Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It is in the General Interest of the Eclipse Community

nickko

I would like to speak about some serious matters that have happened in the forum quite recently. It is on my behalf as an administrator to discuss both with the community and the administration of eclipse a problem that is becoming ever more prevelant.

Fan Based Games.

Fan Based Games can be good but most people write them off as soon as they see them. Some of them can be great ideas…but original ideas can be SO much better.
In my personal opinion fan based games show a lack of creativity.

On the legal side of things is copyright issues. Which is almost self explanatory. But what do you do if your work is stolen? You cannot claim it as your own.

The community and administration of eclipse comes here today to discuss wether fan based games should be allowed a place on the forums or not. And also that an encyption method to protect resources and other things relating to eclipse itself should be implemented into the main out of the box package.

Thank you for you time and /discuss.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well for right now, I'm just looking at my game as a fun little project (not a big game). and idk where it will go… If it does in-fact become a huge success.. I definitely will research and read all of the rules and regulations..

I already know not to make money and such...

Isn't this concerning fan games with ONLY ripped stuff and copyright infringements? so like world of hyrule and other fan games with custom everything are ok?

Listen, here is the deal. I am NOT TRYING to sound like I own the place. But here is what it comes down to. I CALLED NINTENDO and was forwarded to get legal advice. I asked ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS. I am willing to ask more so we can make a sticky. So no one post on here thinking they are some lawyer saying its wrong. They may not catch you, but it DOES NOT MEAN its not illegal. Period.

1\. You are 100% allowed to create a fan based game as long as there is NO profits.
2\. You CAN NOT edit any logo's or original art of the company.
3\. You can not add on to the name for example, Pokemon Cyrus or w/e. That is VIOLATING the US Trademark laws that the company owns on those specific names.
4\. Nintendo CAN AND WILL pursue legal action if any of these are violated.
5\. Donations, charging for hosting, cash-shop or extras ARE ILLEGAL if you are not using your 100% own resources including media.

On another note, I called my step mother who has a degree in law and her masters in business. She represents a large company as a part of their legal team. Here is some of the things she cleared up.

1\. NO MATTER what Country you reside in, work that is publicly available on the internet with NO end user license agreement is considered PUBLIC DOMAIN. If you do not own or specify terms for your work or resources, you are not protected. If you do not want to go through the hassle to get a GNU license or pay for copyrights, you can look into a method of image encryption.

There, that is 100% accurate legal information from Nintendo itself, I am going to go ahead and say that applies to any company.

@Crank:

> Listen, here is the deal. I am NOT TRYING to sound like I own the place. But here is what it comes down to. I CALLED NINTENDO and was forwarded to get legal advice. I asked ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS. I am willing to ask more so we can make a sticky. So no one post on here thinking they are some lawyer saying its wrong. They may not catch you, but it DOES NOT MEAN its not illegal. Period.
>
> 1\. You are 100% allowed to create a fan based game as long as there is NO profits.
> 2\. You CAN NOT edit any logo's or original art of the company.
> 3\. You can not add on to the name for example, Pokemon Cyrus or w/e. That is VIOLATING the US Trademark laws that the company owns on those specific names.
> 4\. Nintendo CAN AND WILL pursue legal action if any of these are violated.
> 5\. Donations, charging for hosting, cash-shop or extras ARE ILLEGAL if you are not using your 100% own resources including media.
>
> On another note, I called my step mother who has a degree in law and her masters in business. She represents a large company as a part of their legal team. Here is some of the things she cleared up.
>
> 1\. NO MATTER what Country you reside in, work that is publicly available on the internet with NO end user license agreement is considered PUBLIC DOMAIN. If you do not own or specify terms for your work or resources, you are not protected. If you do not want to go through the hassle to get a GNU license or pay for copyrights, you can look into a method of image encryption.
>
> There, that is 100% accurate legal information from Nintendo itself, I am going to go ahead and say that applies to any company.

So basically you can make a fan game, but aren't allowed to make profits, right? Like that's the main thing.

@[SB:

> Chakkra link=topic=40636.msg399605#msg399605 date=1237241420]
> oh wow, I need a new logo… and a new name for my game. damn.
> Can't use "Keyblade" or "Kingdom hearts"
> AND NEW GRAPHICS

but once you change all that is it even really a fan game any more :/