Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Setting up my game using a Linksys WRT54G?

Travis

Alright, I have virtually no experience with computer networking, but here's how I started my game:

I turn on the server,
I turn on the client,
I log into the client, and pick my character.

My friend wanted to play, but since I couldn't send him the client folder through email (too big) I put it on a USB stick. I made sure that I used the client out of the original (zipped) folder. I tried to run the game and it wouldn't run on his computer, so I installed the libraries from the website (do you need to do this, or is it just for the owner of the game?). So now, I'm reading about having to "Port forward" and after reading two separate guides, I still have no idea what to do. I really don't want to muck around with my wireless too much.

Could someone please tell me what I need to do to get it so that my friend can play the game?

Try [this](http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/Eclipse.htm).

First open a Command Prompt and type in ipconfig. Then check the IP-address entry, that will be your static IP address to fill in.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Okay so I followed the guide and it still says my port isn't reachable… How exactly do I go about making a static IP address? (I know, I probably sound like a total dumbass right now, but computer networking has really really never been my thing)

@Travis:

> Okay so I followed the guide and it still says my port isn't reachable… How exactly do I go about making a static IP address? (I know, I probably sound like a total dumbass right now, but computer networking has really really never been my thing)

@Godlord:

> First open a Command Prompt and type in ipconfig. Then check the IP-address entry, that will be your static IP address to fill in.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Travis:

> Okay, but when I put that in the table, it says "You cannot use the router IP, network or broadcast address"
>
> Also, it gives me the option to pick between Protocol… does it matter which one?

Should be something like 192.168.1.2\. 192.168.1.1 is your default gateway and 255.255.255.0 is your netmask.

Should be TCP or TCP & UDP.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Damnit!… A new router... we just got our router fixed (after it fried)

Btw I used my real IP address but it was saying that I couldn't so I just put the one you put me (they were basically identical).

Alright, well I'll see about a new router then, but this means that I'm pretty much screwed game-wise.