Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to connect from Vista to XP??¿¿??

Drag0n

Hey, I'm trying t connect my Vista so I can view files on my XP. when I do run>>cmd.exe>>//192.168.1.XX it doesn't work. Here's a pic of the error: [![](http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/1/27/f_Capturem_ddaf564.jpg)](http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/1/27/f_Capturem_ddaf564.jpg&srv=img26)
Gwen was the biggest help so far…
Thanks everyone who helps

Just to make it clearer
My XP is in another room, and I'm trying to view my fils on it because it is really slow, way too many files. I try to do the pic above and that's what comes up
My XP also has a trojan and when I try to log on it freezes about 10 seconds after D:
Trying to get Vista to connect to XP so I can have all my files on here, Thanks again

ok on your xp machine right click the directory you want to share… or you can just right click on C: and share the whole drive. Choose sharing and security. click on you understand the risk of sharing warning. I think it will ask if you want to do the share wizard... just say just share the folder. then click on share folder. click on allow network users to change files if you want to be able to copy to the folder.

then go to start run and type cmd
then type ipconfig and get your xp machine's ip.

now go to vista go to start in the search type \\192.168.1.133 or whatever the ip is.
you should now see your folder.

Your trying a UNC path in cmd, wrong.

Do that in the run command.

In XP : Start, Run, \\IPADDRESS

```
\\192.168.1.#
```
In Vista : Start, in the search bar, \\IPAddress

```
\\192.168.1.#
```

If your using Netbios or DNS within your network (If your not your a tramp), you dont have to worry with ip addresses.

Bring up CMD in either os.

type in : **HOSTNAME**

Then in your respective run box, \\machinename

So for instance my machines name is Anubis,

```
\\Anubis
```
If you are not running on a domain and have not shared the folder with annonamous rights, you will be asked to authenticate in a similar fasion.

```
UN : COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME
PW: PASSWORD ON THE MACHINE YOUR CONNECTING TOO!
```
The username and password will have to exist on the machine youre connecting too!

EDIT :

Dont forget to turn of windows firewall, it hates network sharing.

This is what I get when I do Gwen's thing:
[![](http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/1/28/f_Capturem_46fbfb7.jpg)](http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/1/28/f_Capturem_46fbfb7.jpg&srv=img34)

I do everything, I made my C: shareable.
Help!

hmmmm you could do this, works for me, for when im sharing files over the internet to my friends.

1\. install hamachi (you can google it and download it for free)

2\. once installed give your self a name then create a network give it a random name like "vista2xpham" .

3\. install hamachi on your other machine and join your network name from step 2 "vista2xpham"

4\. then all u have to do is share the folder or drive that you want your other computer to view.

5\. then on the computer you want to view the shared folder, do this

Right click your desktop and hover over "NEW" then click "SHORTCUT" then open hamachi and you will get an ip at the top of it something say 5.45.160.189 or what ever.  Then on the shotcut create window in the blank box type      \\*your hamachi ip here*\*folder name that is shared* so it should look somthing like

\\5.45.160.189\Drive C

then press ok and then the folder should open and there u go you can access your files from your other computer =]

hope this kinda solves your problem not the greatest way i admit but better than nothing? =]

Adam