Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dwarf Fortress

Eviltyphoon

THIS. IS DWARF FORTREEEES!!!!

Get it here: [http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/](http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/)
Wiki page: [http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page](http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page)
Read this, and you'll want to play DF: [BOATMURDERED](http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/)
Some great tutorial videos: [Captnduck's DF tut](http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=captnduck)

What is dwarf fortress?

DF is a [roguelike](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike) game which allows you to build a fortress or adventure in randomly generated worlds. You start with 7 dwarves (in fortress mode) and work your way to becoming a true dwarven mountain home with 150+ dwarves. IF you get this far. Ambushes, tantrum spirals, macaques stealing food, lack of food due to bad management skills are only a few things you need to conquer to actually start a good fortress. This is almost certainly the most complicated game you'll ever play. There are very few limits to what you can do in this game. Your first few fortresses will almost certainly crumble to the ground.

DF has been in development since 2001, with a single coder known as the Toady One. In these 8 years, it has reached version 0.28.181.40d.

Features from the site:

> Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy game. You can control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated, persistent world.
>
> Although Dwarf Fortress is still in a work in progress, many features have already been implemented.
>
>     * The world is randomly generated with distinct civilizations spanning over 1000 years of detailed history, dozens of towns, hundreds of caves and regions with various wildlife.
>     * The world persists as long as you like, over many games, recording historical events and tracking changes.
>     * Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in the mountain.
>           o Craft treasures and furniture from many materials and improve these objects with precious metals, jewels and more.
>           o Defend yourself against attacks from hostile civilizations, the wilderness and the depths.
>           o Support the nobility as they make demands of your populace.
>           o Keep your dwarves happy and read their thoughts as they work and relax.
>           o Z coordinate allows you to dig out fortresses with multiple levels. Build towers or conquer the depths.
>           o Build floodgates to divert water for farming or to drown your adversaries.
>           o Much much more…
>     * Play an adventurer and explore, quest for glory or seek vengeance.
>           o Meet adversaries from previous games.
>           o Recruit people in towns to come with you on your journey.
>           o Explore without cumbersome plot restrictions.
>           o Seamlessly wander the world -- up to 197376 x 197376 squares total -- or travel more rapidly on the region map.
>           o Accept quests from the town and civilization leaders.
>           o Retire and meet your old characters. Bring them along on an adventure with a new character or reactivate them and play directly.
>           o Z coordinate allows you to move seamlessly between dungeon levels and scale structures fighting adversaries above and below.
>     * The combat model uses skills, body parts, wrestling, charging and dodging between squares, bleeding, pain, nausea, and much more.
>     * A dynamic weather model tracks wind, humidity and air masses to create fronts, clouds, rain storms and blizzards.
>     * Over two hundred rock and mineral types are incorporated into the world, placed in their proper geological environments.
>     * Add new creatures, weapons, plants, metals and other objects via modifiable text files.
>     * Extended ASCII character set rendered in 16 colors (including black) as well as 8 background colors (including black).

Now, what does it look like?

![](http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/%7Emayday/files/DF/DFascii.jpg)

WAARGH, ALL I SEE IS LETTERS AND NUMBERS, WTH IS GOING ON?!!!!111!!!111
DF uses ASCII for graphics. It might look weird at first, but believe me, it'll grow on you.

For true ASCII haters, there is however an alternative: Tilesets.
I used a tileset to get in to the game, and after a while, I switched to ASCII, cause that's how it's meant to be played.
The best tileset available (IMO) ATM is Maydays:
![](http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/files/DF/DFG13.png)
Looking better no?

You can download a prepacked version with this tileset on his site: [http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php](http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php)

Disclaimer: Watch out, DF may completely ruin your will to do any work. Very addictive.

tl;dr version: there isn't any, don't be lazy. Or, if you really want one:

tl;dr version: DOWNLOAD AND PLAY

DFing Eclipsers:
- ME!
- Wolf
- King Leonidas
-

Could everyone who plays DF post state it clearly in this topic?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lvoe this game. But I do give one warning. Watch out for this.

IT WILL OWN YOUR LIFE!!

And one more.

For the love of god. Dont build a wooden fort. You will lose. By Dragons or SoF(Spirte of Fire), or fire imps. My whole fort burned to the ground D:

Its a great and very addictive game. You will play at first and lose. You will get used to the controls and "win". You cant really "win". But remember "Losing" is fun!

I had a great fort with 15 dwarves, ver little trained. Only 4 people trained for war. Our of nowhere. A elven attack. My main gate dwarves, ran away to the hills. They were meant to defend. So I set me and one of my dwarves friends in the army. The dwarfs friend was attacked by loads of elves. The rest went inside and one stayed with him attacking him with his wooden sword. I come in and start to fight for him. I got my ass kicked. He had a wooden sword so it didnt kill me. I crawled away in pain. The guy died. Meanwhile, inside the fort, most of my guys were killed and 5 were in the panic room over a chasm. One I locked in his bedroom. :D The elves killed everyone who didnt make it over the bridge before it lifed. My dwarves were getting mad inside the room. So I made them pull the lever to open the bridge. The Elves flood at the guys, who I placed in the army. Some guy, no wreastling experience, started to fight the Elves over the bridge. Tossing many down till he dodged off the bridge. Yes he dodged to the side! Idiot. So the rest of my dwarves kiled them. Tantrun spirals ruined my fort after that. My dwarves went insane.

Yes, I named a dwarf after me.

That was my first fort. Or second. I cant remember. Its a great game that can be very funny to watch. During a siege, some dwarves die. The dwarves are still outside fighting. So some dwarves, not army dwarves, run out to grab the items that have dropped from the dead! Idiots!

I'm running my biggest fort ever atm. (actually only got in to DF a month or so ago)

115 dorfs. I'm working on making a true mountainhome, cause I found an awesome site on the Bay12games forum. It's far from finished, and I'm already 5 years in. Got 2 goblin sieges already, but I just installed my drowning trap. Hooray for 55 z-levels of water pressure!. Now if only the goblins would come to raid already, So I could see if it works.

I find it weird that I still get 20-30 FPS on a 6x6 map with 100 z-level and 115 dorfs, but yeah, I'm not complaining.

Just got 2 failed moods ina row. First one requested sik cloth, while I'm drowning in Plant fiber cloth (stolen from elves), second one requested Silk thread, while I had just stolen 6 plant fiber thread from the elves…

Ive played on the best map. Dwarven Hevean.

* Chasm
* Pit
* Volcano
* THREE GCS
* HFS
* Brook
* Trees

Best… Map... Everrrrrrrrr!!!!

Ive got a fort with near 200 dwarves. I raised max dwarves. Had a king and everything. So I started a plan on making a tower to Armok. Tower going up all the z levels. Each layer made from a different type of metal. Getting mroe in worth when going up. It took me years to nearly complete it. Out of nowhere the orcs, Orc mod FTW, launch a siege at me. 5 groups D: Each with 10 Orcs or so D: I got my army of 50\. All near legendery. They kill lots of my guys. Down to 37 or so dwarves. Later in the year. Just about finished. An Goblin siege. 5 groups again with about 8 or so in each. They brought friggen trolls! TROLLS! While my army of 37 or so fought the goblins and trolls. I wondered. There was only 4 goblin groups at the battle. I looks around to find the other group. They are in my fort. The trolls killing everyone! My men didnt get in time to stop them. They kill my king and me (Another guy named after me. :D). Hell they killed nearly everyone. Everyone was friends with everyone. So insane dwarves came. They I got a megabeast attack D: I couldnt belive it. I was down to something like 60 dwarves. (From a near 200.) IT KICKED THE ARSES OF THE INSANE DWARVES.

Most of my dwarves we're to injured to even crawl to the lever. Everyone was; Healing, Cleaning; or dieing.

I mean I had a MAGMA DROP!!! Magma pumped up several levels above my main gate. It goes into a room filled with floor hatchs. Beforehand, link the foor hatches up to a lever. Something passes by. ITS RAINING LAVA!!

@Hippoman:

> you got that What is Dwarf Fortress right off the main page lol.

No. All of this is written by me, except for the quote ofc.

Anyway, thats not the point. Could everyone who plays DF post state it clearly in this topic? Then I can make a list of eclipse DFers

Oh my dear god!

@SirPenguin:

> I've posted this story countless times before, but it's one of my favorites.
>
> I had a fortress built close to a chasm back when I was new to DF. Thus I didn't fully understand the "implications" such a feature entailed.
>
> I make it to Autumn with literally no hiccups and apparently had built up enough wealth to attract quite a few migrants. Probably close to 14 I think. With them came the usual assortment of peasants, children, and soap makers. This one in particular came with a Fishery Worker who promptly went fishing. She was a female, and yes, this detail is important.
>
> I recruited the peasants (there were two of them) into the military (as usual) and continuing building up my fort.
>
> I'm not sure how much timed passed between then and when my Fisherdwarf was attacked…but it must have been a decent amount, as one of my military dwarves was an Elite Wrestler. His name was Urvad.
>
> Regardless, all of a sudden I see a bunch of "McFisher cancels fish: HOLY SHIT ANTMEN ARE FUCKING CHASING ME!" announcements.
>
> Unfortunately McFisher decided she was too cool to run back to the fortress that was lined with stonefall traps. Instead she ran in circles around the very brook she was fishing out of. So, knowing what to do, I sent in my two man militia to hopefully kill the 3 or so antmen that were chasing her.
>
> One of them made it to her a lot faster than the other (the elite Wrestler, Urvad), and took on the 3 antmen himself. In a fit of rage (I assume!) he tore through 2 of the antmen like they were better. I had high hopes for the guy.
>
> That is, until I saw the Giant Caveswallowman.
>
> The remaining 3rd antman actually continued to chase the McFisher while Urvad had to deal with this bizarre half-man/half-cave swallow abomination. The fight was horrific. Urvad mangled the creature's upperbody, but that's about all he could do. The creature ripped him apart limb from limb...literally. Both of his arms were torn off, leaving this mighty wrestler all but useless. His arms fell at his sides and stained the brook with blood. Urvad fell unconscious.
>
> At that exact moment the second wrestler finally "caught up" and was lucky enough to finish off the cave swallowman by himself. Urvad lived...McFisher did not. She ended up running away from the antman straight into...yes...another group of antmen. She actually ran TO the chasm...I have no idea why. But she died, which made Urvad's efforts entirely fruitless.
>
> After what seemed like an eternity someone finally hauled Urvad to a bed in the barracks where he laid unconscious, his body a bloody mess...and without any arms attached to it.
>
> There Urvad stayed in a coma. He became thirsty, and then finally dehydrated, but he never woke up, and thus no one could give him the water he seeked. I agonized over this, desperately pouring over the Wiki and forums looking for a way to save my warrior.
>
> I found none. Urvad eventually died of thirst.
>
> I had expected this and fashioned an Iron Coffin...too late was I able to process the metal that would have made the armor that could have saved his life. I wondered if it was ironic or perhaps even insulting to bury him in a metal casket for this reason...but the choice was made.
>
> I keep my fortress on a tight schedule to prevent idlers, so the only people available for hauling where the children who I could not force into labor. So it was the two kids who came with the migrants that hauled Urvad's body into his coffin. Then they went outside.
>
> Initially I was very confused and then very horrified given the current situation outside. I had stationed the surviving soldier outside by the door to try and bait some of the antmen into my traps. I entered one of the child's relationship window to see if perhaps one of his parents was the soldier I had stationed outside, as I knew children usually followed their parents around. It was then I found out the horrible truth...the one-in-a-million moment I just witnessed.
>
> These two children were siblings. Their father? None other than Urvad himself.
>
> That was horrifying enough. But the only thing to make it worse...their mother? The Fisherdwarf.
>
> I then replayed the moments of the day back in my mind with this new information. Urvad wasn't just trying to rescue a Fisherdwarf. He was trying to rescue his wife. He failed saving her and ended up losing both of his arms and later, his life, in the effort.
>
> The final icing on the cake, aside from these two orphans burying their father while their mother's corpse lay rotting by the chasm...was when I figured out why they were outside. Remember Urvad's arms being ripped violently off of his body? Well, as I said, they landed by the river. They were now bones...bones that the kids then hauled back to the coffin.
>
> Yes...they were out by the river to fetch the two mighty arm bones their father had lost in the fight trying to rescue their mother.
>
> I actually abandoned that fortress soon after. It was just too much to handle.
>
> Since then, though, whenever I have to name an RPG character, I always pick Urvad as the name.

How friggen depressing. This shows how depth the game is.

I just steal everything they bring. Xcept for wood. I clearcutted my map and got about 1200 loogs. I also just saw I have 20000 rock :P Also got a map with HFS, and thanks to 3Dwarf, I found it (not intentional).

I just got sieged, that gave me the opputunity to test my water trap. I have come to the conclusion that a 55 Z-level single tile pipe is not enough to create the needed pressure.

Screw traps. My army consists of my starting 7\. All at master. My marksdude fires at them for a bit. When I get bored of the being shot in the head. I bring down one of my bridges and fight them. Ive got one hammerdwarf who is a bad parent. Bring both her kids out to batle D: Both babies.

@«:

> [»Wolf«][» link=topic=43313.msg436074#msg436074 date=1240856431]
> They could kill a dragon with one shot dude. Unless your water trap leads them down a chasm. Your screwed if a dragon attacks. Plus it can evaporate the water.

Srry, but I don't get what you're trying to say.

@«:

> [»Wolf«][» link=topic=43313.msg436081#msg436081 date=1240856898]
> Im _trying_ to say. (m bad at it :D) That marksdwarves would be better to kill a dragon than a water trap.

Yer right, but I didn't say I didn't have any marksdwarves ay? I just don't use em as my main defense. (Unless if a dragon would attack ofc)