofl. I work on Kreator's game as well xD

So I'm the only person who can pull it off? I'm flattered.

@DrNova:

> *ego pop*
> There are a number of people here who could pull off a fan game.
> But we either want something original,(or some of them just cruise the forums for no other reason then they are addicted)

ROFL. Hypocrisy. That's an even bigger ego than mine ;D

Not really?
If you can map well, and can script well, most games that a fan based game would be done from can be pulled off easily.

I wasnt the one stateing/claiming (w/e) That only "this person and this person" could pull off a fan game.  Just stating that there are a number of people here who could.

I fail to see the ego in that.

@DrNova:

> Not really?
> If you can map well, and can script well, most games that a fan based game would be done from can be pulled off easily.
>
> I wasnt the one stateing/claiming (w/e) That only "this person and this person" could pull off a fan game.  Just stating that there are a number of people here who could.
>
> I fail to see the ego in that.

I replied to someone who said that the only ones who could pull off a fan game were Kreator and Me xD I never actually said I could pull off a fan game, and my reply was in jest.

You, on the other hand, said you could pull it off. :P

As for scripting and mapping, it requires a _lot_ more than that. For one thing, custom graphics. Without them, you're simply re-using old sprites for new things, most of which they aren't suited for. These games also require an extensive knowledge of, well, just general game development. You need to know how to balance, how to bring the original aspects of the game you're basing it on into an online environment…

So yeah, you can't make a _good_ fan game without having good problem solving skills, a good eye for detail, a large knowledge of the engine (Need this more than anything kthx) and many other things.

Basically, you need all the skills the original creators had, as well as some others. I'm sure scripting is a very nice skill to have, but when compared to good programming skills, it's useless.