Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Extreme Makeover: Character Class Edition

Asvarduil

While this shouldn't be hard to script, thinking this over made me realize there are some serious considerations with my flexible stat system.

In Frellynor, characters wear armors and weapons (medievally themed, no big deal.)  Armors and weapons, however, allow you to equip a gemlike stone called an Aetho that changes your stats.

Red Aethos improve offensive abilities.
Blue Aethos improve defensive abilities.
Green Aethos improve technical abilities.

…however, I'm also building it such that Aethos also feature a drawback too:

Red Aethos reduce a defensive stat.
Blue Aethos reduce a technical stat.
Green Aethos reduce a offensive stat.

…thus causing players to specialize in one stat or another, which I'm OK with, and can probably mathematically plot by writing a short program to look for possible issues/"unwanted" aetho builds.

What my real question is, though, is that I'm planning for player's skills to "evolve" as their most powerful stat does, and I would like some advice about designing and balancing it. 

For example, under my current design, if you're playing a Priest, whose first spell is a heal (Restore), if by a certain number of stats, attack is the strongest, Restore will become Chastise (heals slightly, deals damage as well.); if defense is the strongest, Restore will become Vindication (heals, reduces damage taken slightly.); if tech is highest, Restore will become Vitalize (heals HP and ressurects fallen allies.)

Any feedback about considerations from this system I need is much much much appreciated.

@Asvarduil:

> What my real question is, though, is that I'm planning for player's skills to "evolve" as their most powerful stat does, and I would like some advice about designing and balancing it. 
>
> For example, under my current design, if you're playing a Priest, whose first spell is a heal (Restore), if by a certain number of stats, attack is the strongest, Restore will become Chastise (heals slightly, deals damage as well.); if defense is the strongest, Restore will become Vindication (heals, reduces damage taken slightly.); if tech is highest, Restore will become Vitalize (heals HP and ressurects fallen allies.)
>
> Any feedback about considerations from this system I need is much much much appreciated.

That sounds very neat, but having a heal spell that does damage doesn't make any sense. Maybe have it so it heals and then buffs offensive power instead?

Then have "chastise" be a weak offensive spell, that might change depending on your stats, like it might do more damage if you're STR, or it might do less damage but slow and enemy down or de-buff them from other stats.

Eh, you're right.  For a priest, Heal/Damage _dosen't_ make any sense.  Chastise should be a Priest's bread-n-butter offensive spell.  Restore could become I guess Exhalt (slight healing, atk buff).

I can take the self-heal & damage and make that a Warlock spell.  They're hardcore destroyers anyhow, some life-draining abilities are up their alley anyhow.  Besides, Warlocks in WoW do it. [/uncreative]

@Marsh:

> You could always make it so that the healing spells damage undead. Its a classic and can make priests or healing classes very useful in certain situations.

Well, it _is_ classic in Final Fantasy.  However, Priests have offensive spells of their own, and there aren't a lot of undead in the world of Frellynor - I personally think Undead are a bit overused and would like to try to get away from them.

As far as my classes are concerned, this is what I have in mind: (now posted over on the Frellynor WIP topic.)

Warrior - Melee Fighters - Focus on Attack
Iconic Moves: Backpedal, Riposte, Reckless Cut

Ranger - Ranged Fighters - Focus on Tech
Iconic Moves: Sidestep, Leg Shot

Rogue - Melee Fighters - Focus on Attack
Iconic Moves: Backstab, Cloak, Plant Grenade

Priest - Healers - Focus on Defense
Iconic Moves: Restore, Chastise, Fortify

Archon - Mixed - Focus on Tech
Iconic Moves: Terrify, Disillusion, Mirror Image

Templar - Mixed - Focus on Defense
Iconic Moves: Righteous Shield, Confession, Shackle