Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trouble with connecting from LAN

Luneth

So I went to freemmorpgmaker.com and downloaded the version of the engine that I saw there because I haven't "Eclipsed" in a while. So I booted it up on the computer I'm hosting the game on and tried to connect on the computer directly next to me that is connected to the same network as me, only wired-ly rather than wirelessly. I tried all sorts of things in the IP on the non-host computer, 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.100, and my real IP. None of these IP's produced a result. I have had internet troubles recently so I have reset some settings. Is there something I am missing? I am able to connect from the host computer fine, but a computer on the same LAN is unable to connect, which it used to be able to do without problem…

Thanks - Luneth

Hi! =)

Can you check if 192.168.0.100 is the Local IP adress of your host machine?

To do this, go to the host computer and press the Windows key on your keyboard + R, then type in CMD, then press enter. A black command prompt should appear. In this prompt, type ipconfig, then press enter again. Your Local IP adress is the "IPv4 adress" under Local Area Network (or something like that, I have a French OS). It should look like 192.168.somestuff.morestuff .

Try connecting to that adress with your other computer, and post back here if the problem persists. =)

Or if the adress you found WAS 192.168.0.100 XD

Hope I helped!
Roujo

@Raichu!:

> If its LAN you don't need to portforward, so it's probably a firewall blocking it. Disable your firewall or allow the server port.

If its running through a router at all you need to port forward.  WLAN and LAN both need port forwarding.  The only way it wouldn't as far as I know is a direct connection to the modem or you place the designated ip fro a certain device in the dmz.

@symphonia117:

> If its running through a router at all you need to port forward.  WLAN and LAN both need port forwarding.  The only way it wouldn't as far as I know is a direct connection to the modem or you place the designated ip fro a certain device in the dmz.

You sure? Cause I can run a eclipse server on my LAN network without port forwarding just fine, I just use the LAN IP, not the public IP

I think Raichu is right on that one, you don't need to portforward if you use your Local IP adresses. Well, at least that's how it works at my place, too.

You need portforwarding when you connect to your server from the internet and the host computer isn't alone on it's network, so the router needs to know that connections on port 4000 (for example) need to be routed to the host computer.

When you connect to the host computer from _within_ the network, even from WLAN to LAN or vice versa, you just need to know the _Local_ IP adress of the host computer and connect to that. The router just transmits the connection normally, no need for portforwarding.

So, as Raichu said, the problem may be the firewall in this case. Make sure your firewall lets the server accept connections on the host computer and lets the client make those connection attemps from your other computer.

Please not that everything I just said is not the absolute truth. =P
It is based on my experience, and on the fact that my laptop is connecting just fine from WLAN to my server on the desktop computer on LAN.
Your results may vary, though I don't think they will. =)

EDIT: Your problem may also be caused by the fact that your LAN and WLAN adresses are not on the same sub-network. For example, your LAN may be 192.168.0.XXX while your WLAN is 192.168.1.XXX . With the classic subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, this would cause the two networks to be separate… Though I think it would still work if you input the right adress... Anyway, just a thought.

@symphonia117:

> Have you port forwarded that ip address?  if not then you need to do that.  make sure it's either reserved or static if your running dhcp.
> check my sig for help
>
> ~symph

You don't need to port forward on LAN, besides it doesn't exist for LAN.

@symphonia117:

> If its running through a router at all you need to port forward.  WLAN and LAN both need port forwarding.  The only way it wouldn't as far as I know is a direct connection to the modem or you place the designated ip fro a certain device in the dmz.

They don't. Port forwarding is only required when somebody from an external network wants to connect to your server, because it'd have to figure out which computer in the network is hosting it.

Client (194.210.43.72) connects to Server at (72.93.95.12:4000).
Router checks up port 4000 and figures out the local IP is 192.168.0.12.
Client connects through the router to the server at 192.168.0.12:4000.

Now tell me, how would this work at LAN? You don't need NAPT at LAN, because you already know who the host is in the network.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Actually, if you stay on LAN, you could have no Internet at _all_ and I should still work… As Zetta Monkey says, it's probably your router if you say that your computer keeps disconnecting from wireless.

Good luck with that! =)
Roujo

@Teh:

> Actually, if you stay on LAN, you could have no Internet at _all_ and I should still work… As Zetta Monkey says, it's probably your router if you say that your computer keeps disconnecting from wireless.
>
> Good luck with that! =)
> Roujo

I broke my router and trying to fix the internet and need the internet to work before I can fix it O_o