Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming a Roguelike with ______ Language

Techno 5.0

Just out of curiosity
what language would be best to use to create a Roguelike game.

this is an example of a roguelike
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/105/310843423_4f91c683dc.jpg

i will be building my own engine
probably to let ppl use it
but i need to know which language would be best

dont go c, if you want c go c++, its a popular language in the gaming industry and very versatile.
Personally I still prefer Assembly since almost no game now-a-days is made in pure Assembly and its freaking fast :)

The assembly language you will want to use Ninja is X86\. If you are not good with higher level languages like Visual Basic then you will not fare well in the world of assembly. It requires more of a knowledge of the computer, data flow, and registers which you will have to know by heart. Wikibooks has a very good open source book written on X86 so you might wanna check that out if you are looking for a place to start. C might be a better choice for you. Its a small language but it packs a mighty punch.

• 1 month later...
Python anyone? Clean, easy, and understandable. Also very powerful, as so am I told. I've spent many an hour playing with modules on it.

Definitely either C or C++. Although other languages can be used, I've seen most people using **C**, including me.

@[Nitrus:

> Ninja-Tech link=topic=46481.msg472643#msg472643 date=1245135475]
> ill look into Assembly
> Fast and slightly powerfull is what i need
> got any tutorials that you recommend?

@Zombie0hour:

> The assembly language you will want to use Ninja is X86\. If you are not good with higher level languages like Visual Basic then you will not fare well in the world of assembly. It requires more of a knowledge of the computer, data flow, and registers which you will have to know by heart. Wikibooks has a very good open source book written on X86 so you might wanna check that out if you are looking for a place to start. C might be a better choice for you. Its a small language but it packs a mighty punch.

@Gunghoâ„¢:

> have you tried vb 2010? you could do that… or go vc++...
> if you want speed and only a community that knows how to program id say Assembly

Assembly is platform-restricted. It differs for every single processor platform, then even for every operating system and usually assembler.

Alone with NASM, YASM, TASM, GAS and MASM for Microsoft there are two main syntaxes and thousands of differences between the assemblers themselves. If you go to Linux, you'll most likely have issues. If you go to PowerPC, SPARC, Alpha, AMD, m86K, HPUX, whatever, then you'll have even more issues.

I've got to say too that Assembly isn't worth it. C/C++ compilers are usually way better at optimising than humans are. So, you usually get a slower program than if it would have been done in C/C++.

@Gunghoâ„¢:

> have you tried vb 2010? you could do that… or go vc++...
> if you want speed and only a community that knows how to program id say Assembly

VB2010 is useless for that job and restricts you to .NET instead.

Regards,
  Godlord.