Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help With Servers

YOUR-DOOM

Excuse me if there is something I don't understand. I'm not a huge guru, but I know a little.

Ok I have a question for anyone who can answer.  :)

This questions IS:

Do I HAVE to use MY computer as the server?

I have a website (christgamers.com). This website I'm assuming works with a REAL server. My question is: Can I use my website as the server for my game.
  This way my users can ALWAYS play my game, and I'm not vulnerably to hack attacks.

Also, I'm a really new member, and although I would find this out one way or another, I just figured I post it here just to find out….

...Not to offend ANYONE, but I don't really agree with the spells, and magic thing, however I like the idea. So my question IS, can I change the wording? Is there someone I can go to change the overall user interface?

I hope I worded my question in a way that a guru, can understand an idiot. Me being the idiot.  :P
I do sometimes have a problem with making my questions understandable.

Thank You, and five stars to this site:  :rstar: :rstar: :rstar: :rstar: :rstar:

yeah the idea might be nice but impossible,
you can't run a program through a site,
you'd have to alter the entire client,
making the client run as client-client
instead of client-server-client
then add odbc to get info from a database

all of this makes it possible to hack so you need to add more checks client side,
you have to move npc's, send the locations to other players, etxc etc

My idea would go something along the lines of storing all the files on a website and altering the clients source to go to a website to get the data instead, fairly simple idea, but I dont do VB6 yet and I am not sure I understand what the server does, but if I knew more, I could probably hook it into the site as well which would make it so that the server could be accessed from the client with ease to carry out all of its servery stuff.

@Dastyruck:

> My idea would go something along the lines of storing all the files on a website and altering the clients source to go to a website to get the data instead, fairly simple idea, but I dont do VB6 yet and I am not sure I understand what the server does, but if I knew more, I could probably hook it into the site as well which would make it so that the server could be accessed from the client with ease to carry out all of its servery stuff.

Well I hope it works, because although it is beyond me, if it DOES work that means:
  1\. MASS Users can CONSTANTLY play the game, without a date or a call.

2\. I'm least likely to get hacked.

As far as the ability to cheat the game easy, I would see that as minor compared to not using it at all. :)

Because the actual info processing happens in the server. The client is only used for gfx rendering.

Also, your-doom, there are servers that can host eclipse, called VPS or virtual private server. There are also people on these forums willing to host eclipse on their own computer, for free, or for a certain amm of $.

I'm 99% sure that eclipse will never be hostable on a website. Hell, 99.9%.

@AdrianC:

> Also, your-doom, there are servers that can host eclipse, called VPS or virtual private server. There are also people on these forums willing to host eclipse on their own computer, for free, or for a certain amm of $.

Were would I find one of these servers? And CAN I run programs from these servers?

Also about how much money would we be looking at. As far as using REAL severs.

However if for some reason you CAN get it working Dastyruck. Then I would LOVE that, as I have a website already going, and I'd hate to pay for 2 servers. 1 site, and 1 server.

@Dastyruck:

> You are just motivating me more… I will make it work, it sounds highly possiblish

Lol, no offense, but you don't seem to know what you're talking about, so I doubt you'll manage. It would be useless anyway, but whatever.

Y-D, you could either search for VPS on google, see what comes up, or post in the recruiting center, asking for a host. There was somebody here who was hosting servers for $15/month.

You can still use the ingame editors without any problems(map editor, item editor, etc). I think some if not all VPS allow remote server access, meaning you could actually go into their computers, and edit stuff there.

Haven't really looked into this sorta stuff for a while, so I can't remember much.

@Dastyruck:

> You are just motivating me more… I will make it work, it sounds highly possiblish

we are not saying it isn't possible,
we are saying it would cause more lag, more posibility to cheat

example:
one player in map 1\. he is the only person there. would you

A) let every client decide where and how the npc should move
B) let the one player decide

solution a gives a lot of lag (every single npc should be processed
solution b gives peopl an easy change to hack

example 2

using a server for all movement and stuff and database for the values,
well still retarded bcause the server needs this info?

example 3
using scripts on the site

with php i made a system once,
you could log in the game,
you could even see the maps
but here comes trouble:
fighting against other players can be laggy,
you could be dead before you get the first attack,
the server is one big huge MOFO :P

Dude, its called an ftp… you can upload all of the files to the site and modify the server and client so that the server is also uploaded onto the site and checks the files stored on the site nstead of in folders, yes I assume there would be more lag. But its an alternative...

3.0 might have less lag. From what I understand, it buffers only a few maps at a time. EE2.7 stores all the maps in memory, therefore creating lag. There are a few other improvements which also reduce lag.

Somebody edited the source once, and they managed to get it to have about 100 people on with no prob. Major source edits were done tho, and as far as I know, they were never release to the public.

@Dastyruck:

> Dude, its called an ftp… you can upload all of the files to the site and modify the server and client so that the server is also uploaded onto the site and checks the files stored on the site nstead of in folders, yes I assume there would be more lag. But its an alternative...

you are still trying to run a server from a website there boy….that's the entire prob....jeez....
running software from a site independantly is impossible...

you'd have to php the files…
or some other language,
it's even possible with the sockets ee is using
like i told you i even made it once,
but the processing it requires, is just sucky

btw...why do you think there isn't a single professional company using sites to control their games?
http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=334645
there a nice little post and get,

if you know php you can send something like index.php?packet=charmove&dir=1&speed=1
really nice and all but,
you retrieve the entire site right back in your buffer, so you have to split the data back into usable blocks
and it would still not be SOFTWARE running, it would be a site showing you stuff
now to something else,
marsh once found a program that runned the client from a website (dont pm-harrash him the site and the software is gone)
but you still had to dowload the software and everything so it would still be cheating :)

now you may notice i have exp in this,
i know where it would lag, why and how,